T Nation

Blood Shot Eyes

One day in January I woke up with blood shot eyes and have had them ever since then. The only thing that really changed was I started working in a restaurant. My eyes would get irritated from the kitchen and they would feel like they are on fire occasionally, but only at work. I quit the job in March (not because of the eye problems), but I still have blood shot eyes.

I have tried:

• Several different types of eye drops (The eye doctor told me to buy these drops that are like $15 per tiny bottle…It was a waste of $15.)
  • Putting cold packs on eyes (actually made things worse)
  • Stopped putting any type of wash or moisturizer on my face
  • Changing up my diet
  • Splashing water in my eyes throughout the day.

Answers to things people may ask:

• I do not smoke, nor am I around it at all
  • I am on no medication
  • I get plenty of sleep
  • I do not drink
  • I do live in a dry climate, but I have lived here for years without any problems
  • I have had no vision or pain problems - this is why I have not rushed back to the eye doctor
  • I do wear glasses for astigmatism
  • It is not terrible by any means, but I just want my sclera to be all white.

As I write this post I realize I am probably just going to go to another optometrist, but in the mean time…Anyone have any solutions?

Try megadosing fish oil for a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Assuming it’s nothing serious like a brain clot waiting to happen. Not to alarm you, but my uncle had similar symptoms before he died a couple of months ago. Well, that’ll probably alarm you anyway…but given that your redness correlates with the new environment at your job, it’s very unlikely to be anything serious. How old are you?

I have a simliar problem. I wear contacts, and for about six months my eyes get really red and bloodshot. I have tried all kinds of eye drops and shit, but nothing really gets rid of the redness.

I would be interested in seeing what others think.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I have a simliar problem. I wear contacts, and for about six months my eyes get really red and bloodshot. I have tried all kinds of eye drops and shit, but nothing really gets rid of the redness.

I would be interested in seeing what others think.[/quote]

Get yourself rigid gas-permeable lenses. The first few weeks can be tough, but after that, the comfort is such that you don’t even know if you’re wearing them or not.

I forgot to mention, I do not wear contacts at all. I have not been at my job since early March so I would think my eyes would go back to normal by now. They were worse when I was working in a restaurant though.

Lixy -

• I am 19 years old.
  • I actually have tried upping the fish oil quite a bit, but it did not help at all.