T Nation

Black History Month

How about a thread dedicated to all the great black men and women of our country? One of my favorite quotes:

"We must all learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

--- MLK

And a good start would be to get rid of black history month and realize we are all on the same planet. What is the relevance of a persons skin color to their achievements? In my brief journey here I have read of and witnessed to great acts of courage, cowardice, genius and depravity by all races, genders and sexual orientations of PEOPLE.

You don't get self-esteem from me for being a member of certain race. You earn it individually.

Great idea for a thread!

One of my favorite African-American leaders will always be the Rev. Al Sharpton. He is consistently insightful, charismatic, and entertaining while making a powerful statement. His speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention was incredible.

"You said the Republican Party was the party of Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It is true that Mr. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, after which there was a commitment to give 40 acres and a mule.

That's where the argument, to this day, of reparations starts. We never got the 40 acres. We went all the way to Herbert Hoover, and we never got the 40 acres.

We didn't get the mule. So we decided we'd ride this donkey as far as it would take us."

...awesome.

What Morgan Freeman thinks...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

Sharpton is a race warrior. He hurts the cause more than helps it. He is funny and quick witted but he is not a good person.

There are literally millions black Americans that are better than him.

Please don't pollute a positive thread with his garbage.

One of my favorites has always been Frederick Douglas.

Here he is on the subject of abolishing slavery.

"On this subject I do not wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation .....Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of a ravisher.....but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present.....I will not retreat a single inch----AND I WILL BE HEARD."

Any man that has his kind of passion for the best of causes is a great man.

oh come on, you just don't like Al Sharpton because you're a right-winger and he's a diehard leftie like me. :wink:

I think he can be quite funny. He is an entertainer.

I don't think I will never forgive him for the Tawana Brawley bullshit.

Without getting called a racist, can someone tell me more about Corretta Scott King? I know she was married to MLK, but beyond that I didn't realize she played much of a role in the civil rights movement. None of the articles I read in our local rag really went into any detail about her role. They just said she played a role. I was surprised at the size of her funeral, ect.

You were surprised at the size of the funeral for the wife of Martin Luther King Jr? Your post was idiotic. Do a damn internet search. I won't even respond to anything else, but that last comment was dumb as shit. Then again, seeing who it came from I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Myself and every other firefighter owes quite a bit to Mr. Garret Morgan, inventor of the firefighters mask. Not only did he invent it, but he put it to the test himself. This dude was badass and a fine example of American ingenuity IMHO.

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/morgan.html

And of course we at T-Nation owe quite a bit to Professor X. Without him 110lb right wing nut job internet trolls would be posting willy nilly with no reprocusions at all.

Thanks Prof :wink:

Dr. Charles Drew. This man's research led to seperating plasma from red blood cells, thus lessening the possibility of contamination, and the blood lasts longer. (On an old M*A*S*H episode, I remember seeing this story). Sadly, Dr. Drew died because he was refused admission at a 'Whites Only' hospital, after an accident. The last part might be an 'urban legend'.

Perhaps if schools taught American history including all the different races that contributed to the development of this country then we wouldn't need a Black history month. But as long as only Whites are included in the general history education of this country we will need history months of another races to make their contributions known.

What's wrong with pointing out accomplishments of a particular group of Americans, especially one that was abused for the past 400 or so years?
I'd certainly like to expunge racism from the whole world, but I don't think acknowledging accomplishments promotes racism.

Even though hes not famous,Lawyer Judge,preacher and fighter for the rights of the common man.Leslie Isaah Gaines !! He was one of the first black judges in my area and treated whites and blacks the same.When i was a kid i used to wait for my mom after work in a building where they held court.Mr. Gaines was the only person who would speak to kids and even the bums that were around,all of his colleages acted as if they were above you or to important to make eye contact or even speak to you.I always remembered that growing up ,and when i saw him i thought now theres a real MAN,not one of these phony dicks that think they are someone special.

Which school does this? I learned about plenty of Black influentials in History class.

Oh, and as for appreciation - Medger Evers. A great but tragic story.

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."

--Dr. MLK JR.

When will people figure out that WAR is the only answer? It solves arguments, stops complaining and issues such as racial differences fade into the background.All we are saying is give war a chance!
Brandon Green

Sure doesn't, lol.

Last time I checked, there is only Black History month, no Hispanic History month, no Native American History month, and you think African Americans had it bad, we pretty much wiped out a whole population of indingenous people, yet no special months for them.