Black Flight from San Francisco

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]Menthol wrote:
Thought Walter Russell Mead had a nice article about what is happening in our inner cities with black Americans.

“Life Beyond Blue: Faith and the Inner City”
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2011/04/05/life-beyond-blue-faith-and-the-inner-city/

[/quote]

Very good article.

To see such thought in action, look into the work of the Dream Center in Los Angeles.

Look into some of the statistics as to the drop in crime rates that have been achieved.

To those who say “Show me proof of God,” here is your proof.
[/quote]

Please tell me that last part wasn’t serious.

Proof that religion can have a positive effect? Yes.

Proof that the claims of any one particular religion are true? No.[/quote]

When I read from you and your kind, I am often reminded of the quote from the character Ellsworth Toohey of The Fountainhead.

“Don’t set out to raze all shrines, you’ll frighten men. enshrine mediocrity-and the shrines are razed.”

Are you afraid to be powerful?
Or are you afraid that others can but you shall never be?

Why can you not tolerate great things being done by man in the name of God.
It is almost as though you would rather not see them done at all.

Even if I did not believe in God I would celebrate the accomplishments through love that Matthew Barnette and the Dream Center bring about every single day.

Whatever the source of your hate, know that it is not harming what you are focusing on. It is, however, going to eat you alive if you do not find a way to get rid of it.

I would say that SF is fairly tolerant. I was curious and looked at the census data for whites; 1970 whites made up 72% and in 2005 they made up 55%. Maybe it doesn’t have so much to do with race as cost of living. I couldn’t afford to live in SF. My girlfriend paid 2k a month for a one bedroom apartment. If blacks only make up 12% of the population how many are pulling in 80k+ to live in the city.

How many other races make enough to live in the city? I know plenty of 20 and 30 year olds who have multiple roommates just so that they can afford rent. Also people like to be with those similar to them, just look at the different areas of SF where people of a certain race tend to live together. Oakland is only a stones throw away and cheaper housing. Also Hunters Point is a hole and should be redeveloped.

As for schools, cram a shitload of kids into an underfunded school system and parents that expect kids to learn everything in school and you ended up with an ad for birth control.

More and more of SF has been gentrified in the past 20 years as the city has become awash with tech and financial industry money. Most parts are expensive as all hell. If you’re young and you don’t have children then it’s possible to afford it if you really want to but people move out once they have kids and usually end up going to the east bay.

It sounds to me like the blacks have the right idea.

The place is due to fall into the ocean any minute now and black people can’t (or don’t like to) swim.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
It sounds to me like the blacks have the right idea.

The place is due to fall into the ocean any minute now and black people can’t (or don’t like to) swim.[/quote]

Now Lift…you know how provocative you can be sometimes…

I really hope that you weren’t making a subtle “follow the rats” analogy.

(If not…huge apology…but you know how you like to “stir things up” sometimes…)

Mufasa

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Bolt:

I have to share with you two observations. One that came from my Great Grandparents to my Grandparents…and one from Martin Luther King.

First from my ancestors:

“The difference between the North (“tolerant”) and the South (“intolerant”) is this…in the South they would call you “Nigger” and feed you; in the North they would call you “Sir” and let you starve…”

Martin Luther King

By his own words, the absolute scariest and worst place be ever marched was not Birmingham or Jackson…it was in Chicago. He stated: “These people in Chicago need to go down to Mississippi and show them how to hate”.

The lessons for me were to 1) be careful about facades and phoney “tolerance” that people put up and 2) the South has had it’s tolerance “tested” much more than other places in the country. It’s also had blacks and whites working much more side by side than other places in the country.

To me, this report is no real surprise.

Mufasa

[/quote]

Its absolutely no surprise.

In the South income matters more than race. Poor whites and poor blacks work together without a seconds thought to their color.
[/quote]

This has been much of my experience as well.

maybe growing some watermelons will do the trick…

Amazing quote, Mufasa. It’s beautiful almost simply due to how disturbing it is (sobering, I should say).

I live in the Bay Area and can feel that undercurrent of racism for sure.

I will say, though, given how mixed this area is–Asian, Indian, other cultures–much of the racism is also imported. Those cultures are absurdly racist, which you can easily correlate with their ethnocentricity.

What I mean is, even if whites were “less racist,” the high amount of foreigners with their own racist attitudes would negate positive impact of declining racist attitudes among whites.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Amazing quote, Mufasa. It’s beautiful almost simply due to how disturbing it is (sobering, I should say).

I live in the Bay Area and can feel that undercurrent of racism for sure.

I will say, though, given how mixed this area is–Asian, Indian, other cultures–much of the racism is also imported. Those cultures are absurdly racist, which you can easily correlate with their ethnocentricity.

What I mean is, even if whites were “less racist,” the high amount of foreigners with their own racist attitudes would negate positive impact of declining racist attitudes among whites.[/quote]

Excellent point, Ponce.

There is no question that whatever black-vs-white “issue” still exist in the U.S. pales in comparison to some of the cultural and religious hatreds that exist worldwide.

Mufasa

How’d racism come up?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
How’d racism come up?[/quote]

Where did someone get the idea that tracking where black people live is a good idea?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
San Francisco’s black population has dropped faster than that of any other large U.S. city’s. It went from 13.4 percent in 1970 to an estimated 6.5 percent in 2005, according to the census. Nationally, African Americans make up 12.1 percent of the population.[/i]

[/quote]

since this is purely a percentage based study and not a quantity # study… is it that they really left in droves… or, did other people migrate there and raise the overall # and thereby decrease the black % ???