T Nation

Bloating After Morning Workouts

I dont know what I’m doing wrong but the last three times I worked out in the morning, I’ve extremely bad gas and bloating come lunch time. could this be a sign that I should take some hcl, or is it because of something i ate?

I normally dont feel bloated after I take my post-w shake, but it seems like this gas issue is a major problem that needs to be solved because Im just absolutely sick of silently letting my farts out and for the times I dont, my stomach swells and I feel nothing but embarassment.

what are you eating anything different??

well i today, i ate a banana and a pb and j sandwhich (not eating clean at all) about an hour after i had my post-w shake and another banana 45 min. after that. whereas before i use to eat that same meal but three hours later.

again, the gas wasn’t as harsh as before probably due to the amount of food I was eating after the post-w shake

What’s in your post-wo shake?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
What’s in your post-wo shake?[/quote]

2 cups raw oats 2 scoops protein powder

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

2 cups raw oats 2 scoops protein powder[/quote]

BINGO!!!

If the raw oats is a new addition then id say thats the culprit. Thats 600 calories of dense starchy carbs with a nice whack of fiber. Many ppl when just starting this have probs from them.

Again if there new give it time your body will likely adjust. Or cook the darn things making them easier to digest. or use something different.

Also if new it may be a slight food allergy.

eengrms76 wrote:

2 cups raw oats 2 scoops protein powder[/quote]

2 cups??? Holy christ that’s a lot of oats. That’s like 4 servings! Why so much?

re why i take so much oats:

pre-w nutrition:
solid meal 60-90 min. before workout:
0.2-0.25g/lb target BW- protein
0.33g/lb target BW- carbs

liquid meal 15-30 min. before:
0.15-0.2g/lb target BW- protein
0.33g/lb target BW- carbs

post-w nutrition:
liquid meal directly after:
0.25g/lb target BW- protein
0.5g/lb target BW- carbs

how would explain the fact that the food I eat after the post-w shake (post post-w meal) helps reduce the gas? the only reason y i remember bloating around lunch time is because I ate all of my food for lunch during the post post-w meal period.

oh and let me add that Ive been taking large amounts of oats for quite awhile now. so i dont think my body is being introduced to something new

The guy in that thread is a tool. He gives suggestions, then immediately tells you why they are not always true.

It seems to me you are following his advice to the letter, but yet you are having problems. You might want to consider that nutrition advice is not cookie cutter and you need to experiment.

Also- on a side note- is there anything else you are consuming in the morning? Diet pop? Tea? anything besides water? It could also be that with all of the carbs you are ingesting you are becoming less tolerant of them. It can happen.

maybe either lessen the oats or ingest quick oats instead? quick oats r easier to digest and never remember getting any stomach problems from that

maybe either lessen the oats or ingest quick oats instead? quick oats r easier to digest and never remember getting any stomach problems from that[/quote]

but if going for quick oats hell just use malto. Much of the benefit of the oats the micro nutrients etc have been stripped or ruined in the processing. Making the quickly digested and less nutrient dense.

[quote]Phill wrote:
but if going for quick oats hell just use malto. Much of the benefit of the oats the micro nutrients etc have been stripped or ruined in the processing. Making the quickly digested and less nutrient dense.
[/quote]

ya that makes a lot of sense. i use to do that but i switched to oats because the people at bbing convinced me that ingesting oats was much more better for the better opposed to a post-w shake with 50% dextrose and 50% malto.