T Nation

Blacking Out In The Hole

Today I experienced my first-ever blackout while squatting. I was trying to go from a 315x3 set to a 365 1RM. I maxed a week and a half ago at 335, and was feeling really good today. I went down, and when I opened my eyes, my face was almost purple from struggling to get up. My friend who was spotting is recovering from knee surgery, thank goodness it wasn’t a week ago or he wouldn’t have been able to help me up. My face still hurts from grimacing so much. Luckily, no injuries.

Anyone else have any stories of blacking out while lifting? I’ve heard of it being possible, but had never heard of anyone actually doing it.

I’ve felt weak, but never almost blacked out.

Are you breathing properly?

[quote]rsg wrote:
I’ve felt weak, but never almost blacked out.

Are you breathing properly?[/quote]

yeah, no problems there. it was bizarre, i had just drank a bunch of water too. it was really strange.

I think its a breathing issue, like u held ur breath in for too long, or held in too much of it. I’ve seen “stars” when I don’t let some of the air out. The only other time when my head feels funny is when I don’t eat enough and I get a mild headache.

2x check ur breathing next time.

yeah, i often get stars when i max out deadlifting, i take it as a sign to stop.

and last week was my first nose bleed :slight_smile:

anyone else see flying red dots everywhere after a max squat/deadlift? It’s probably the goofiest, most obnoxious shit ever. But it’s pretty crazy when it happens.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
anyone else see flying red dots everywhere after a max squat/deadlift? It’s probably the goofiest, most obnoxious shit ever. But it’s pretty crazy when it happens.[/quote]

that’s exactly what happened, yellow and red stars.

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
I think its a breathing issue, like u held ur breath in for too long, or held in too much of it. I’ve seen “stars” when I don’t let some of the air out. The only other time when my head feels funny is when I don’t eat enough and I get a mild headache.

2x check ur breathing next time.

[/quote]

thanks, recollecting the events makes me think that i did hold my breath once i started the descent…i always breathe a ton at the top right after i unrack.

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
anyone else see flying red dots everywhere after a max squat/deadlift? It’s probably the goofiest, most obnoxious shit ever. But it’s pretty crazy when it happens.

that’s exactly what happened, yellow and red stars.[/quote]

whre they flying around all over the walls. It was screwing with my depth perception and whatnot. I once maxed a boxsquat walked out of the rack. felt myself spinning seeing red dots flying on the walls and fell on my ass.

it was pretty funny.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
anyone else see flying red dots everywhere after a max squat/deadlift? It’s probably the goofiest, most obnoxious shit ever. But it’s pretty crazy when it happens.

that’s exactly what happened, yellow and red stars.

whre they flying around all over the walls. It was screwing with my depth perception and whatnot. I once maxed a boxsquat walked out of the rack. felt myself spinning seeing red dots flying on the walls and fell on my ass.

it was pretty funny.[/quote]

yeah except i wasn’t looking at the walls, i was looking at the floor with my hands on my knees…but same deal. pretty trippy

just realized why this isn’t getting more replies, i forgot about the whole “who here actually trains” thread that was like the same 10 or 15 people posting

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
just realized why this isn’t getting more replies, i forgot about the whole “who here actually trains” thread that was like the same 10 or 15 people posting[/quote]

Come again?

It’s certainly believable. The Valsalva maneuver causes blood pressure to skyrocket for a brief period.

What you are describing sounds disturbingly like a redout, which is caused a rise in intercranial blood pressure. Redouts are very dangerous, and aside from the temporary mental imbalances they incur, they can cause much more serious problems like retinal damage and possibly stroke.

I would have a good long chat with your doctors if these are even remotely frequent–meaning more than once per year. How is your resting blood pressure?

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
just realized why this isn’t getting more replies, i forgot about the whole “who here actually trains” thread that was like the same 10 or 15 people posting[/quote]

Yeah. Or maybe not everyone blacks out when they squat. Scary tale though.

Its probably the increase in blood pressure in your head. I can make myself pass out by flexing my neck really hard it feels pretty cool. Its like a do it yourself choke out game or whatever. I don’t really do it often since I was like 13, just saying but you get the point.

I’ve seen spots after squatting and deadlifting but haven’t passed out yet. I’m still trying to get myself to puke during or after a leg session. Haven’t achieved that yet. dang it.

Ohhhh I almost blacked out like 2 weeks ago, going for a max squat. I had done 255x3 a week earlier and was feeling pumped, so I went up to 285 and did the first rep no problem, when I hit the second rep my squat paused for like 3 seconds in the hole, during which I held my breath and my eyes started to get dark, but as soon as I passed the sticking point I quickly racked and took some deep breaths and was ok

[quote]rsg wrote:
ericbyrnesjr wrote:
just realized why this isn’t getting more replies, i forgot about the whole “who here actually trains” thread that was like the same 10 or 15 people posting

Come again?[/quote]

Seriously.

I lift a lot more than you (not rsg – don’t know about him), always hold my breath in a hard valsalva maneuver against my belt when squatting for central stability, and often see stars – mine are blue. My blood pressure is typically rock-bottom low unless Spiked. When I have passed out in athletic endeavors, it’s typically been from predictable hypoxia due to extended anaerobic exercise. If I were you, I’d get some basic tests, as passing out under such simple conditions is aberrant and disconcerting.

But then that’s already been said half a dozen times here. Doesn’t mean jack that people don’t answer you.

[quote]dre wrote:
I’ve seen spots after squatting and deadlifting but haven’t passed out yet. I’m still trying to get myself to puke during or after a leg session. Haven’t achieved that yet. dang it.[/quote]

Do what i did. Attempt a New PR on 5x5 DL with a belt worn too tight… :confused: make sure your in a place you wont get embarrassed

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
dre wrote:
I’ve seen spots after squatting and deadlifting but haven’t passed out yet. I’m still trying to get myself to puke during or after a leg session. Haven’t achieved that yet. dang it.

Do what i did. Attempt a New PR on 5x5 DL with a belt worn too tight… :confused: make sure your in a place you wont get embarrassed[/quote]

Embarrassed? You’ll get yourself killed if you’re no careful in the weight room.