T Nation

Block Periodization

the link to the thinkers response sums it up pretty well. One thing to remember is that the intensities and such do not really link up with the weight being lifted. It is the intensity of effort and the training means become more specific. So the realization block for a sprinter will not necessarily have them squatting near 100% weight, but their sprint times will be in the 90-100% range So the intensity is applied to SPP type exercises. Traditional lifting is more GPP.

hope that made sense

Oh and the efforts are concentrated. So the SPP phase will involve more sport specific work (ie practices, agility drills, sprints, etc) in an effort to overload the specific motor patterns in the sport.

The accumulation phase will have more volume, like intervals, tempo runs, etc… to overload the energy systems in a non specific way

I started my fifth week of block periodization this week. I have a unequipped powerlifting meet on October 17 and I will get to see just how well it works. Landon Evans wrote my program, actually more correctly he is writing as I go to get the most out of the program.

The cool thing is he teaches you how to use block periodization and doesn’t just create a program. Landon taught Jeremy Frey block periodization and Frey put 316lbs on his total in 11 months.

Landon’s prices are very reasonable. Getting a program plus learning block makes this an even better deal. Anyone interested can contact him at the following email address;
landonevans @ gmail . com

[quote]Phillip Wylie wrote:
I started my fifth week of block periodization this week. I have a unequipped powerlifting meet on October 17 and I will get to see just how well it works. Landon Evans wrote my program, actually more correctly he is writing as I go to get the most out of the program.

The cool thing is he teaches you how to use block periodization and doesn’t just create a program. Landon taught Jeremy Frey block periodization and Frey put 316lbs on his total in 11 months.

Landon’s prices are very reasonable. Getting a program plus learning block makes this an even better deal. Anyone interested can contact him at the following email address;
landonevans @ gmail . com[/quote]

Im looking forward to seeing your results at the meet phil, good luck.

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:
Phillip Wylie wrote:

landonevans @ gmail . com

Im looking forward to seeing your results at the meet phil, good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks, Mike!

Brendan Gonring wrote an article about block periodization for EliteFTS last week - it gives a pretty good overview of the principles of the method, without going into a huge amount of detail about specific variables.

www.elitefts.com/documents/block_periodization.htm