Black History Month

I have to agree with Morgan Freeman on this one. We should cut the shit with the black history month. A person’s accomplishments have nothing to do with the melanin content of their skin, but everything to do with the contents of their mind.

Being black, white, green, whateverthefuck, is just a slight difference in genetic code. We’re all human here. It’s too bad racism still exists, but I do not think we need to make efforts to separate ourselves further.

Oh, and a side note, Al Sharpton is a jackass.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
doogie wrote:
Without getting called a racist, can someone tell me more about Corretta Scott King? I know she was married to MLK, but beyond that I didn’t realize she played much of a role in the civil rights movement. None of the articles I read in our local rag really went into any detail about her role. They just said she played a role. I was surprised at the size of her funeral, ect.

You were surprised at the size of the funeral for the wife of Martin Luther King Jr? Your post was idiotic. Do a damn internet search. I won’t even respond to anything else, but that last comment was dumb as shit. Then again, seeing who it came from I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.[/quote]

Yikes. At least he didn’t call you a racist, I guess…

I’d rather be wiped out than be turned into property…

A history month isn’t hurting anything or anybody.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Without him 110lb right wing nut job internet trolls would be posting willy nilly with no reprocusions at all.
[/quote]

Well JeffR is still here so I don’t know how effective the Prof is lately…

[quote]
doogie wrote:
Without getting called a racist, can someone tell me more about Corretta Scott King? I know she was married to MLK, but beyond that I didn’t realize she played much of a role in the civil rights movement. None of the articles I read in our local rag really went into any detail about her role. They just said she played a role. I was surprised at the size of her funeral, ect.

Professor X wrote:
You were surprised at the size of the funeral for the wife of Martin Luther King Jr? Your post was idiotic. Do a damn internet search. I won’t even respond to anything else, but that last comment was dumb as shit. Then again, seeing who it came from I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.[/quote]

I never said the funeral wasn’t warranted, just that I was surprised at the size. I had just thought of her as “MLK’s wife” and it became clear that I was missing something.

Surely you don’t think marrying MLK warranted that funeral. I’m sure she did much more, and I’m admitting I don’t know what it was.

All you had to say is that you don’t know what she did either.

[quote]doogie wrote:

doogie wrote:

Professor X wrote:
You were surprised at the size of the funeral for the wife of Martin Luther King Jr? Your post was idiotic. Do a damn internet search. I won’t even respond to anything else, but that last comment was dumb as shit. Then again, seeing who it came from I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

Surely you don’t marrying MLK warranted that funeral. I’m sure she did much more, and I’m admitting I don’t know what it was.

[/quote]

That’s where you are mistaken, teacher. I do know. I find it ridiculous that a teacher such as yourself not only doesn’t know but is so lazy they won’t search to find out and would rather act as if a large funeral was “overdone” for her simply because you didn’t know about her.

I find your comment extremely foolish, arrogant and disrespectful. Anytime that I begin to wonder why kids in this country don’t seem to be learning much from their education, I will always think of you.

[quote]
doogie wrote:

doogie wrote:

Professor X wrote:
You were surprised at the size of the funeral for the wife of Martin Luther King Jr? Your post was idiotic. Do a damn internet search. I won’t even respond to anything else, but that last comment was dumb as shit. Then again, seeing who it came from I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

Surely you don’t marrying MLK warranted that funeral. I’m sure she did much more, and I’m admitting I don’t know what it was.

Professor X wrote:
That’s where you are mistaken, teacher. I do know. I find it ridiculous that a teacher such as yourself not only doesn’t know but is so lazy they won’t search to find out and would rather act as if a large funeral was “overdone” for her simply because you didn’t know about her.

I find your comment extremely foolish, arrogant and disrespectful. Anytime that I begin to wonder why kids in this country don’t seem to be learning much from their education, I will always think of you. [/quote]

I edited my other post, but you got this in before I did. I’ll repeat myself.

I didn’t in any way say it was overdone. Your reading still sucks. I said I was surprised. I just thought of her as “MLK’s wife”. Clearly she was much more than that, but nothing I read after her death expounded on it (other than saying she was important to the movement).

I had a genuine interest and asked to be pointed to some information about her. Your response was to be your usual jackass self. Very helpful.

[quote]doogie wrote:

I edited my other post, but you got this in before I did. I’ll repeat myself.

I didn’t in any way say it was overdone. Your reading still sucks. I said I was surprised. I just thought of her as “MLK’s wife”. Clearly she was much more than that, but nothing I read after her death expounded on it (other than saying she was important to the movement).

I had a genuine interest and asked to be pointed to some information about her. Your response was to be your usual jackass self. Very helpful.
[/quote]

Wrong. Your question, with regards to what I consider a great human being lacked tact. That along with the few other posts before yours degrading the existance of Black History Month should have hinted at your need for that tact.

She was not “just Martin Luther King Jr’s wife”. Again, as said before, I am amazed a TEACHER would avoid informing himself before making such a comment. Don’t put your lack of attention to detail or your own lack of sensitivity towards the death of someone aside to act as if I responded wrong. Your initial comment was wrong given her recent passing.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Anytime that I begin to wonder why kids in this country don’t seem to be learning much from their education, I will always think of you.

[/quote]

My students have much better reading comprehension than you do. They don’t inject their prejudices into everything they read.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Anytime that I begin to wonder why kids in this country don’t seem to be learning much from their education, I will always think of you.

My student’s have much better reading comprehension than you do. They don’t inject their prejudices into everything they read.[/quote]

I hope they also don’t “inject” a lack of a sense of respect for people who just recently died who made positive impacts on society as well.

She pretty much spent her time since MLK died championing what he did when he was alive. She was a major force in getting his birthday made a federal holiday, so you can thank her for a day off from work a year and a black and white drawing of him in the paper every year.

Dave Chappelle is funny and I like him and since his show hasn’t been on for like two years, I think he qualifies as a hero to be celebrated as a great American black who contributed to our country in a big, funny way.

Wrong. The question was fine until you injected your racist, chip-on-your shoulder attitude into your reading of it. I don’t really think I’ve ever degraded the existence of Black History Month. I’ve ridiculed double standards here and there, but I don’t believe I ever said anything specifically about Black History Month. I could be wrong, though.

[quote]
She was not “just Martin Luther King Jr’s wife”. [/quote]

Um, I said that was obvious by the size of her funeral. I said that is all I knew about her before she died. Pay attention.

[quote]
Again, as said before, I am amazed a TEACHER would avoid informing himself before making such a comment. Don’t put your lack of attention to detail or your own lack of sensitivity towards the death of someone aside to act as if I responded wrong. Your initial comment was wrong given her recent passing. [/quote]

Where did I lack sensitivity towards the death of someone? You are borderline retarded. I made an honest request for information about her, because the things I’ve read (see I did make an effort) do a poor job of explaining.

Why is honestly requesting information about her wrong, just because she died recently? That seems like a very appropriate time.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
She pretty much spent her time since MLK died championing what he did when he was alive. She was a major force in getting his birthday made a federal holiday, so you can thank her for a day off from work a year and a black and white drawing of him in the paper every year.

[/quote]

Thank you.

I’m callin bs on Prof X. Coretta tried to license everything about MLK, and generally abused his legacy to her own gain. Licensing his speeches, the statue, etc. generally detracts from his image.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
How about a thread dedicated to all the great black men and women of our country? One of my favorite quotes:

“We must all learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”

--- MLK

And a good start would be to get rid of black history month and realize we are all on the same planet. What is the relevance of a persons skin color to their achievements? In my brief journey here I have read of and witnessed to great acts of courage, cowardice, genius and depravity by all races, genders and sexual orientations of PEOPLE.

You don’t get self-esteem from me for being a member of certain race. You earn it individually.

[/quote]

While fine in theory,whats wrong with celebrating the accomplishments of a race of people who until recently,weren’t even allowed the basic rights other American citizens enjoyed.

While I agree with what Morgan Freeman said,I don’t think we’re at point yet in America.Nothing wrong with celebrating ones history.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:

Dave Chappelle is funny and I like him and since his show hasn’t been on for like two years, I think he qualifies as a hero to be celebrated as a great American black who contributed to our country in a big, funny way.[/quote]

Black people hate Chappelle because his humor makes fun of blacks. Just ask al durr or X about this. And quit being igorant my man.

[quote]
Pretzel Logic wrote:

Dave Chappelle is funny and I like him and since his show hasn’t been on for like two years, I think he qualifies as a hero to be celebrated as a great American black who contributed to our country in a big, funny way.

GeorgeMontyIV wrote:
Black people hate Chappelle because his humor makes fun of blacks. Just ask al durr or X about this. And quit being igorant my man.[/quote]

All Black people share the same sense of humor? I was unaware of this.

Dont criticize corretta scott king you racist doogie. Thats WRONG! She’s beyond any criticism kind of like jesus.

This is what X is being:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/ethnix.htm

[quote]GeorgeMontyIV wrote:
Dont criticize corretta scott king you racist doogie. Thats WRONG! She’s beyond any criticism kind of like jesus.

This is what X is being:

[/quote]

Funny thing is, I wasn’t criticizing her.

[quote]GeorgeMontyIV wrote:

This is what X is being:

[/quote]

Why would anyone be criticizing her? For what?