Blood Work Came Back! Need Advice!

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:

[quote]PureChance wrote:
body temps look good I think given auxillary reading. still very odd about your high TSH.

fluctuating temps if temperature was taken at the same time each day could point to cortisol fluctuations which a 4-times daily saliva test would reveal.

what are your continuing symptoms? what is impacting your quality of life?[/quote]

I also think that there is something wrong with my cortisol levels because usually I have a hard time falling asleep and I also feel much more energized during the night. I actually thought that my AM cortisol levels would be very low since I have a hard time waking up.

Symptoms are no motivation, low energy, moodiness, emotionality, irritability, reduced sexual desire, reduced interest in surroundings, really hard time losing body fat, not improving in the gym (strength, muscle mass), really slow time of recovery. I think that all these are connected to testosterone deficiency. [/quote]

I’m not sure you recognize the importance of PureChance’s first line. Your high TSH is indicative of subclinical hypothyroidism. From personal experience, I know that hypothyroidism is responsible for no motivation, low energy, moodiness, etc…

TSH > 3 is indicative of subclinical hypothyroidism, many people feel best between 1 - 2.
[/quote]

Actually, I do. And I am loading on iodine to see if it helps. I am in no rush.

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:
Actually, I do. And I am loading on iodine to see if it helps. I am in no rush.
[/quote]

Giving iodine to someone with adequate iodine intake can lead to hypothyroidism, specifically autoimmune thyroiditis.

One of the primary risk factors for continuing subclinical hypothryoidism is a shift in iodine intake from mildly deficient to more than adequate.

One of the primary risk factors for new cases of subclinical hypothyroidism is a shift in iodine intake from mildly deficient to more than adequate, or excessive iodine intake.

Iodine is only indicated in cases of iodine-deficient hypothyroidism, something that is exceedingly rare in the developed world.

Bring TSH down, then look at other hormonal issues.

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:
I have been using it for years since I was a little kid. Same goes for iodinezed salt.
Right now I am taking 5000-6000 mcg until I get the iodoral supplement.[/quote]

6 mg of iodide a day is used to treat hyperthyroidism.

See Wolff-Chaikoff.

Are you under a Drs. care? Have you discussed subclinical hypothyroidism with him?

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:
I have been using it for years since I was a little kid. Same goes for iodinezed salt.
Right now I am taking 5000-6000 mcg until I get the iodoral supplement.[/quote]

6 mg of iodide a day is used to treat hyperthyroidism.

See Wolff-Chaikoff.

Are you under a Drs. care? Have you discussed subclinical hypothyroidism with him?[/quote]

No, I don’t have a doctor. And I don’t have insurance. I am doing a research on my own.

After reading about subclinical hypothyroidism I think this is my condition - mild increase in TSH levels and almost optimal fT3 and fT4 levels, elevated total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Seems like loading on iodine is the wrong way to go.

What are some ways to treat subclinical hypothyroidism besides taking thyroid medication?
All I found is to start taking a thyroid medication (levothyroxine for example) at a low dose for 6-8 weeks. Then do a blood test again and reassess.

You treat hypothyroisim by taking levothyroxine. See if you can find some kind of inexpensive acess to a doctor. Generic levothyroxine is available.

You treat hypothyroisim by taking levothyroxine. See if you can find some kind of inexpensive acess to a doctor. Generic levothyroxine is available.[/quote]

I just read in the Life Extension’s book “Disease Prevention and Treatment” that they (from Life Extension) prefer liothyronine instead of levothyroxine because it does not require conversion in the body. What do you think about that?

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:

You treat hypothyroisim by taking levothyroxine. See if you can find some kind of inexpensive acess to a doctor. Generic levothyroxine is available.[/quote]

I just read in the Life Extension’s book “Disease Prevention and Treatment” that they (from Life Extension) prefer liothyronine instead of levothyroxine because it does not require conversion in the body. What do you think about that?

[/quote]

Sorry for my terse answers earlier, I was on my phone.

You’ve opened up a can of worms. Liothyronine typically isn’t used solely, because it has a short half-life and it’s challenging to get consistent serum levels. Levothyroxine has a 6 day half-life so consistent levels are much easier to acheive. There are some among the laity who swear by Armour which is a product made of dessicated pig thyroid glands. The product contains T4, T3, as well as trace amounts of T2 and T1. Most people are efficient convertors of T4, some aren’t. If you aren’t, you may want to try Armour or a product similiar.

The research I’ve read by Clyde, et al as well as Walsh et al shows no improvement in QOL or clinical signs with Armour use versus levothyroxine use. There is one infamous study that many people point to by Bunevicius which shows greater improvement with Armour.

There’s tons of info on Armour, you can check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info.

Edit: Clyde and Walsh studies both looked at levothyroxine + liothyronine treatment versus solely levothyroxine. Armour was not the compound in question.

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry for my terse answers earlier, I was on my phone.

You’ve opened up a can of worms. Liothyronine typically isn’t used solely, because it has a short half-life and it’s challenging to get consistent serum levels. Levothyroxine has a 6 day half-life so consistent levels are much easier to acheive. There are some among the laity who swear by Armour which is a product made of dessicated pig thyroid glands. The product contains T4, T3, as well as trace amounts of T2 and T1. Most people are efficient convertors of T4, some aren’t. If you aren’t, you may want to try Armour or a product similiar.

The research I’ve read by Clyde, et al as well as Walsh et al shows no improvement in QOL or clinical signs with Armour use versus levothyroxine use. There is one infamous study that many people point to by Bunevicius which shows greater improvement with Armour.

There’s tons of info on Armour, you can check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info.

Edit: Clyde and Walsh studies both looked at levothyroxine + liothyronine treatment versus solely levothyroxine. Armour was not the compound in question.
[/quote]

That’s what I found interesting in the book. I knew that Liothyronine has very short half-life and should be taken multiply times a day but instead they suggested only one daily intake in the morning.

I will start with levothyroxine and see if it works for me. If it doesn’t work I may try Armour.

Thanks for your help.

[quote]Dinko83 wrote:
That’s what I found interesting in the book. I knew that Liothyronine has very short half-life and should be taken multiply times a day but instead they suggested only one daily intake in the morning.
[/quote]

that is why so many medical studies have to be taken with the grain of salt. They take a faulty premise and then go on to prove that the supposed alternative is worthless.

I.E. -

Premise: Testosterone gels are superior to injections because the gels give you a more consistent level of Testosterone. Of course, they don’t tell you that they were comparing the gel to T-Cyp Shots every two weeks (which we all know is insane).

Premise: T4only is superior to T3only because T3only does not stay in the system long enough. Of course, they don’t compare T4only to taking T3only multiple times per day.