T Nation

Blood Test Results - Low T?

I just got my blood test results back as part of my yearly routine physical. While my doctor isn’t concerned about anything (everything except my uric acid levels are within normal range, and I expected that to be high because gout runs in my family), some of these numbers don’t seem ideal.

Some basic background info: 28-year-old male. Lift 5 times per week. I’m in the middle of a cut (not sure if that matters or not).

Anyway, here are some of the results:

Variable Result Normal Range
Testosterone Total 322ng/dL (280-800)
Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy 34ng/mL (30-80)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone 0.99 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)
Uric Acid 7.5 mg/dL (3.4-7.0)
Cholesterol 192 mg/dL (<200)
Triglyceride 95 mg/dL (<150)
HDL 53 mg/dL (>40)
Non-HDL 139 mg/dL (<160)
LDL Chol, calculated 120 mg/dL (<130)
Chol/HDL 3.6 (<6.0)

I’m most concerned about the Total Test levels. As I understand it, the reference range for normal includes a large spectrum of young to old men. As a 28 year old, I’d expect to at least be in the middle of that reference range if not towards the top.

As a result, I’m thinking about getting some extra blood work done, but I’m not sure what to request as far as that goes (Free Test levels, estrogen, estradiol, etc.).

If some of the guys on here more familiar with this stuff could comment on my results and make some recommendations regarding further testing, I’d really appreciate it. Feel free to ask any questions that would help as well.

Read the trt thread in the over 35 forum.