Black Bean Soup for Calories

Hey all. I eat this a lot, and thought I’d share the recipe. Its got all the right variables: quick, cheap, medium/low glycemic, calorie rich unsaturated fats, and FLAVOR

Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup

1 can RANCH STYLE brand black beans
dash onion powder
dash garlic powder
dash fresh ground black pepper
dash louisiana style hot sauce
Cheddar shreds/chunks
4 tablespoons olive oil

Dump beans in saucepan. Add 1/2 can of water. Add all ingredients except cheddar and bring to simmer stirring fast to make olive oil and spices into beans. Maintain simmer for a couple of minutes, then drop to stove’s lowest heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, pour in bowl, put cheddar on top, eat-em-up.

With the addition of olive oil, it comes out to about 850 calories. The black beans have the lowest glycemic index of all the bean family…some books rate them “low” some books rate them “medium”… The vinegar in the louisiana hot sauce should help that some, too (according to the article posted here "Food Magic 5X)

I rate them delicious… And I highly recommend the Ranch Style brand name - their black beans are big, soft, and seasoned with the most incredible broth-base. Many brands I’ve tried are too firm and grainy…and the beans are tiny.

If you’re in a hurry, you can leave off the simmering. I tend to throw a double recipe (1700 calories) together in a pan, stir it for a few seconds, then do whatever I have to do that morning while it warms…then come back to it and scarf it and out the door.

If you’re not in a hurry, fry up your favorite protein and add it. May as well use real onion and real garlic if you’re not time pressed, too.

Of course, I’m the standard hard gainer. You guys watching your fat intake wouldn’t do well on this at all…