Blacks Only Public School (Toronto)

Anyone see the big discussions in Toronto surrounding the decision by Toronto trustees to approve the first “afrocentric” PUBLIC school? I think it is rediculous and a waste of tax payers money. It was pathetic listening to some of the supporters talk, saying the black kids were oppressed in our traditional “totalitarian run schools,” that they could not succeed and that it was the fault of the schools because their kids were shooting each other, dropping out, and having teenage babies.

If you can’t integrate, segragate!.. So much for a “progressive” society. Go forward, by going backwards.

This is absolute bullshit. Black kids have just as much right as white kids to a substandard public school education.

Is it legally black-only? Or does it just happen to be in a predominantly black area, and they’re jumping through hoops to make it all black?

Just interested.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Is it legally black-only? Or does it just happen to be in a predominantly black area, and they’re jumping through hoops to make it all black?

Just interested.[/quote]

I don’t know if it is legally black only or not but the school is in response to the the poor performance and appaling dropout rate of blacks in Toronto, as high as 40%…and it will black focused;

“The proposed school will teach the basic Ontario curriculum along with some black history that is not taught in mainstream schools, Miss Wilson said. It also will provide a culturally sensitive environment where teachers don’t react with hostility to black students who use slang or wear dreadlocks.”

So who else would attend anyway? There will also be a limited number of spots.

As far as demographics go I don’t believe there has been a site selected yet, so I don’t know what part of the city it will be in but Toronto has more than twice the amount of chinese and south asian people then blacks and half of toronto are immigrants so this idea of a special publicly funded school for blacks is rediculous, considering they make up 8% or less of the population.

I watched some supporters on tv voicing their opinions last night and I found it disgusting, many of them were blaming the schools for their piss poor parenting skills, ctv had one retard in their newsroom who said the current schools enslaved and oppressed the black kids, and that no other kids have had to endure the hardships that these kids endure… righttttttttt…there was another immigrant, (non-black) that pointed out that many other immigrant kids come from war torn countries, and have endured at least as much as the blacks, (who haven’t been enslaved in how many years?), and he jumped down her throat sayiing that was not possible…

This school is just going to create segregation and promote racism and I am quite sure that the curriclum will be subpar, (although they have not decided on what it will be yet).

I should note that some blacks are opposed to this, for good reason.