T Nation

Blood Sugar/Eating Every 2 Hours

I have been experiencing fatigue for about 3 months now that will not go away. Just a constant feeling of tiredness even though I sleep 9 hours a night. I am currently nearing the end of a bulk and eat 4200 calories on training days and 3800 on non training days. I eat every 2 hours to get these calories in. Is it possible that eating every 2 hours and having carbs in most of these meals is raising my blood sugar levels and causing the tiredness?

Read this article by TC:

So yes, I think it is possible. However there’s tons of factors as to why you feel tired all the time. So this may or may not be the issue.

are you fat, serious.

because I experienced this when I did a pretty extreme bulk.

why dont you try and get some blood work done

why dont you try decreasing meals to 3-4 hrs apart—i eat 6 meals a day and have an intra workout shake and i eat about every 3hours and feeling fucking awesome every day!!!

another possibility is that 4200 calories might just be over doing it–when i was “fat kid” bulking i felt like crap a lot and actually when i started to diet, felt a lot better.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
…and feeling fucking awesome every day!!!
[/quote]

haha

Yes, it is possible you are driving toward insulin resistance. That won’t just make you tired, it will also be bad for muscle growth.

Get checked out for gluten intolerance.
It can be nasty crap.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m fat… ish. I’m almost at my goal weight of 225 (222 right now). I have been debating in wether to hold this weight for awhile and recomp or cut… I’m 6’2 up from 139 a little over a year and a half ago. Ill def make a doctors appt and schedule to get some blood work done. I hope it’s not a gluten intolerance cause that would be a real biitch. I have no reason to believe its a gluten intolerance though

I wouldn’t even bother with the doctors visit myself, just cut it out 100% for a month or so and see how you feel. I doubt I would show positive myself, but dropping it out at first did wonders for me. One of the best habits I picked up from this site.

86lb increase in a year and a half seems a bit much though (I’m no expert though, so maybe I’m wrong there…I wouldn’t be surprised so I’ll let others talk :P)

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I wouldn’t even bother with the doctors visit myself, just cut it out 100% for a month or so and see how you feel. I doubt I would show positive myself, but dropping it out at first did wonders for me. One of the best habits I picked up from this site.
[/quote]

x2

I eat steak instead of bread.

if you’re pretty fat this could seriously be your biggest problem.

When I was fat I was tired all the time. My testosterone was really low and my estradiol was through the roof.

I’d either fall asleep but still feel like I was awake all night or I’d regularly be knocked out sleep 9-10 hours and wake up and need a nap not even an hour or two later as well as 2-3 naps throughout the day. eventually this also took a toll on my cortisol.

I got more and more depressed for absolutely no reason and little things would fustrate me to no end.

This didn’t get better until I lost 30-40lbs and started being more concerned with general health. Now I feel like a new man. Confident and usually pretty chipper.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m fat… ish. I’m almost at my goal weight of 225 (222 right now). I have been debating in wether to hold this weight for awhile and recomp or cut… I’m 6’2 up from 139 a little over a year and a half ago. Ill def make a doctors appt and schedule to get some blood work done. I hope it’s not a gluten intolerance cause that would be a real biitch. I have no reason to believe its a gluten intolerance though [/quote]

Id say reduce calories and start dieting now—putting on 3 more lbs probably wont help your physique anymore—dieting could make a world of difference for how you feel

"I’d either fall asleep but still feel like I was awake all night or I’d regularly be knocked out sleep 9-10 hours and wake up and need a nap not even an hour or two later as well as 2-3 naps throughout the day. eventually this also took a toll on my cortisol.

I got more and more depressed for absolutely no reason and little things would fustrate me to no end. "

you just summed up my existance for the past 4 months or so… I have fat but I didn’t think I was that fat. I mean, it collects around my love handles and lower abs but its not like I’m a fat person.

Anyways I think I may cut… I have never done this before and spent the past almost 2 years in the complete opposite mindset… I know how to get big, but I have very little idea on how to get lean. This might sound stupid but its like a whole other world to me, which is ironic cause I always used to be that skinny kid. I guess I’m afraid of going back to that…

Anyways I have so many questions. I’ll start with a few here cause I have a ton of knowledgable guys attention already.

  1. Most importantly, will I lose strength if I drop about 20 lbs?
  2. Will I lose a lot of size? My chest is pretty small and the fat kinda “fills it out” and hides the fact that it isn’t that big.
  3. What is the best way to go about this?

Lastly should I cut calories or add cardio… or both? I have honestly done no cardio up until about a month ago and this has been minimal.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
"I’d either fall asleep but still feel like I was awake all night or I’d regularly be knocked out sleep 9-10 hours and wake up and need a nap not even an hour or two later as well as 2-3 naps throughout the day. eventually this also took a toll on my cortisol.

I got more and more depressed for absolutely no reason and little things would fustrate me to no end. "

you just summed up my existance for the past 4 months or so… I have fat but I didn’t think I was that fat. I mean, it collects around my love handles and lower abs but its not like I’m a fat person.

Anyways I think I may cut… I have never done this before and spent the past almost 2 years in the complete opposite mindset… I know how to get big, but I have very little idea on how to get lean. This might sound stupid but its like a whole other world to me, which is ironic cause I always used to be that skinny kid. I guess I’m afraid of going back to that…

Anyways I have so many questions. I’ll start with a few here cause I have a ton of knowledgable guys attention already.

  1. Most importantly, will I lose strength if I drop about 20 lbs?
  2. Will I lose a lot of size? My chest is pretty small and the fat kinda “fills it out” and hides the fact that it isn’t that big.
  3. What is the best way to go about this?
    [/quote]

Pics would help, But I’d second the cut. Pushing your body like that just isn’t worth it.

There are a million ways to go about it. I like to put in more work and keep my calories as high as possible while cutting way down on carbs and only having them after training.

If you are chubby at 220, 20 pounds probably won’t do it, by the way. Depends on where you want to go.

Damn I was hoping I could get to about 10% at 205. I have somewhat recent pics up in my log. Post your comments here. Thanks a ton for the help guys

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Damn I was hoping I could get to about 10% at 205. I have somewhat recent pics up in my log. Post your comments here. Thanks a ton for the help guys [/quote]

Looking at your pics, I don’t think you are going to get close to 10% at 205. I’ve gone from 240 to 190 and I’m not certain I’m at 10%.

I hope I’m not wrong in repeating, but weight loss usually results in strength gains. I know I personally lost some numbers on the bench big time, and squat secondly, not so much deadlift though. But my numbers are back up and better at 180lbs than they ever were at 225lbs.

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I hope I’m not wrong in repeating, but weight loss usually results in strength gains. I know I personally lost some numbers on the bench big time, and squat secondly, not so much deadlift though. But my numbers are back up and better at 180lbs than they ever were at 225lbs. [/quote]

looking forward to this I expect the same thing to happen once I start reverse dieting and then start eating slightly above maintenance after dieting for over a year straight haha

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I hope I’m not wrong in repeating, but weight loss usually results in strength gains. I know I personally lost some numbers on the bench big time, and squat secondly, not so much deadlift though. But my numbers are back up and better at 180lbs than they ever were at 225lbs. [/quote]

looking forward to this I expect the same thing to happen once I start reverse dieting and then start eating slightly above maintenance after dieting for over a year straight haha[/quote]

I’m sure your numbers will fly up! I had quite a bit of fat to loss though, and I did it with the v-diet and I3G protocol originally, so my time frame was much shorter! I imagine if I did a proper cut like you I wouldn’t gain or maintain strength to well long run, but who knows! Maybe I’ll find out in five years or so if I ever get huge :stuck_out_tongue: