Blood Test Results

Talk about being blown away! I was totally shocked by the blood test results I just received.

Here are some of my ABNORMAL values (norms in parenthesis):

Triglyceride 30 (40-149)
VLDL 6 (8-32)
HDL 37 (40-70)
LDL 110 (60-99)
Urine pH 8.5 (4.4-7.9)
Total Protein 6.4 (6.5-8)

Although my fasting glucose was “normal” at 97 (74-99), that’s still WAY too high for someone with my/our liftestyle.
Important points:
-Total cholesterol was 159
-Test performed following a 12 hour fast (>14h without CHO)
-I believe that VLDL is just TG’s/5
-How the hell is it possible to have HYPOtriglyceridemia?!
-I’d like to imagine that HDL is low because my test is jacked up, but it’s still lethal
-I would have thought that the results were screwed because of the fast and my body was in ketosis (somehow), but the blood glucose and urine pH don’t support this (no surprise there)
-My diet is squeaky clean, so if these are normal values I’m just going to start coffin shopping now
-Worked out in evening, had post W/O drink, then PC meal, then my final PF meal (night before test)
-My request for a hormonal profile was declined (free physical so I can’t complain)
-All other immunological/hepatic etc. parameters normal

I look forward to solving this biochemical puzzle, but at the same time, it’s scary as hell.

Cheers

David, hopefully some of our blood-test-savvy types will stop by with their thoughts as well. In the meantime, the following should provide you with some food for thought and a point from which you can kick off your own research, as I know that happens to be one of your strengths.

Urine pH. pH for urine and saliva is often tested by those who are concerned with their body’s acid-base load. 6.3 to 6.9 is a good range for nonvegetarians and lactovegetarians. If you find you’re too acidic, you can alter your pH (i.e., make it more alkaline) by increasing your intake of fruits and veggies. Protein, grains and dairy are all acid-forming foods, so you need those alkalinizing veggies to reduce acidity.

But back to your numbers, the more effective urine test is a 24-hour urine sample, where you collect all the urine you produce for 24 hours. Shake the total collection a few times and dip in some pH paper and read it. The least expensive and most accurate pH paper is pHydrion paper by Micro Essential Laboratory, Inc., in Brooklyn NY. Get the paper that has a range from 5.5 to 8.0.

Docs, even the alternatively minded ones and those who are extremely savvy in the area of hormone production and balance don’t seem to get too excited by low cholesterol numbers. Mine used to run 170. Once I started eating like a BB and working out, it dropped to 110. It would have to be below 100 before they started looking at you funny and worrying about you. What the docs do seem to worry about is the ratio of LDL to HDL. You get the ratio by dividing your LDL number by your HDL number. Yours is 2.97. Low risk measures usually between 3.3 to 4.4. Average risk falls between 4.4 and 7.1, moderate risk is between 7.1 and 11.0, and high risk is 11.0 and up. In your case, I’m not sure I would worry about your cholesterol. What I don’t get from the numbers above, though, is that Total Cholesterol = HDL + LDL+ VLDL. The numbers above don’t add up to 159. To increase you numbers a bit, try limiting Omega 3 intake to 1T per day, no more than that. Omega 3 intake reduces total cholesterol numbers (HDL and LDL, both). Continue to supplement with monounsaturated fat. And don’t hesitate to enjoy those food sources high(er) in saturated fat.

Because of your higher-than-normal fasting glucose number, I would be inclined to look at glucose disposal agents taken in conjunction with your starchy-carb meals. And even then, I would recommend that you limit starchy carbs to PWO only as that is the time physiologically that your body can take advantage of non-insulin mediated glucose uptake. You should be eating predominantly green veggies, except for PWO. Glucose disposal agents might include r-ALA (better than ALA), vanadyl-sulfate and chromium. Do you take a multivitamin? If you dont, start now! It’s possible you’re deficient in vanadium and/or chromium, both trace minerals required by the body for normal function, specifically glucose metabolism.

Extremely low triglycerides levels (less than 10 mg/dL) can indicate a problem. Low levels may indicate malnutrition (not enough nutrients in the diet), malabsorption (inadequate absorption of nutrients in the intestinal tract), a diet too low in fat, or an overactive thyroid problem. If you’re into experimenting a bit, I would recommend a good digestive enzyme with all meals and a good probiotic to repopulate/support the good bacteria in the gut. I’ll make the assumption that you’re getting enough fat in your diet.

Okay, that’s the best I’ve got, David. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Triglyceride 30 (40-149)
VLDL 6 (8-32)
HDL 37 (40-70)
LDL 110 (60-99)

your ldl is slightly high… ldl is also called “bad cholesterol” (you probably knew that). you should try increasing your hdl and lowering your ldl… otherwise you seem pretty healthy. try polysaturated fats (vegetable sources). they have the better chollesterol type in them. see if this type of thing runs in your family, you might want to get medication for it (for high cholesterol). it’s better to start early and take precautions. i know. you work out and lead a healthy lifestyle… sometiems these things are just unavoidable due to genetics and familial trends.

good luck.

David,

I think I may have the answer.

The low triglycerides and low total protein are both typical of someone who is malnourished. How do you take in appropriate (or even optimal) nutrition and become malnourished? The most likely answer is malabsorption. It might take a gastroenterologist to sort out why. A few thoughts:

1. Do you eat a lot of milk/whey, wheat, or sushi?
  2. Do you have chronic gastrointestinal complaints (gas, diarrhea, etc)?
  3. Have you been on long term antibiotics?

The traditional medicine list of most common causes of malabsorption that might apply to you:

? Lactose intolerance
? Celiac disease (gluten-induced-enteropathy, sprue)
? Whipple disease
? Bovine lactalbumin intolerance (cow’s milk protein)
? Soy milk protein intolerance
? Parasites
? Chronic pancreatitis

1. If none of these apply to you, and a gastroenterologist cannot find any reason, then I would suggest TT?s approach. BTW TT, are you sure you don?t want to be a doc?you?re 3/4 the way there already?):

2. Digestive enzymes. I?ve taken many over the years, but the best kind are plant based because they work in a wide pH range:

‘The plant-based and microbial enzymes in Similase are acid-stable and therefore survive exposure to stomach acidity without the need for enteric coatings?. They have been shown to have aggregate activity in a pH range of 2-12 and therefore support digestion beginning in the stomach and continuing in the small intestine’

I have no commercial interest in the company, but I?ve found similase by tyler to be one of the better ones.

1. A high quality flora (acidophilus/bifidus) supplement.

There are other steps. Feel free to PM me if you wind up this far down this road.

Scott

Dave, take ScottL up on his offer. He really knows his stuff, not to mention the fact that along with being alternatively open-minded, he has the traditional medical training and credentials to go with it; i.e., his MD.

Now, I’ve got to go check out that Similase reference of his, as the therapeutic use of enzymes is my newest area of research interest. (grin)

David,

One other thing. TT told me of your research interest which reminds me: L-glutamine may or may not do anything for your lifting, but it should be helpful for the health of your intestinal lining, and may be helpful if you do have malabsorption, no matter what the cause.

Thanks for the replies guys! It’s great that you took the time to reply when even the MD who performed the tests didn’t care -free test, so I guess you get what you pay for.:slight_smile:

I’m surprised that the cholesterol ratio is BELOW the lowest risk range, when both components are off in the worst possible way.

I looked up the alkaline urine and found 2 possibilities, a urinary tract infection (which was ruled out by the MD somehow) and kidney stones. Perfect.

The thought of being insulin resistant despite my Spartan lifestyle is both scary and depressing. I can only hope that I was in a temporary state of insulin resistance following training. I guess we?ll see…
I?ll get the tests redone this September when I go back to Canadia just to be sure there was no freak occurrence there.

Regardless, I?ll definitely look into your suggestions!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate that!