Black Sabbath -- Heaven and Hell

Any T-Metalheads out there plan to catch Sabbath freshly reunited with Dio this summer? I caught this show last Thursday at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell. It was unbelievable. Machine Head and Megadeth were the supporting acts. Everything was perfect.

Dio’s voice is practically as it was when he was 20. Tony Iommi hasn’t lost a thing and Geezer Butler is a bassist in God’s own image. He isn’t a primadonna and he knows how to support the song without trying to be a central feature (ahem, Les Claypool.) Dio’s every bit as haunting as he ever was.

I had to stay up the rest of the night (11:30-5:43) wandering around North Billerica (an empty, dumpy suburb with nothing to do.) The all-nighter was miserable, after the concert, but worth it. Symphony X in three days (it’s in New York City, so I’ll have something to do afterwards!)

We need to hang out…now! My guitarists went to the show, and they said Dio and Megadeth were amazing, I’m so pissed I couldn’t go. Damn finals, but I may go to Symphony X, Michael Romeo is God.

Any idea why Bill Ward won’t be drumming?

[quote]DGSkalsky wrote:
Any idea why Bill Ward won’t be drumming?
[/quote]

While I don’t have any real info, I will say that Bill has looked like shit for a long time. I remember seeing them several years back (Pantera opened for them!)

and when the band left the stage after the 1st ‘ending’ of the show, he just sat at his kit until they came back out for the encores. He moved like he was 70. It’s possible he’s either in no condition to tour, or just flat-out doesn’t want to…

Bill Ward has had a heart condition for quite some time. In 1982 he had to drop out from touring due to a heart attack and couldn’t play on The Mob Rules. Considering that was 25 years ago, I’d think his ticker would give out just trying to pull off some of Vinny Appice’s parts from Dehumanizer. Appice is a very talented drummer. His solo on Thursday was amazing, as are those on live recordings.

Detazatoth – I recently picked up guitar again and completely because of Sir Romeo. He may be the most talented musician ever to win my vehement obsession. My friend feels your pain – he had to skip the Sabs because of finals. If I were you, I’d hit up the Symphony X show. I’ll be doing this one and the Worcester show.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Bill Ward has had a heart condition for quite some time. In 1982 he had to drop out from touring due to a heart attack and couldn’t play on The Mob Rules. Considering that was 25 years ago, I’d think his ticker would give out just trying to pull off some of Vinny Appice’s parts from Dehumanizer. Appice is a very talented drummer. His solo on Thursday was amazing, as are those on live recordings.

Detazatoth – I recently picked up guitar again and completely because of Sir Romeo. He may be the most talented musician ever to win my vehement obsession. My friend feels your pain – he had to skip the Sabs because of finals. If I were you, I’d hit up the Symphony X show. I’ll be doing this one and the Worcester show.[/quote]

I’m so going to the Worcester show, with my T-Nation shirt no less haha