T Nation

Blind Teen Sees With His Ears

I just thought this was a pretty incredible story about the scope of human accomplishment in the face of adversity.

I saw this on TV a few weeks ago. It is an inpiring story. I am rather skeptical, however, over claims of his radar-like ability. I’m sure that simple familiarity with his enviroment account for most of his ‘ablility.’ The rest is probably just wishful thinking from his loved ones.

A few very simple tests could easily determine the legitimacy of this extraordinary claim. Sorry to be a naysayer.

Yes, but has he ever swung across Fifth Avenue by means of a billy club?

Is he a high-powered attorney?

Has he tagged every piece of shmegege in the Marvel universe?

If not, then color me unimpressed.

(I really need a girlfriend.)

Everyone knows that if you lose one sense the rest become superhuman. Helen Keller could taste her surroundings, like a snake. She could also unhinge her jaw and swallow a pig whole, but that’s another story.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
(I really need a girlfriend.) [/quote]

Stop having your cousin Smacky read illegal Transformer scripts and giving you his review then maybe you’ll get one!

[quote]DemiAjax wrote:
I just thought this was a pretty incredible story about the scope of human accomplishment in the face of adversity.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/19/earlyshow/main1817689.shtml[/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out. This is one of the most inspirational stories that I have read in a long time. The next time one of my kids is complaining about something relatively unimportant I am going to have them read this.

[quote]veruvius wrote:
She could also unhinge her jaw and swallow a pig whole, but that’s another story.[/quote]

Oh, the possibilities…

[quote]veruvius wrote:
Everyone knows that if you lose one sense the rest become superhuman. Helen Keller could taste her surroundings, like a snake. She could also unhinge her jaw and swallow a pig whole, but that’s another story.[/quote]

Oh, hell! That’s freakin’ funny.

"Ben was just 2 years old when cancer claimed his eyes. Both were surgically removed. It was a day of heartbreak for his mother, Aquanetta Gordon.

“And he woke up from that surgery and Ben said, ‘Mom, I can’t see any more, I can’t see any more,’” she recalls."

That just made me go cold. As a parent I can’t imagine how hard it was on his Mom. Amazing kid.

Thats the most incredible thing I’ve ever heard.

The world would probably be a better place if people read stuff like this on a daily basis.

I like how the article says that he sees with his “ears.” (quotes around ears).

As far as I can tell, they’re real, genuine ears.

The seeing part, however, is suspect.