Blood Pressure

Since being on HRT, and gaining about 20 + pounds, I have noticed my BP has gone up, and for the last month is stays around 145/80. Anyone else having this problem. I will be 46 this year.

[quote]uwacop wrote:
Since being on HRT, and gaining about 20 + pounds, I have noticed my BP has gone up, and for the last month is stays around 145/80. Anyone else having this problem. I will be 46 this year.[/quote]

It’s pretty common knowledge that the in many people weight gain, be it muscle or fat, results in higher blood pressure. Everything recommended on this, and other training sites, does not necessarily lead to better health. At the age of 46 I suggest that you cut some weight and add some aerobics to your regime.

Unless of course you value your new found muscle more than your health.

My BP elevated slightly. I incorporated cardio 3 X per week and it brought it back in line.

What did your twenty pound increase consist of? HRT can often add muscle and help you to lose fat. You need to evaluate your diet and get it in line with the goals you want to hit.

[quote]uwacop wrote:
Since being on HRT, and gaining about 20 + pounds, I have noticed my BP has gone up, and for the last month is stays around 145/80. Anyone else having this problem. I will be 46 this year.[/quote]

A few will have elevated red blood cell production. As a ratio of the blood it is referred to as hematocrit. Get tested for that with next blood work. When high, it raises BP and also creates its own risks.

Otherwise, T tends to lower BP and cholesterol.

I thought that the weight was it. I hired a trainer, and he up my cals alot. when I was at 150lbs my BP was great.

I don’t think salt comes into play, because I do not put salt on anything, and I do not eat any can foods. all I eat is chicken, eggwhites, chicken, cream of wheat, chicken, oatmeal, chicken, tuna,green beans and chicken. can you tell I eat lots of grilled chicken? I hit one in the road the other day. I just glad I diden’t have to eat the damn thing, hehehehe.

I went from 150lbs to 215lbs. I noticed a significant increase in BP roughly 113/85 to 140/92. Both my family doc and cardiologist arent as concerned as I am. They both agree that since I weight train, and do various forms of cardio, it seems to be a balance for my body. Moreover, evertime I step into a Docs office, my anxiety level goes thru the roof,; so does my BP. There can be many factors involved. However, I must say that thru experimentation, 3x plus cardio a week maintains my bp at a level lower than 140/92. 3.5 miles an hour for 30 minutes on a treadmill, hour long walks at various speeds and terrain, punching bag, heavybag, sprints, basketball, etc. Experiment a little. You can buy a quality cuff and machine for under a $100 bucks if you want to monitor it. This also helps you and your doc see what may cause changes in increase, ddecrease, and BP stability.

If your upper arm is 15.5" to 16" make sure they use the larger BP cuff. Also I have found that the automated BP machines used in a lot of doctor’s offices, blood donation centers, etc, always read 10-20 points high on the upper number.

If they have the larger cuff, ask them to check using both cuffs and write down both readings so you can keep track of any changes over time.

Fred

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:
If your upper arm is 15.5" to 16" make sure they use the larger BP cuff. Also I have found that the automated BP machines used in a lot of doctor’s offices, blood donation centers, etc, always read 10-20 points high on the upper number.

If they have the larger cuff, ask them to check using both cuffs and write down both readings so you can keep track of any changes over time.

Fred [/quote]

I can confirm the cuff problems. I’m close to 300 pounds (no, its not fat, I’m very tall) and my arm is way above the norm.

seems that since I started back taking my 9 fish cap’s a day, it been in the 140/63-72 range. with a lil olive oil

Docs say that normal is 120/80 and hypertension is 140/90.

Mine was around 145/70 so i got worried (i’m 29). My doc/naturapath said it used to be normal to be around 150/90 but to reduce the amount of heart attatck with normal pressure they had to reduce the ‘normal’. This improved the stats by about 2% I’m told, so does it really matter if its 145/80?

It could be stress or poor diet habits, but I wouldnt think that muscle would increase blood pressure to dangerous levels…unless you believe it would.