T Nation

Blood Test Results, Feedback?

Hi guys,

Got a blood test for the first time in years and here are the "flags."

Things I'm not worried about:

Chloride: 96 (97 minimum).. I think I can just drink more water or knock off the creatine
Total Cholesterol: 201 (199 max)

The only thing that is kind of concerning is my LDL cholesterol at 109 (99 max). I eat a fairly high fat diet (over 40 percent of my cals), so maybe this is catching up w/ me. It could be my fat sources, I guess. I eat a lot of chicken. My carb tolerance has increased a bit, so perhaps it's time for a switch up (A1C was 4.9 (4.8 min)?

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Hi guys,

Got a blood test for the first time in years and here are the “flags.”

Things I’m not worried about:

Chloride: 96 (97 minimum)… I think I can just drink more water or knock off the creatine
Total Cholesterol: 201 (199 max)

The only thing that is kind of concerning is my LDL cholesterol at 109 (99 max). I eat a fairly high fat diet (over 40 percent of my cals), so maybe this is catching up w/ me. It could be my fat sources, I guess. I eat a lot of chicken. My carb tolerance has increased a bit, so perhaps it’s time for a switch up (A1C was 4.9 (4.8 min)? [/quote]

Are you serious?

A couple of things. You might want a higher cholesterol!.

LDL can be higher in someone who has not been sick for quite a while as it tends to get used up by the immune system fighting infections.

RAW LDL means very little, and 109 is utterly compatable with good health in any regard as your HDL is implicitly (by your remarks) in range-your ration must be OK at least.

Most negative lipid profile issues are the result of more carbs not fewer carbs.

I see what you mean. My Tris and HDL are good. And my calculated cardio risk is fine, despite the LDL. Needless to say, try to find some info on LDL online, and there’s a not a lot of good stuff.

Either way, based on my A1C, sounds like I can bump up the carbs a bit.