Blasting Lordosis and Tilt

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
Thank you very much. This has not been a winning battle for me but now the potential seems clearly there.

I remember that we discussed some ideas via PM and you said that there was a ‘line of drive’ issue, when it came to shoulder work. Is that still the case or are you satisfied that you have fixed the thoracic kyphosis?

I also remember that you said one shoulder had more problems with adhesions and trigger points, etc than the other, and that computer time might be a major contributing factor. Is this still relevant to you?

BBB[/quote]

The shoulder is still problematic. I don’t believe “line of drive” had anything to do with kyphosis as that was fixed by then, but rather a lot of tightness including towards external rotation and getting the arm back into, for example, a double biceps pose position. The left just doesn’t want to go there.

My then-massage-therapist (deep tissue massage) confirmed that you were right about the subscapularis being inflamed, tight, and a trouble area, and I did go considerable stretching and it helped some. But actually about EVERYTHING is tight connecting to the shoulder or left scapula.

Lately I really increased stretching to spending about a half hour most days of the week at it, about half that time actually stretching and the other half being inbetween stretches. Last week I actually knocked that up to about an hour total, as I worked it inbetween 15 minute aerobics crap, as I hate aerobics. That may have exhausted my nervous system; I was feeling pretty shot and am now taking a bit of a break and will go back to the easier but still pretty heavy schedule.

The stretching helps very temporarily.

I get ART every 2 weeks, almost all the time being spent on the left shoulder and scapular/serratus area (they are tight too.)

I’ve limited shoulder work to the moderately-reclining-back Smith overhead press, not dropping the bar below the chin; same but free weight in the rack; incline DB lateral raises, plate raises, and lying rear delt flyes. The exercise limitation helps.

Oh, and on the previous bad practice of often having a shoulder cocked forward while using the computer: no doubt it was a bad practice, but ending it unfortunately accomplished nothing noticeable.

That would be great! :slight_smile:

I will ask my ART therapist about that.

BBB

Thanks for sharing all of this information, I’m learning alot!

I have a question for you regarding my own situation. During any bilateral squatting when i go very low (thighs below parallel) I get pain in my right hip that has been bothering me for quite awhile. I can do 1/4 squats without a problem but as soon as i go low the pain presents itself. The pain feels like a “pinching” very high and deep inside my hip and i don’t really know what is causing it. I have a pretty wide powerlifting style squat and have been doing that for over a year. I feel like this somehow is related to the pain but not sure. Any idea as to what is going on?

BBB, I did today what you suggest in your long post (under # 2) and WOW, my psoas it’s feel like it’s gonna snap. So tight and painful.

BBB

Thanks very much for your response. Do you know of anyone in the NYC area by any chance that you could recommend that I can see to have myself evaluated?

-Thanks again,
Darian

BBB, really great information you have been giving here!

How can you tell whether or not it’s good to heat the muscle prior to working it? My mom has an arthritic knee and she’s been wanting to go walking. Do you think she should heat up her muscles around the knee before going walking, and then ice it after she gets home?

If so, do you have any suggestion for heating it up?

And I’m not sure if this has any relevance, but she’s quite overweight.

Eric is in MA, I think about an hour or so west of Boston.

BBB

I have been trying to correct ATP for a long time and nothing has worked. This is the best explanation of how to stretch the psoas on the forums that I have been able to find and is worth a try. Thanks.

I don’t understand how to the last stretch lying on the bed. When I do it I don’t feel anything in the psoas. I am lying on my stomach proped up on my elbows driving one leg into the mattress and leaning away from the leg I am driving into the mattress.

Thanks for your help,

Bulk

i love u BBB <3

BBB

Just found this tread and wanted to say thanks for the excellent information which I’m going to re-read and implement when I get home tonight. This might be a daft question, but I see you wrote it 18 months ago, is this still your preferred method of treating ATP?

I see it focuses on activating/strengthening the quads and stretching the psoas, do you feel this is all thats necessary in typical cases or would you also incorporate some lower back stretching and ab strengthening. It is my understand that tight spinal erectors and weak abs also contribute to ATP. I ask because I want put together a bunch of stretches/exercises that I can do daily to combat my lordosis/tilt.

Also regarding thoracic kyphosis, I’m going to try that gaffer tape thing at the weekend, do you have to be accurate with the size/positioning of the x? I’m guessing just a big x starting on rear delts and ending near the lat insertions. On a side note, what do you thing of those posture tops, do they help or do they make things worse because they’re doing the work for you rather than you teaching yourself better posture?

Thanks

wow. thank you. that sounds like just what my hip flexors need. i’ve been stretching them but aggravating them more than getting them to relax, I think.

Excellent, thanks a lot. I’ve been doing some of that already so I’ll add in some more and make sure I cover everything you’ve listed.