T Nation

Blood Test For Testosterone

My doctor is requesting some blood work on me. I noticed one of the boxes checked stated testosterone. Will this reveal, if I am on a cycle?

Yes, I am on a cycle

Hopefully it will show a higher level of test or your cycle is not doing you any good…
What are you worried about and why do you need to have blood work done?

if your on more than 200-300 per week,of test,then yes your levels will be elevated. for example, here are the results of a study (Storer TW, Magliano L, Woodhouse L, Lee ML, Dzekov C, Dzekov J, Casaburi R, Bhasin S; Testosterone dose-dependently increases maximal voluntary strength and leg power, but does not affect fatigability or specific tension; J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Apr;88(4):1478-85:

…weekly injections of 25, 50, 125, 300, or 600 mg testosterone enanthate for 20 wk. These doses produced mean nadir testosterone concentrations of 253, 306, 542, 1345, and 2370 ng/dl, respectively.

free test was elevated too:
Sinha-Hikim I, Artaza J, Woodhouse L, Gonzalez-Cadavid N, Singh AB, Lee MI, Storer TW, Casaburi R, Shen R, Bhasin S; Testosterone-induced increase in muscle size in healthy young men is associated with muscle fiber hypertrophy; Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Jul;283(1):E154-64.
(measured in pg/mL - that is picograms per mL)

Baseline 62+/-22 60+/-25 55+/-24 72+/-22 69+/-27
Week 16 27+/-22 33+/-25 58+/-24 137+/-22 341+/-27

both of these studies were performed on young, healthy men (18-35) and also a GnRH agonist was used to suppress endogenous production. this state would be equal roughly to the body about 3-4 weeks after starting a test cycle. your levels should be close to the given values for the indicated doses, if you used more, obviously the levels will be higher.

i urge anyone who is interested to look up the studies on pubmed, there are links to free pdf’s for most of them. also look at all of the studies that ‘bhasin s’ is involved (just type it into the search bar and hit return) and then at the end one can look up the references.