Blood Glucose Levels

I just had a physical and blood tests. My fasting blood glucose went up 5 points from last year–100 to 105.

What are good ways to control or reduce your FBG levels? I don’t eat much sweets.

I want to make sure this doesn’t turn into diabetes someday.

Thanks in advance.

Uggh. There could be one of 10 bajillion reasons why it was 5 points higher. The first, and most important, is that it’s not the exact same every single day.

It all depends on what you ate the night before, the rate of digestion, etc. You could go back next year and it could be 95. That doesn’t mean anything. They have a normal “range” for a reason. As long as your number is in that range, and it is, you should be fine. If it gets progressively worse, or is ever outside of that range- then worry.

It does lead to my actual question- what lifestyle choices are you currently making that would lead you to think you’re on your way to being diabetic? Basically what are you doing that would give you concern over a measly 5 “points”?

Lots Of whole food fruit veggies Fiber etc get your EFA’s and just a general good diet

Phill

FBG of 105 is normal there is no reason for concern. As far as the change from last year your blood sugar changes all day long do to food intake. It can even be affected buy things like not enough sleep, infections, colds, activity level etc.

The APRN who read me my test results made it seem like it was a big deal that it went up 5 points from last year. She said if it keeps going up then I might have diabetes. That’s why I am asking.

I haven’t been in this good shape for years so I was like “what the fuck?” But I did just get over a bad case of bronchitis a few days before my blood test.

Thanks for the advice…/

It’s big enough of an issue deal that you should feel the need to do something about it, but it’s not worth freaking out about. It seems like your already at the right place, mentally.

ALA, quality fish oil, training, low carb diets are all a good place to start. Vegetables are like a drug.

There about a million things that will help, but getting the diet dialed in and training more should be the priorities. (I need to write another book)

Best of luck!

Let me reiterate. The fact that ones blood glucose is five points higher at any given time than at any other time indicates NOTHING. It is most likely due to your recent illness. Not only is your blood sugar in the normal range, it’s dead center. Not even on the high side.

Your fasting level would have to surpass 140 on two consecutive tests to be considered diabetic. The normal range is 75-125.
And lower is not necessarily better. Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody. I value the opinions here at T-Nation.

(Write that book, Dave!)

[quote]nvrsatysfyd wrote:
Your fasting level would have to surpass 140 on two consecutive tests to be considered diabetic. The normal range is 75-125.
And lower is not necessarily better. Hope this helps.[/quote]

I believe the new normal range is 70-110 and the FBS would have to be 126 or greater on two separate visits.

[quote]duece wrote:
nvrsatysfyd wrote:
And lower is not necessarily better. Hope this helps.

I believe the new normal range is 70-110 and the FBS would have to be 126 or greater on two separate visits. [/quote]

I don’t think that’s been officially changed yet, nor should it. It’s going to put a lot of people in a high risk category that don’t need to be.

They really should just standardize on the A1C and leave it at that. FBS tests are riddled with inaccuracies and variables outside of the physicians control.