BlackLabel's Westside Log

There are really only 2 alternatives to the “Westside” Template that still somewhat resemble Westside-Style training and will allow you to use the Max Effort Method.

Westside For Skinny Bastards III:
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

This has the 2 Max Effort Days, a High-Rep RE Upper Body Day, and a Jump-Training DE Lower Body Day to replace the two standard Speed Training Days

Matt Rhodes “Getting Ready to Powerlift”:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

Again you get the normal Max Effort Days, but on what would be your speed days, you do 5 sets of 10 on Squat and Bench with 50-60% of your max.

And these aren’t even anything like “Westside.”

If you really want to do a Westside Log, you need to build yourself a Squat Box. Do Straight Weight Speed Squats.

The Dynamic Effort Method is a fantastic way to raise your Maximal Strength. You can find straight-weight percentages here.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/top_3_squat_bench.htm

Notice the article says to add at least 10% to the listed percents if you’re lifting raw.
It also says you can work up to a heavy double on the day you feel the best in the 3 week mini-cycle.

And to be truly Westside, your Max Effort work will need to include a lot of good-mornings. Some articles suggest 70% of the max effort workouts be Good-Morning Variations while the remaining 30% consist of Low Box Squats and Deadlift Variations.

While this rule of 70% may not be put into practice, Don’t be afraid to perform Good-Mornings as a Max Effort Exercise as frequently as you would any other lift.

Can you post a squat video? a 295x8 squat and a 245 deadlift doesn’t seem right.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Can you post a squat video? a 295x8 squat and a 245 deadlift doesn’t seem right.[/quote]

Yea, ill try, but I only have a digital camera thats a piece of shit. My from is good if thats what your asking, its just I rarely do any kind of deadlifting above 185.

11-8-08 Saturday ME bench:

2 board bench:
135x10
155x5
175x3
195x3
215x3
235x3
245x2

Incline DB’s:
40’sx15
70’sx8
80’sx6-PR

Cable pushdowns:
45x10
55x10
75x8
85x6

V-Bar pulldowns:
45x15
90x12
110x10
130x8
140x6
Dont remember if this is the correct weight. After these sets I did about 5 sets with 100 pounds and a few drop sets.

Side raises:
16’sx12
16’sx12
16’sx12

Hammer curls:
20’sx12
20’sx12
20’sx12

Felt good today, got a good night’s rest. Was suprised at the 2 board press, 215 flew up, I had to work on 235, and 245 was a hard set. I think working with the dumbells on thursday is really helping. Got a PR on the incline DB’s. Overall good day.

Short term goal:
My 16th birthday is on November 23rd, a sunday. Im gonna see If I can squat 365 in training that day. And possibly deadlift 285.

11-9-08 Sunday ME squat:

Squat:
Stretching
135x10
185x10
205x5
225x3
245x3
265x3
275x3
295x3
315x5-PR
Knee wraps
335x4 (dropped goin for 5)

Abs:
Leg raises

Damn good squat workout. My squat has shot up in the past 2 weeks. Last week I got 315 for 4 in wraps, today I did it without wraps and got 5. 335 was a smooth set until the last rep, went really low and couldnt get out of the hole. Did 3 sets of 12 for leg raises. Gonna do some more later tonight.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Short term goal:
My 16th birthday is on November 23rd, a sunday. Im gonna see If I can squat 365 in training that day. And possibly deadlift 285.[/quote]

I hate calling someone out but if that 285 DL is difficult there is no way you’re taking the 365 to depth.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Short term goal:
My 16th birthday is on November 23rd, a sunday. Im gonna see If I can squat 365 in training that day. And possibly deadlift 285.

I hate calling someone out but if that 285 DL is difficult there is no way you’re taking the 365 to depth.[/quote]

Trust me man, I always go below or evenly parallel. I never do half squats. I was never just lazy in getting around to deadlifts, its just my upper back rounds like a bitch when I get anything above 200, so im very nervous in hurting myself. You got any ideas on how to correct this?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Short term goal:

I hate calling someone out but if that 285 DL is difficult there is no way you’re taking the 365 to depth.

Trust me man, I always go below or evenly parallel. I never do half squats. I was never just lazy in getting around to deadlifts, its just my upper back rounds like a bitch when I get anything above 200, so im very nervous in hurting myself. You got any ideas on how to correct this?[/quote]

Fact: If you’re trying to address weak points because you can’t deadlift 315, you are over-thinking it. Everything is weak.

Really, doing 5 pull-ups should give you sufficient upper back strength to do a 315lb deadlift.

If you truly can squat as much as you say you can, then you probably have horrible, horrible form in the deadlift.

Still, ANY weaknesses holding your deadlift back this much would have made themselves known in a full 365lb Squat. Upper Back, Erectors, Glutes, Hams, Abs, Whatever.

Even the best super-heavyweight squatters usually don’t raw squat an insane amount over their best deadlift.

Try Squatting to a 14’ Box. If you can hit 365, then we’ll all be baffled as to why you can’t deadlift more. But if you can’t squat 275 to a parallel box, your weaknesses will become clear.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Short term goal:

Trust me man, I always go below or evenly parallel. I never do half squats. I was never just lazy in getting around to deadlifts, its just my upper back rounds like a bitch when I get anything above 200, so im very nervous in hurting myself. You got any ideas on how to correct this?

Fact: If you’re trying to address weak points because you can’t deadlift 315, you are over-thinking it. Everything is weak.

Really, doing 5 pull-ups should give you sufficient upper back strength to do a 315lb deadlift.

If you truly can squat as much as you say you can, then you probably have horrible, horrible form in the deadlift.

Still, ANY weaknesses holding your deadlift back this much would have made themselves known in a full 365lb Squat. Upper Back, Erectors, Glutes, Hams, Abs, Whatever.

Even the best super-heavyweight squatters usually don’t raw squat an insane amount over their best deadlift.

Try Squatting to a 14’ Box. If you can hit 365, then we’ll all be baffled as to why you can’t deadlift more. But if you can’t squat 275 to a parallel box, your weaknesses will become clear.[/quote]

I can hit parallel squats, thats not the problem.

11-11-08 Some kind of bench day:

DE bench w/ 50 lbs. of chains:
125x3
125x3
125x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
straight weight
135x3

Shirted bench:
225x5
295x0
295x0

Random benching:
225x3
225x1

Military press:
115x6
125x5
135x2
115x5

Push-ups:

DE bench day, decided to through on the shirt for the first time in months. Ive lost bout 20 lbs. since so it didnt help to much. My training partner came late and started repping 225 afterwords so I said what the hell and tried it. I think I can hit 225 for 6 fresh. Really tired after all this so the military press wasnt to good, gonna hit them right after bench on saturday instead of back. Gonna go for 260 off a 2-board on Nov. 22nd.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

125x3
125x3
125x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
straight weight
135x3

Shirted bench:
225x5
295x0
295x0

Random benching:
225x3
225x1

Military press:
115x6
125x5
135x2
115x5

Push-ups:

DE bench day, decided to through on the shirt for the first time in months. Ive lost bout 20 lbs. since so it didnt help to much. My training partner came late and started repping 225 afterwords so I said what the hell and tried it. I think I can hit 225 for 6 fresh. Really tired after all this so the military press wasnt to good, gonna hit them right after bench on saturday instead of back. Gonna go for 260 off a 2-board on Nov. 22nd.
[/quote]

You’re doing Sets of 5 in a Shirt?

I don’t want to come off as a dick. You’re not strong enough to start training in a shirt.

This is the same as a skinny, normal person sitting at a bus stop telling a skinny person with a short-sleeved shirt that he isn’t jacked enough to justify wearing such a shirt. It doesn’t matter that the skinny, normal guy is skinny - he’s still right.

And if you need to put on a shirt to Bench 225, then using 135lbs on DE Bench, or using DE Bench at all, is too much too soon.

You’re 16 and you can’t Bench 315. Do some Raw Rep Work!

BlackLabel wrote:

125x3
125x3
125x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
straight weight
135x3

Shirted bench:
225x5
295x0
295x0

Random benching:
225x3
225x1

Military press:
115x6
125x5
135x2
115x5

Push-ups:

[/quote]

Yea, the shirt was loose enough so that I could touch with 225 pretty easily.

Im thinkin about starting creatine and BCAA’s. Not really sure on what to get or anything like that, any suggestions?

Lookin at this for BCAA

nutraplanet.com/product/nutraplanet/bcaa-s-500-grams.html

And probably just some GNC creatine.

BlackLabel wrote:

125x3
125x3
125x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3
straight weight
135x3

Shirted bench:
225x5
295x0
295x0

Random benching:
225x3
225x1

Military press:
115x6
125x5
135x2
115x5

Push-ups:

I don’t want to come off as a dick. You’re not strong enough to start training in a shirt.

This is the same as a skinny, normal person sitting at a bus stop telling a skinny person with a short-sleeved shirt that he isn’t jacked enough to justify wearing such a shirt. It doesn’t matter that the skinny, normal guy is skinny - he’s still right.

And if you need to put on a shirt to Bench 225, then using 135lbs on DE Bench, or using DE Bench at all, is too much too soon.

You’re 16 and you can’t Bench 315. Do some Raw Rep Work!
[/quote]

Dont worry man, feel free to express your opinion, I take it as advice. IMO theres not a strength requirment to use the shirt. Ive seen guys weaker than me using a shirt, and DE bench days. I dont need the shirt to bench 225 man, I did it 3 times without it today after all my sets. But i do understand what your saying. The shirt was really loose, when I bought it I was about 25 pounds heavier, now I can get into it myself no sweat. Back when it actually fit I would never think of going for a set of 5,I couldnt even touch with 275.

And you saying “You’re 16 and you can’t Bench 315”, your saying thats not a normal thing or what?

And Im actually 15.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

And you saying “You’re 16 and you can’t Bench 315”, your saying thats not a normal thing or what?

And Im actually 15.[/quote]

LOL. No. You’re quite strong for your age. Don’t worry.

I meant that as two reasons to choose rep work over DE work.
You’re young AND you’re not super-strong (no surprise because of your age).

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Im thinkin about starting creatine and BCAA’s. Not really sure on what to get or anything like that, any suggestions?

Lookin at this for BCAA

And probably just some GNC creatine.[/quote]

Support the site if you can bro. They make good stuff. I know the creatine is very cheap and free shipping, not sure on BCAA’s as I haven’t priced those recently.

On a side note you look strong for your age. Keep going and work on that deadlift!!

Monopoly

BlackLabel wrote:

And Im actually 15.

LOL. No. You’re quite strong for your age. Don’t worry.

I meant that as two reasons to choose rep work over DE work.
You’re young AND you’re not super-strong (no surprise because of your age).
[/quote]

Thanks, and yea Ive decided that im not gonna touch the shirt till I can hit atleast 300 raw. And I think the RE work with dumbells has helped me out alot, I havent even been doing DE work long enough to even tell if makes a diffrence.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Lookin at this for BCAA

And probably just some GNC creatine.

Support the site if you can bro. They make good stuff. I know the creatine is very cheap and free shipping, not sure on BCAA’s as I haven’t priced those recently.

On a side note you look strong for your age. Keep going and work on that deadlift!!

Monopoly[/quote]

Alright, will do. And thanks for the support.

11-12-08 RE Squat day:

Squat:
135x10
185x10
205x10
235x10
255x10
knee wraps
275x10
295x10-PR

Felt really shitty today. 4 hours of sleep, no food, alot of shit on my mind. And to top it all off my training partner didnt show because he was playing COD4. Was not expecting the 295 set to go well, NICE AND DEEP THOUGH. I fear I might have pulled something right above my left butt cheek. Felt pretty weird during/after the 275 set, and I really noticed it after the 295 set. Im gonna see how it feels for the next few days and determine wether or not to squat on sunday. Abs later on tonight.