T Nation

Blood Results at 19 Years Old. Serious Advice Needed

Hey homies,
I’m a 19 year old, Division 1 Track and Field athlete. I’ve been lifting for four years on and off, but over the last half-year, I’ve been lifting consistently 6 days/week. I got my blood tested for testosterone before I started lifting seriously ~ 1/2 year ago, I noticed my total testosterone was very low for a 19 year old (312ng/dl). Anyways, I started lifting and taking Creatine and got my blood checked again this past week.
Here are the results:
Cholesterol Total: 228mg/dL (Normal <170 mg/dL)
HDL Cholesterol: 49 mg/dL (Normal >45 mg/dL)
LDL Cholesterol: 160 mg/dL (Normal <110 mg/dL)
Glucose: 109 mg/DL (Normal - 65 to 99 mg/DL)
Red Blood Cell: 4.62 million/uL (Normal - 4.2 to 5.8 million/uL)
White Blood Cell: 4.8 thousand/uL (Normal - 3.8 to 10.8 thousand)
Ferritin: 55 ng/mL (Low<11, High>172 ng/mL)
FSH: 4.3 mIU/mL (Low<1.6, High>8 mIU/mL)
LH: 5.0 mIU/mL (Low<1.5, High>9.3 mIU/mL)
T3 total: 103 ng/dL (Low<86, High>192 ng/dL)
T4 free: 1.2 ng/dL (Low<.8, High>1.4 ng/dL)
T4 (thyroxine) total: 6.7 mcg/dL (Low<4.5, High>12 mcg/dL)
TSH: 1.96 mIU/L (Low<.5, High>4.3 mIU/L)
Estradiol: 30 pg/mL (High>39 pg/mL)
T3 free: 3.8 pg/mL (Low<3, High>4.7 pg/mL)
Vitamin D: 41 ng/mL (Low<30, High>100 ng/mL)
Testosterone Free: 89.8 pg/mL (Low<46, High>224 pg/mL)
Sex hormone binding globulin: 26 nmol/L (Low<10, High>50 nmol/L)
Testosterone Total: 533 ng/dL (Low<250, High>1100 ng/dL)
Testosterone Bioavailable: 176.9 ng/dL (Low<110, High>575 ng/dL)
Albumin: 4.3 g/dL (Low<3.6, High>5.1 g/dL)

Based on what I’ve been reading, even 533 ng/dL is quite low for a 19 year old in their prime. I’ve been having other symptoms related to Low T as well (less horny, harder to get erection, etc.). The doctor said I was fine and did not recommend me to a endocrinologist. I’m wondering what I could do to boost my testosterone.
I want to take matters into my own hands without fucking up my endocrine system - what do you guys think about the blood test results? I want to increase my T, how should I go about doing it the healthiest way? I’m open to a cycle.

You need to include ranges?

Overtraining can hammer testosterone levels especially tryathlon runners as it’s hard on your body and joints. If you’re cutting lots of calories and not eating enough this can also hurt testosterone levels. Thyroid doesn’t look optimal and is starting to look troubling, do you consume iodized salt?

Don’t bother testing T3 or T4, check free hormone fT3, fT4, rT3 and antibodies. When I was 44 I had 600-700 test levels so yeah you’re low for your age.

Age=19
Weight
Height
Waist size
Describe facial and body hair patterns
Did you grow up slow and steady or early and rapid?

Describe your body fat and patterns and how changed with time.

How have energy levels changed with time?

Any injury or blows to the head? Whiplash?

Do you need to get hyper to get lifting done? More of a feeling of adrenalin than natural energy?

Describe stress, how you manage with stress and how this has changed.

Are your outer eyebrows getting sparse?

Please directly edit your post to add lab ranges to lines with lab results.

Seeing: Over training and thyroid/iodine issues.

Please evaluate overall thyroid function via oral body temperatures - see below. Yes this is very important.

Discuss your history of [not] using iodized salt.

Below, read the 2nd sticky. The first sticky explains terms that you will need to understand things.

Doctors are mostly clueless about male hormone health and the lab ranges convince them that you do not need anything -except that antidepressants are often pushed.

Glucose suggests that you were not fasting for these labs.

You might need more iron. Do you have any digestive issues?
Do you eat red meat and green leafy veges?
Eggs?

Describe what oils and fats are in your diet.

Make an effort to address all issues above. It is easy to get on to some and miss the others.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re Thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab numbers and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Your levels are perfectly normal. Not everyone was born with T levels of the gods and it would be irresponsible for anybody to prescribe you test at your age with normal levels. Could they be higher? Sure… but you could retest in a week and get higher results. System Lord also had a very good point that your type of training is known to reduce T levels.

1 Like

Repeat testosterone labs And do in the am after a good night sleep.

• Weight:162 lbs
  • Height: 6’
  • Waist: 31"
  • Head hair - very thick genetically already noticeably greying
  • Facial hair - quite patchy, grows slowly, most hair around chin area.
  • Body hair - hairy legs, hair turned dark just recently (last 2 years) - have long single strands of dark hair in random places, arm hair is light brown - not very hairy other than my legs
  • Muscular Physique
  • Body fat ranges between 6%-7%
  • Been feeling very fatigued over past year or so - running times have been slowly declining
  • Muscle gains have been progressing, but very slowly
  • Other than concussion at age 9 - no head injuries
  • Lift 6 times/week, Run 6-7 days/week, get plenty of sleep
  • Late to the game in terms of puberty - voice isn’t very deep, late to develop armpit hair
  • Eyebrows look fine
  • Have low energy all the time - hard to focus
  • Feel the need to drink coffee or take pre-workout before activities
  • I can lift and run without caffeine, however it feels much harder and less effective without it
  • Never eat iodized salt or use salt in general on my food
  • Last blood test was taken at 9am after a good nights sleep
  • Lots of stress from school work - but don’t feel like its enough to bring down my testosterone levels this low

Lifting 6x a week plus running 6-7 days a week combined with a low body fat percentage 6-7% are all factors driving down T production. Even with all that your levels were pretty normal. You’re over taxing your self man.

Wouldn’t increasing Testosterone help to lower the effects of overtraining? How could I increase my Testosterone?

It’s true overtraining while on TRT won’t see your levels dropping, but if natural you need to take it easy and don’t cut calories or under eat, this will drop testosterone. Some guys are sensitive to overtraining.

Increasing testosterone is a negative feedback loop if overdone, runners have these issues more than anyone. Running is fun, but weight training does far more for your health v.s running.

Well, I can’t stop running anytime soon, nor am I going to stop lifting. What is the best way to up my Testosterone in my scenario?

By all means I’m not saying stop lifting weights and running, just eat health and get plently of rest in between events. How’s your sleep? Sleep is the most important aspect of testosterone production, those who get poor sleep see their testosterone level plummet in a short amount of time.

Basically don’t under eat or under sleep and keep that cell phone light upside down while sleeping, that blue light can affect sleep.

Is there anyway to increase my testosterone by supplemental means?
How would a 6- 8 week test cycle affect my levels after I come off? Could I try SARMS to reboot my system?

It’s all snake oil. Give the T thing a rest. You’re going to screw up your HPTA for no reason.

1 Like