T Nation

Blood Work and Progesterone

Hi Guys,

Warning! Looong ass post

5’10
88kg
12-14% bf

Went to the doc with what i suspected were low t levels and high aromatization. No morning wood. And to be honest i can’t ever remember having morning wood. I do get real horny in the afternoon though? Had puffy nips and minor gyno since puberty. Balding since 27. Don’t handle caffeine very well at all (i swear it comes straight out my arm pits) and am a bit of a heavy sweater just in he armpit area anyway. Is this weak liver phase 1 or phase 2 detox pathway? Am a bit of an overthinker and stress naturally but believe to have been under much adrenal stress years ago. Tired but wired, couldn’t fall asleep, wake up drained. Relied on coffee etc

Originally got GP to bloodwork but wasn’t happy with it as he seemed very ill informed. Said he never checked e2 in men. EVER! These were those results

Test : 28nmol/l range (8.1 - 29)

Oestrogen : less than 100pmol/L

Asked him for the exact amount and he said the labs don’t give exact amounts? After second test it appears they don’t give results lower than 80pmol/L in Oz??WTF?

Lh 5.1 Iu/L range = less than 7
HDL 1.5 nmol/l (>1.0 desireable)
LDL 2.9 nmol ( 2.1 - 4.0 )
Ratio 3.1 ( <5.0 )

TSH 1.7mIU/L range = (0.5-4.5)

Serum/Plasma Glucose (16 hours fasted)
5.0 mmol/L (3.4-5.4)

Vitamin B12 1022pmol/l (180-740)
Any problems being too high here?

Borderline Neutropenia.

Results from second bloodwork from HRT doc :

FSH - 6.5 (1.5 - 13)
LH - 5.7(2-10)
E2 - 112 (<160 is optmal)
Progesterone - 1.5 (.22-1.4) optimal = 3.8
Total Test - 31.2 (12-32)
SHBG - 63(15-50)
Free T 51.4 (43 - 138)
Free androgen index 49.5(15-100)
DHEA-s 4.4 (2.5-13)

He’s recommended Keto DHEA 50mg per day. He thinks my body is trying to raise SHBG by raising progesterone. I’ve been reading heaps of stuff and am confused now. Doesn’t progesterone protect men against E? He said it’s high at 1.5 but optimal is 3.8??

I said won’t introducing DHEA likely increase E2 and it’s too high anyway (not bottom third of range). He want’s to try this for 6 weeks and re test and if no improvement in mood and morning wood he’ll give me some arimidex…

He doesn’t like arimidex cause of sides and effect on the liver. I told him dose is individual and a matter of finding the right dose. He’s a good guy and was genuinely very helpful.

What do you guys think?

If your adrenals are weak, lower levels of DHEA can occur, that can rate limit progesterone production. The adrenals use progesterone to make cortisol as needed. If your get over stressed easily, that indicates adrenal fatigue. Suggest that you get a script for 50mg DHEA and see how your body responds to that.

Your doc may be calling out an E2 test for women that does not resolve lower levels. Wrong labs. What was the E2 lab range for a male?

If progesterone is [.22-1.4], how can 3.2 be optimal? You are at top range now. Typo?

Vitamin-D? Fish oils and other EFAs?

Taking meds for the balding? Taking other meds, Rx, OTC?

What do you use to help you sleep?

Waist size?

[quote]KSman wrote:
If your adrenals are weak, lower levels of DHEA can occur, that can rate limit progesterone production. The adrenals use progesterone to make cortisol as needed. If your get over stressed easily, that indicates adrenal fatigue. Suggest that you get a script for 50mg DHEA and see how your body responds to that.[/quote]

So that means cause my adrenals are weak they aren’t using the available progesterone to make enough cortisol hence low energy and abundandt progesterone. The extra DHEA will strengthen up the adrenals and use up more Progesterone? Getting the script today. Doc also recommended 50mg per day.

What about the high SHBG?

The lab range for male was less than 160. I hammered him about this and said i want to know the exact number and be in the bottom third and he said australian labs don’t report E below 80 on this scale. I said why? And he just said they don’t. Weird. Next time i will see if there are different labs and tests to take but he was adamant they don’t. Maybe we’re just behind. It wouldn’t be the first time :slight_smile:

I’ll double check but yeah i think i just got confused after the hours of reading up on this stuff.

No D but i try and get half an hour of Aussie sun a day. Currently 9 - 12 grams of fish oil.

Mach 4 Razor blade :slight_smile:

No meds. Heavy Rx usage in teens and twenties. That’s what’s probably contributed to the adrenal weakness.

Magnesium and sometimes valerian or calming herb formulas.

33.5 inches