Blasting and Cruising at 48 on HRT - Beginner's Cycle Log

[quote]threepercenter wrote:
If I was at those numbers yes 15-20% would be along those lines.[/quote]

Ok, just checking. Since we are about the same age and I’m sure your not new to the gym, I am wondering why I am not seeing those gains. What time frame are we speaking about?

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

If I was at those numbers yes 15-20% would be along those lines.[/quote]

Ok, just checking. Since we are about the same age and I’m sure your not new to the gym, I am wondering why I am not seeing those gains. What time frame are we speaking about?
[/quote]

About two weeks now. Mind you this is my first cycle ever and my normal TRT dose is 200mg/week t-cyp. I’m on triple that for my first ever blast.

e.g. I can now do 8x8 squats at 85% of PR (235) - 195 - which is 20lbs heavier than the 175lbs I was doing before. That’s significant in my book.

[quote]

About two weeks now. Mind you this is my first cycle ever and my normal TRT dose is 200mg/week t-cyp. I’m on triple that for my first ever blast.

e.g. I can now do 8x8 squats at 85% of PR (235) - 195 - which is 20lbs heavier than the 175lbs I was doing before. That’s significant in my book.[/quote]

Those are good gains! I am unfortunately at the point of diminishing returns. :frowning: I would say my best lifts came when I was 35 y.o. and not on TRT. Truthfully, I didn’t get back there even after 200 mg/wk. Now after 8+ weeks of upping my dose to 200 mg 2x/wk I am close on my bench but after a groin issue 4 weeks ago and at 47 y.o. I doubt those weights are ever going to be reached again in the squat. I’m trying to come to terms with not squatting heavy. I have kept my b.w. the same but see and feel tighter.

What AI are you using? Anything to keep your prolactin in check or not an issue for you?

After this morning’s workout I’m wrecked.

Probably just a lack of sleep - only got about 7 hours. I’m using .5 mg Adex eod, my normal TRT does is .25 eod.

From what I read (please correct me if I missed something) you were/are working with a Doc who brought your T up over 1200, yet you weren’t pleased with your gains.

However, when you mentioned your training, it sounded decidedly poor.

My point is wIth that 1200+ T level, unless you’re really challenged genetically – or up near your genetic limit – you should make very good gains, provided you’re eating well and training intelligently.

So post your training. I’ll bet there’s much improvement that can be made there.

You likely aren’t using enough volume, and it sounds like you have really poor work capacity – both of which we can help you fix.

For those interested, here is my thread on my exercise regimen and experience:

My current regimen:

FREE WEIGHTS ONLY BODYBUILDING SHOULDERS/ARMS WORKOUT DAY 1
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Dumbbell Upright Rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Side Laterals (Rest: 60 seconds) 3 sets of 10-12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Bent Over Lateral Raises 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Incline Curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Concentration Curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Hammer Curls 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions 3 sets of 10-12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Triceps Dips (on parallel bars) 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Sprints

Rest Day 2

FREE WEIGHTS ONLY BODYBUILDING LEG WORKOUT DAY 3
Wide Stance Squats 4 sets of 8 reps (90 sec rest)
Medium Stance Squats 4 sets of 8 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Lunges 3 sets of 12 reps (Rest: 90 seconds)
Dumbbell Stiff Legged Dead-lifts 4 sets of 12 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Hanging Dumbbell Leg Curls 4 sets of 8-10 reps (60 sec rest) Note: I performed this exercise with a dumbbell in between my ankles and hanging from the pull-up bar. (Rest: 60 seconds)
Walking Lunges (pressing with the heels in order to emphasize the glutes and the hams) 3 sets of 13-15 repetitions. (Rest: 90 seconds)
One Legged Dumbbell Calf Raises (using the doorstep to inside the house as my platform) 6 sets of 15-25 reps (Rest: alternate back and forth without resting)
Sprints

Rest Day 4

FREE WEIGHTS ONLY BODYBUILDING CHEST/BACK/ABS WORKOUT DAY 5
Incline Bench Press 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Chest Dips 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Incline Flyes 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Deadlifts 4x8 (alternate with either close grip or widegraip pull-ups)
-Close Grip Chins (Reverse Grip) 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
-Wide Grip Pull-ups to Front 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Hanging Leg Raises 3 sets of 15-20 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Bicycle Crunches 3 sets of 20-25 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Weighted Crunches 3 sets of 12-15 reps (Rest: 60 seconds)
Sprints

Rest Day 5

Day 6 - start again

I had been doing this 3 on 1 off. Recently switched to 1 on 1 off.

You mention that my splits are “decidedly poor” pray tell, whats wrong with them?

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:
From what I read (please correct me if I missed something) you were/are working with a Doc who brought your T up over 1200, yet you weren’t pleased with your gains.

However, when you mentioned your training, it sounded decidedly poor.

Mt point is wIth that 1200+ T level, unless you are really challenged genetically – or up near your genetic limit – you should make very good gains, provided you’re eating well and training intelligently.

So post your training. I’ll bet you there’s much improvement that can be made there.

You likely aren’t using enough volume, and you likely have really poor work capacity – both of which we can help you fix.

[/quote]

Well, the volume seems to be there.

With the absence of lower rep-ranges in your training you could probably push the frequency somewhat. I’d like to see 2 on 1 off.

Also, I wouldn’t do the sprints after those workouts – unless it was 4-6 hours later – and I wouldn’t do the sprints more than twice a week (unless fat loss is the primary goal).

However, you could push a Prowler immediately after those workouts. Its easy to recover from and will build your work capacity.

Another alternative is to include 1 day a week of Strongman training. That will also improve your work capacity while getting you stronger.

Thank you for your perspective Bryan. May I ask how old you are?

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:
Well, the volume seems to be there.

With the absence of lower rep-ranges in your training you could probably push the frequency somewhat. I’d like to see 2 on 1 off.

Also, I wouldn’t do the sprints after those workouts – unless it was 4-6 hours later – and I wouldn’t do the sprints more than twice a week (unless fat loss is the primary goal).

However, you could push a Prowler immediately after those workouts. Its easy to recover from and will build your work capacity.

Another alternative is to include 1 day a week of Strongman training. That will also improve your work capacity while getting you stronger.
[/quote]

Thank you for your perspective Bryan. May I ask how old you are?

[quote]

The big 4-0.

Checking in. Today is my 15th day on 600mg/week of t-cyp (3x my “normal” trt dose). I feel pretty good, not much trouble with anything. Gym gains are steady, not massive. Adding 5lbs here and there on dumbbells, squat up another 5lbs. I pretty much lift at my limit for rep range and go to failure, which is typically pretty close to the set since I have increased the set weight as I felt stronger. I get 8-10 hours of sleep and I sleep well. Seriously considering dropping the sprinting.

I’m eating very cleanly as I have for a few years. meat, veggies, high quality carbs in the form of sweet potatoes etc. Pre/Post workout egg protein shakes. I’m sitting here stuffing my face with sweet potatoes - ugh. Just had 3/4lbs of ground beef on top of a huge salad for lunch, also a can of tuna. Dairy makes me puffy so I try to avoid it, and I’m vaguely wheat intolerant, so I avoid it as well.

So here’s the frustrating part: I just weighed myself expecting to have gained 3-5 lbs. I’ve lost 1lb. This is not the scale I normally use, but I have no reason to think it isn’t accurate. T-shirts feel tighter through the chest and biceps, I’m more aware of my physique, etc.

I’m just wondering how the frak I’m going to get more calories into myself without tossing. Per the caliper for my age range 46-50 I’m at ~11% bf. I’m just wondering if my “fighting weight” is more like 175lbs and my body is going to go down to this, before going back up. I’m 5’9" with about 30 months of relatively serious weight training behind me.

Thoughts? Anyone?

[quote]threepercenter wrote

Thoughts? Anyone?[/quote]

Ya, I’ll jump in. You got to use the same scale at the same time in the day, best in the morning. I don’t know if you measure yourself but that’s 1 of the best indications. Your weights are climbing and you feel tighter. There’s a good chance you’ve lost some fat, you will be just fine.

I’m eating very cleanly as I have for a few years. meat, veggies, high quality carbs in the form of sweet potatoes etc. Pre/Post workout egg protein shakes. I’m sitting here stuffing my face with sweet potatoes - ugh.
[/quote]

Put cinnamon and protein powder in those sweet potatoes to liven them up.

Do you drink enough water?

You’re only in about 2.5 weeks don’t worry with the scale. You should see bigger results by week five and six. Hang in there, you’re doin good.

Protien shakes with a spoonfull of ovlive or coconut oil is a great way to bump cals up

Got back to my regular scale. Not putting on weight, fat dropped .2%, calipers say I’m closer to 10%, and these Aria scales are known not to do too great a job at bf%. The key takeaway is that bf% is dropping, not so much the number itself as it seems inaccurate.

Tuesday, July 9 at 6:31AM
179.6 lbs 13.9% fat
Sunday, Jun 30 at 6:51AM
181.5 lbs 14.1% fat

Hrm. Two and a half weeks in, should I not have put on even a lb or two? Based on my reading I guess I may be on the threshold right now - meaning the increased t-cyp is just about to kick in at this point. Just logging everything here for the next old fart to come along to try this.

Gym today - added weight to squats and leg assists. So stronger. Hoping/wanting even more.

Got back to my regular scale. Not putting on weight, fat dropped .2%, calipers say I’m closer to 10%, and these Aria scales are known not to do too great a job at bf%. The key takeaway is that bf% is dropping, not so much the number itself as it seem inaccurate.

Tuesday, July 9 at 6:31AM
179.6 lbs 13.9% fat
Sunday, Jun 30 at 6:51AM
181.5 lbs 14.1% fat

Hrm. Two and a half weeks in, should I not have put on even a lb or two? Based on my reading I guess I may be on the threshold right now - meaning the increased t-cyp is just about to kick in at this point. Just logging everything here for the next old fart to come along to try this.

Gym today - added weight to squats and leg assists. So stronger. Hoping/wanting even more.[/quote]

It’s still early. Don’t worry. At your dose you WILL see results. The fact that you are adding weight is a good sign and there is more to come.

As far as your scale goes. Don’t put much faith in the body fat readings. They use Bioelectrical impedance which is not really accurate. Consumer Reports tested body fat scales and found them all to be inaccurate. Factors such as body type, body temperature, hydration, and recent exercise can have a noteworthy impact on the number you see on the scale. Even wet or sweaty feet can skew the results. If you are checking at the same time of day and trying to insure the same level of hydration they can be used as tool for gauging fat gain or loss but still an inaccurate number to say the least.

So this morning I during my workout - still adding weight btw - I felt like I was going to cry. Mind you I’m not normally someone who gets upset about shit. I have no history of panic attacks, depression or any of that mental mumbo jumbo. I think my e2 is spiking. Only real explanation for this. I’m considering upping my anastrazole dosage - I still have 3.5 weeks before my planned blood draw.

I figure I can gauge my e2 by mood, wood, and popping joints until then.

Folks input on this would be appreciated.

That is generally how you gauge it. If you are feeling like a woman. Irrational, unreasonable, wanting to cry for no reason (or because the cashier at the supermarket didn’t say hello politely enough) that sounds like high e2. If your levels go too low you will feel the lack of estrogen in your joints. Adjust your dose as necessary

I’ve been on .5mg e2d (normally .25mg e2d for TRT)

One testosterone only beginner’s cycle protocol I researched suggested .5mg every day on 600mg of testosterone cypionate. I think I may be a candidate for this. 3 weeks is just about time for the increased dose to start kicking in.

Every person responds to test and the AI differently. You may need more or less. I need 1mg EOD. You should adjust as your body tells you to.

Switching to .85mg e2d anastrazole, seeing how that goes…