Blood Glucose Observation

So I was wondering if I should up my post workout carbs and maybe push in a few more meals, because my training seems to really make me lethargic and tired by the end of the day. Very cloudy headed.

I got a glucose meeter and began tracking blood sugar levels.

Normal morning - around 75.

Preworkout meal, peri-workout shake, and post workout shake (500 calories all told) and I am at 105 right after the last shake. One hour later I am at 80, then 1 hour later I am at 65.

I think I need more carbs right around there - or more to the point I need to eat balanced carbs and protein at 2 hour intervals.

On days I dont train - I float around 80 to 90 without issue.

Anyone else observe their blood sugar levels and see what their workouts do to them ?

P.S. If I just do some cardio - it does not drop the sugar levels nearly as much.

My training is strength based reps and some Tabatta sessions.

im no expert but i would think after your workout your blood glucose levels would naturally drop. i would think as long as it returns its not a problem.

im curious to see what someone who actually knows their shit has to say though.

[quote]Deorum wrote:
im no expert but i would think after your workout your blood glucose levels would naturally drop. i would think as long as it returns its not a problem.

im curious to see what someone who actually knows their shit has to say though.[/quote]

Likewise - I am sure KSMAN and others are around and may see this.

let the learning begin!

how’d you get the glucose meter, and which one? Just wondering, since I’ve considered doing that.

[quote]mcl wrote:
how’d you get the glucose meter, and which one? Just wondering, since I’ve considered doing that.[/quote]

any online drugstore will see them and strips.

www.drugstore.com is where I got mine - one touch ultra.

Fortunately - I do not have diabetes. But there was no check to see if I needed an rx

Everything you have described sounds normal, exceedingly healthy in fact. Your pancreas is taking care of business and you aren’t insulin resistant.

If you are asking if a blood glucose of 65 will cause symptoms, the answer is almost certainly not. I qualified that statement because some savvy diabetics are very attentive to subtle clues and they can get pretty good at predicting their glucose levels. You probably can’t do that.

If you eat more later in the day after a big work-out do you feel better? If so, there is your answer.

Are you even diabetic?

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Are you even diabetic?[/quote]

No - luckily I am not. I do have a few friends who I train with who are. Thus the idea to test myself.

Thanks

Since you are not diabetic your blood sugar levels are doing exactly what they should with amazing normalicy…

As long as you do not feel weak and shaky from glucose levels that go to low. If that was happening and you have some stress reaction problems, one would consider adrenals.

You are a lucky young man. I’m a 66 yr olde type II, and would really like to have your blood sugar levels. I struggle to be under 130, and I do mean struggle.

[quote]philipj wrote:
You are a lucky young man. I’m a 66 yr olde type II, and would really like to have your blood sugar levels. I struggle to be under 130, and I do mean struggle.[/quote]

Wow - good perspective for me to keep. Im actually 45, so, I guess even luckier so.

Ive learned a bit here, thanks