T Nation

Blaha Linear Hypertrophy Program vs ICF 5x5

Hi, in a somewhat recent Q&A Jason said the following:

Why wouldnt it make a difference in strength or size? It is hard to imagine that a 2 hour workout doesnt give one more gains than a 1 hour one. He also talked about speed strength/power. The 5x5 would make you a little more explosive than the Linear Hypertrophy Program. So, in your opinion, would size, strength and speed strength (or rate of force developement) be fewer when doing the linear hypertrophy program than running the ICF 5x5?

The difference is going to be incredibly minimal at best.

Programs aren’t alchemy. It’s not that a certain mathematical formula of reps, sets, movements, rest times, etc results in a specific and unique outcome, but more the act of consistently applying a high degree of intensity of effort over a long period of time garners results.

Yes, doing certain things will have different results than others. If you want to be a strongman, you NEED to do some sort of loaded carries in your training, or else you’ll suck. If you want to be a bodybuilder, you need some isolation work to bring up weak points. But when you’re just talking beginner programs especially, it’s just so inconsequential.

[quote]Boandlkramer wrote:
Why wouldnt it make a difference in strength or size? It is hard to imagine that a 2 hour workout doesnt give one more gains than a 1 hour one. [/quote]

The more volume you can perform effectively while being able to properly recover, the more you will gain. This is true for most people. It is not something bodybuilders pulled out of their asses after decades of trial and error.

The problem is, being a beginner without someone experienced to guide you in real life during the execution of exercises, you will end up doing lots of junk volume if all your knowledge comes from the internet.

My advice would be to stop reading and listening to all this shit and go to the gym and train with the big guys.

Nutrition and recovery are going to affect how much you benefit from a workout substantially more than how long you spend in the gym each session. Maybe it’d be best not to listen to a guy who looks like garbage and calls himself Ice Cream Fitness. Just a thought. I know Mr. Cream comes across as an intelligent guy, and people seem to like his youtube channel for some reason, but there’s zero chance I would go to him for advice on… anything. He’s kinda funny tho.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Nutrition and recovery are going to affect how much you benefit from a workout substantially more than how long you spend in the gym each session. Maybe it’d be best not to listen to a guy who looks like garbage and calls himself Ice Cream Fitness. Just a thought. I know Mr. Cream comes across as an intelligent guy, and people seem to like his youtube channel for some reason, but there’s zero chance I would go to him for advice on… anything. He’s kinda funny tho.[/quote]

I too will never understand the following this guy has. I’ve come to the conclusion that, if someone is popular with beginner trainees, they most likely shouldn’t be listened to, as beginners don’t know what is good and what isn’t.