T Nation

Blood Work and Key Indicators

I was wondering if any of the experts out there could help me with this. I recently resumed lifting after a year, needless to say it was like re-starting from the ground up. I had put on about 15 lbs (most likely fat). After several failed attempts at doing consistent exercising, I finally got it nailed. I’m getting stronger and slowly, very slowly losing fat (in the process of establishing a diet plan).

Anyway to cut a long story short I’m thinking of doing some blood work to see if hormone levels and other key indicators are within normal range. After reading some of the factors on this website that can affect fat loss such as cortisol levels, insulin sensitivity and T levels, I’ve realised that it would be helpful to know this stuff.

My question is what exactly should i ask my doctor to check besides those which i mentioned? Also, should i do any other type of test(s). It seems to be very difficult to lose the beer gut.

the first step to losing the beer gut is to stop drinking beer, and alcohol in general

If you are struggling to lose bodyfat then it is always advisable to objectively and honestly analyse your lifstyle (what you do outside of exercise hours), dietary habits (both food choices, meal timing etc) and training. Even in the face of poor blood work much pogress can be made with a few simple tweaks here and there.

Also, significant improvements in blood work values can be achieved by modifying the diet. Anyway, you could test for:

1. Total test
  2. Free test
  3. SHBG
  4. E2
  5. Free T3
  6. Free T4
  7. TSH
  8. GH, IGF-1
  9. L.H, F.S.H
  10. Cortisol
  11. Prolactin
  12. FBC, PSA, DHEAS, lipids etc etc

There are numerous other tests that can be taken also.

Thanks for the responses.

Cyph, I have had to look long and hard at my lifestyle and I’m in the process of making some drastic changes. I’m hell bent on shedding the lard and i know i’ll have some sacrifices to make, but so be it.

I’ll take note of those indicators you mentioned dave. So when I am ready to do those test i’ll have something to work with. In the mean time i’ll maintain a clean diet with heavy exercise.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses.

Cyph, I have had to look long and hard at my lifestyle and I’m in the process of making some drastic changes. I’m hell bent on shedding the lard and i know i’ll have some sacrifices to make, but so be it.

I’ll take note of those indicators you mentioned dave. So when I am ready to do those test i’ll have something to work with. In the mean time i’ll maintain a clean diet with heavy exercise.

Thanks again.

One thing that is frequently asked in healthcare regarding lab tests/studies is whether the results will actually alter the management of the patient. In other words, will a positive or negative test result cause you to treat the patient differently than had you not had that test result.

For you, you plan on fixing your diet and busting your ass in the gym. The question you need to ask is: Will the test results make me change my diet or routine to something other than your new diet/exercise plan? If yes, then go for the tests. If no, you might want to spend the $ on something else. However, if you suspect there is something out of whack, like low testosterone, that’s a different story–then go for it.