Black Metal

Inspired by Detazathoth’s Death Metal thread, I decided to create a Black Metal thread.

And for those of you thinking I’m being funny, no, Living Colour is NOT what I’m talking about.

Black Metal began in the 1980’s with bands such as Venom, Bathory and HellHammer, arguably Celtic Frost. It’s mostly a Norwegian dominated scene, however, in recent years the United States Black Metal scene has made little steps into the respected underground, albeit anonymous scene. As with other genres in metal, Black Metal carries with it some good and some not so good characteristics:

1: Misanthropic/Satanic/Anti-Christian/Nature Themed/Fantasy Themed lyrics
2: Controversies- Murder, Church Burnings, Offensive Stage Shows
3: “Corpse Paint”
4: Black leather clothing with spikes or bullets
5: Most artists wish to remain obscure

Here are some of my favorite Black Metal bands:

Dimmu Borgir
Immortal
Drudkh
Burzum
Wolves In The Throne Room
Melancolia Estatica
Averse Sefira
Absu
Goatwhore
Satyricon

i listen to a lot of the bands you put up 1349 especially. Entombed/enslaved are pretty decent too. Good call on pointing out the older bands who started the scene. Venom is one of my favorites in general.

i used to be a huge metalhead, still listen to lots of metal…but not too much black metal

however here are some fav BM albums of mine
Dissection-Storm of the light’s bane
Ulver-Nattens madridgal
Mayhem-Grand declaration of war

if i listen to metal now its usually melodic death or brutal shit

I got pretty bored of metal for the most part, but I still love it. I just don’t listen to it 24/7 anymore.

As for black metal, it’s my fave genre of metal along with Viking Metal.

Emperor (Best band EVER)
Immortal
Keep Of Kalessin
Negura Bunget
Enslaved

I like some dimmu borgir. fav. is prolly hybrid stigmata…

the best by far is…slipknot!! they’re so BRUTAL and HARDCORE BLACK METAL.

i keed.

Mayhem rules. Dimmu Borgir, Immortal and Emperor kick major ass.

I used to be really into the Black Metal scene, even though the more “true” or “kvlt” fans of it didn’t like me too much because I didn’t wear band shirts or anything. I stopped listening to it so much because it’s so hard to be original in the genra with out changing the sound up so much that you start to sound more Gouthenburg-(sp?P)-ish like a faster At the Gates or something.

That’s why when I listen to metal I tend to lean more towards those At the Gates types bands of that era because they could all be original in their own right. Black metal is really just all the same to me now.

I’m not insane into Black Metal compared to DM, but I do enjoy Immortal, Emporer, Burzum and Marduk. Immortal is definitely the most hilarious, though.

Need I say more?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Need I say more?[/quote]

Not really. I don’t want to bash people who like black metal here, because that’s their thing, but it’s just kind of funny how hard some bands try to be demonic and wicked sometimes… especially Immortal.

[quote]SSC wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Need I say more?

Not really. I don’t want to bash people who like black metal here, because that’s their thing, but it’s just kind of funny how hard some bands try to be demonic and wicked sometimes… especially Immortal.[/quote]

Cool…then why are you posting in this thread, if you have nothing to really contribute? You said you’re into DM, I did create that thread for a reason.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
i used to be a huge metalhead, still listen to lots of metal…but not too much black metal

however here are some fav BM albums of mine
Dissection-Storm of the light’s bane
Ulver-Nattens madridgal
Mayhem-Grand declaration of war

if i listen to metal now its usually melodic death or brutal shit
[/quote]

Why Mayhem?

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
SSC wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Need I say more?

Not really. I don’t want to bash people who like black metal here, because that’s their thing, but it’s just kind of funny how hard some bands try to be demonic and wicked sometimes… especially Immortal.

Cool…then why are you posting in this thread, if you have nothing to really contribute? You said you’re into DM, I did create that thread for a reason.[/quote]

Because I said in an earlier post that I do like black metal.

I used to listen to metal a lot during 13-16 or so. my favorite from black was dimmu borgir, and now i only listen to them but mostly i guess cause i havent researched other bands that much. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. its the atmosphere their music has that i like… as for the lyrics i couldnt care less, most of the time i’d even prefer if there werent any:

allegiance (the beginning)
progenies of the great apocalypse(the beginning and the end… the inbetween where the one taht plays the bass if i remember correct sings… bores me)
kings of the carnival creation
hybrid stigmata
vredesbyrd
puritania(awesome)
eradication instincts defined
unorthodox manifesto
the serpentine offering(the only one ive liked from the new one, though i havent listened the rest that much)

@Lordstorm: If you like the Dimmu Borgir sound, I’d recommend these bands. Symphonic Black Metal is usually what they’re labeled as:

Emperor
Vesania
Sothis

if you want some really great, atmospheric Black Metal:

Drudkh
Wolves In The Throne Room
Burzum (youtube: Det Som Engang Var, you’ll like it.)

Those are all great Dimmu Borgir songs, by the way. I lift to ‘Demon Burger’ all the time.

[quote]SSC wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Need I say more?

Not really. I don’t want to bash people who like black metal here, because that’s their thing, but it’s just kind of funny how hard some bands try to be demonic and wicked sometimes… especially Immortal.[/quote]

Dude, Immortal don’t take themselves seriously at all!
While a lot of new to black metal fans might think they are legendary and uber kvlt and troo black metal, any metal head with brain knows they are a joke.

I love Immortal, I love their music but I also know the whole apperance is a joke.

I can’t believe there’s a genre called “Viking Metal.”

Too fucking funny.

How come there’s not Sumerian metal?

Or Phoenician metal… or ancient irish potato digger metal…

Man, I’m going to invent a whole subgenre here…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
How come there’s not Sumerian metal?

Or Phoenician metal… or ancient irish potato digger metal…

Man, I’m going to invent a whole subgenre here…[/quote]

I love Viking Metal, the thing about metal is not to take it seriously which too many metalheads do.

The funniest thing I have seen though, is Viking Metal by a bunch of mexicans, brazilians, turks ect…

Makes no sense brah

[quote]Rattler wrote:
SSC wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Need I say more?

Dude, Immortal don’t take themselves seriously at all!
While a lot of new to black metal fans might think they are legendary and uber kvlt and troo black metal, any metal head with brain knows they are a joke.

I love Immortal, I love their music but I also know the whole apperance is a joke.[/quote]

Immortal USED to take themselves seriously by trying to look gr1m and kvl4, but I think by after At The Heart of Winter, Abbath and Demonaz were just like “Screw it, let’s keep doing this because it’s all we’ve done and let’s just dick around during photo shoots” That’s the way I like to imagine it, anyways.

In regards to “Viking Metal”, most metalheads would agree that metal’s genre’s come from it’s sound, not from it’s lyrical content alone. Amon Amarth and Ensiferum sing about Viking lore and even Immortal sings about “Northern Tribes”, but yet there are vast musical differences between the bands sound themselves. Again, most would agree on “genrification” by sound, not lyrical content. I wouldn’t loop Turisas and Tyr into the same genre, because one is Folk.