T Nation

Blood Test Interpretation Help

Hi All

I had some blood tests done (though probably not an extensive panel as I should have) and was hoping for some input on the results. I was being tested to see if any of my adrenal function was abnormal. Total test seems really low (really all numbers seem low), but I’m also not sure how they all interrelate and if there are typical ratios/relationships among Total T, Free T, and DHEAS. Some basic info about me: 26 year old; 175lbs; 5’10". Also been on isotretinoin for ~2 months at time of blood test. Any input greatly appreciated as the Dr office called and said my results are “normal”.

-height: 5’10"
-waist: 33
-weight: 175
-describe body and facial hair: Not very hairy. Fairly hairy legs, no chest/back hair. I can’t grow a full beard, but grows normally around mustache/goatee area. Basically same as dad/grandfathers
-describe where you carry fat and how changed: Ectomorph, so never had much trouble with fat. When I do carry fat, it’s in my stomach area.
-health conditions, symptoms [history]: Main problem has been acne. Recently, lower libido, fatigue, moodiness, irritability
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: No hairloss/prostate drugs. Currently on isotretinoin (3rd time)
-lab results with ranges: See below
-describe diet: isotretinoin has made me lose appetite. Prior to that, I’d have 2,500-3,000 calories, roughly 40/40/20% Carb/Prot/Fat
-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]: Past few years have been fairly consistent 3-4 days a week, ~1 hour sessions. No cardio
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: Not sure about nocturnal erections, but morning wood has not been every morning

Test results:
Plasma Renin Activity: 3.68 ng/mL/h (Reference range: 0.25-5.82)
Aldosterone: 3 ng/dL (Ref: <=28 ng/dL)

Testosterone, Total: 254 ng/dL (Ref: 250-1,100 ng/dL)
Testosterone, Free: 66.5 pg/mL (Ref: 35-155 pg/mL)
DHEA Sulfate: 322 mcg/dL (Ref: 110-510 mcg/dL)

Symptoms?

The reason for going in he first place was acne that barely responds to isotretinoin as i was thinkinh there could be other rrasons for it. I’ve heard DHEAS levels being out of whack can effect acne an decadron (im forgetting the chemical name) can reduce the levels. Also experiencing low libido, tiredness (these are also side effect of the isotretinoin)

NOTE: I updated my first post with the info suggested in the sticky