BJJ vs NFL Grappling Match

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
Why the need to turn everything into, “Yeah, the big guy could have crushed him” Or “I would shoot him with my gun”

Seriously, this sounds like those Napoleon guys who see pictures of bodybuilders and can’t stop pointing out that they aren’t functional because they would be poor NFL players or gymnasts.

Who cares if a gun would kill a grappler?

Some of you sound Emo.

We could all get nuked and die… why lift weights… life is so meaningless.
[/quote]

Probably a few reasons. One is, people love to think that when they get mad they get ‘crazy’, or if they use a bat, they can’t lose. They don’t believe or admit there is anyone, or any situation for that matter, that they can’t handle. Two, they just hate bjj cause they’ve been doing some lethal style for 10 years and don’t want to believe that maybe there is more than what they know. Again here, they lose the feeling of control. Three they don’t grapple so they think when you post a grappling vid that you do grapple and you think you’re tough because you grapple. But you know that actually grappling makes you feel like less of a tough guy. I do BJJ and it’s why I would avoid a fight if I could. I don’t think I’m tough, I know what I can do and I know what can be done to me. I grapple cause love it and sometimes you wanna post a vid or something cause you like the sport and people just get mad because they think, you think, you’re some kind of tough guy cause you do BJJ.

At any rate it’s why I just shake my head at most posts on BJJ/MMA/Choking/punching and my personal favorite ‘Lethal street fighting’.
In fact you should no better than to post a grappling vid here. Here, right here on this forum, there are people who train for “the street” would kill any grappler, boxer, footballer, basically anyone! Everyone of course, except their even more street lethal sensei, sifu or master. Who usually owns a place in a strip mall.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
XxMAGxX wrote:
Why the need to turn everything into, “Yeah, the big guy could have crushed him” Or “I would shoot him with my gun”

Seriously, this sounds like those Napoleon guys who see pictures of bodybuilders and can’t stop pointing out that they aren’t functional because they would be poor NFL players or gymnasts.

Who cares if a gun would kill a grappler?

Some of you sound Emo.

We could all get nuked and die… why lift weights… life is so meaningless.

Probably a few reasons. One is, people love to think that when they get mad they get ‘crazy’, or if they use a bat, they can’t lose. They don’t believe or admit there is anyone, or any situation for that matter, that they can’t handle. Two, they just hate bjj cause they’ve been doing some lethal style for 10 years and don’t want to believe that maybe there is more than what they know. Again here, they lose the feeling of control. Three they don’t grapple so they think when you post a grappling vid that you do grapple and you think you’re tough because you grapple. But you know that actually grappling makes you feel like less of a tough guy. I do BJJ and it’s why I would avoid a fight if I could. I don’t think I’m tough, I know what I can do and I know what can be done to me. I grapple cause love it and sometimes you wanna post a vid or something cause you like the sport and people just get mad because they think, you think, you’re some kind of tough guy cause you do BJJ.

At any rate it’s why I just shake my head at most posts on BJJ/MMA/Choking/punching and my personal favorite ‘Lethal street fighting’.
In fact you should no better than to post a grappling vid here. Here, right here on this forum, there are people who train for “the street” would kill any grappler, boxer, footballer, basically anyone! Everyone of course, except their even more street lethal sensei, sifu or master. Who usually owns a place in a strip mall.

[/quote]

You’re right, I should know better.

Most of the time I remember, but sometimes I forget.

Oh well, I’ll keep posting on this thread to make sure that people don’t think that I’m trying to say “big guys are lame, impotent and never get laid” and then I’ll make sure that I never create a thread like this again.

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
XxMAGxX wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:

Then I’m not sure I’m following your train of thought.Why bring up that you could have gotten mauled by your teammates if it were a real fight?

Again, I’m not even sure why we’re talking about fighting when we’re looking at a grappling video.
[/quote]

This is my last attempt. You posted a link to a video that, according to you, is a representative display of the superiority of bjj. I responded with reasons why I didn’t think this video was impressive as a display of bjj. My examples were to explain why I wasn’t impressed. Other people took off on the fighting tangent.

I’m not sure why this video impressed you so much. There are far more impressive bjj videos out there on the web, trust me - I’ve seen them.

DB

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
Probably a few reasons. One is, people love to think that when they get mad they get ‘crazy’, or if they use a bat, they can’t lose. They don’t believe or admit there is anyone, or any situation for that matter, that they can’t handle. [/quote]

I’m of two minds. One, I am sick of 140 lb. BJJ white belts posting videos showing, by implication, that they can beat up NFL players. I train at one of the top schools in the country (everyone would recognize it if I said it). I would not put money on any of the little white belts up against a big guy in a street fight.

Two, I am sick of people who have never been in a fight discussing how they could own anyone. Unless a person has been in several fights, he has no clue how he or his body would respond to the conflict.

In short, I am sick of posers. If you’re a twig BJJ guy, I don’t want to hear shit from you until you’ve earned a purple belt. If you’re a big untrained guy, I don’t want to hear shit from you unless you’ve been in a dozen fights.

Happily, if such a rule were imposed, these discussions would never occur.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Scrappy wrote:
Probably a few reasons. One is, people love to think that when they get mad they get ‘crazy’, or if they use a bat, they can’t lose. They don’t believe or admit there is anyone, or any situation for that matter, that they can’t handle.

I’m of two minds. One, I am sick of 140 lb. BJJ white belts posting videos showing, by implication, that they can beat up NFL players. I train at one of the top schools in the country (everyone would recognize it if I said it). I would not put money on any of the little white belts up against a big guy in a street fight.

Two, I am sick of people who have never been in a fight discussing how they could own anyone. Unless a person has been in several fights, he has no clue how he or his body would respond to the conflict.

In short, I am sick of posers. If you’re a twig BJJ guy, I don’t want to hear shit from you until you’ve earned a purple belt. If you’re a big untrained guy, I don’t want to hear shit from you unless you’ve been in a dozen fights.

Happily, if such a rule were imposed, these discussions would never occur.[/quote]
Well Said!!! Cheers

Scrappy wrote:
Probably a few reasons. One is, people love to think that when they get mad they get ‘crazy’, or if they use a bat, they can’t lose. They don’t believe or admit there is anyone, or any situation for that matter, that they can’t handle.

Happily, if such a rule were imposed, these discussions would never occur.[/quote]

By all means.
A BJJ white belt is everyone. I mean, all that takes is going to class once. If you start today you’re a white belt, So yeah if a guy is a white belt talking trash then he’s just a goof.

I’m just not sure the implication of a video post is always,
“Hey look, Gil Castillo (no slouch) beat up an NFL guy so I could too.”
I think it’s more to just show the vid.
I don’t know many twig bjj blue belts who can beat up a big NFL level dude. Certain twig BJJ purple/brown/black belts might need to watch out if there is punching involved. I think most know that. And this was vid was just grappling.
The question for me is, if this video ‘means’ something or is it trying to say something? How did Gil and this NFL guy come to roll? Did Gil challenge him? I would doubt that. I have seen many times though, where people want to test themselves against a guy who makes the mistake of saying
“I know:
Karate, Kung Fu, BJJ, Boxing…some kind of fighting.”
Why is this? Cause people have egos.
If I say I golf, race a car, ride a bull or play some sport you would not normally hear people want to compete in that sport against me, unless maybe they’re into the sport too. But in fighting, every guy just thinks he’s tough, guys with no training whatsoever will want to see where they fall against some guy who claims he does some fighting style.
So in this case and in a lot of others, I imagine the big guy didn’t think Gil could make him tap out. So the vid may have a point that sub grappling is ‘real’ and works even against bigger athletic dudes. Of course, if you’re not at Gil’s level then the assumption that you would do what Gil did is wrong.
The problem is that so many people who don’t grapple think they can beat or not tap to a guy who does. That’s just weird to me. Also, many guys think they can punch with a guy who does boxing. People think there are inherit traits that make them tough or good fighters. When the truth is it’s a sport and people who train it will do better, much better, than those who don’t. But it just seems like people will accept that if they meet a guy who say he plays in the minors, that he is a better baseball player than them. But when they meet a guy who says he does bjj or whatever, they ‘don’t think he’s that tough.’
And it carries over to the point where you can’t even post a vid of bjj vs. footballer without people getting mad.

By far the most impressive bjj videos are when matt hughes beat the hell out of royce gracie and bj penn. haha

Scrappy speaks the truth.

I don’t get it…
Are they just going for a choke submission?
I can’t see why the football player couln’t have grabbed a front headlock from the sprawl. Then again I know nothing of BJJ so meh.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

This is my last attempt. You posted a link to a video that, according to you, is a representative display of the superiority of bjj.

DB[/quote]

Odd, I read his posts on this thread and didn’t once read him saying that.

[quote]Body Hammer wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:

This is my last attempt. You posted a link to a video that, according to you, is a representative display of the superiority of bjj.

DB

Odd, I read his posts on this thread and didn’t once read him saying that.

[/quote]

What does “to show what all the fuss is about” mean to you? Perhaps I misinterpreted that phrase.

Honestly, I don’t give a shit anymore. If you guys want to be impressed by this vid, then be impressed.

DB

Here is what would really happen if a BJJ guy fought a fucking huge powerful NFL lineman…Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ‘Minotauro’ vs Bob ‘The Beast’ Sapp.

Awesome stuff…

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ‘Minotauro’ vs Bob ‘The Beast’ Sapp

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
And it carries over to the point where you can’t even post a vid of bjj vs. footballer without people getting mad. [/quote]

I could care less if people get mad. Next time the OP can forward the video to me. I will post it.

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:

It’s all clearly documented in the early UFC matches (when there were no weight classes, rounds, limited rules) and a long documented (filmed) history of Brazilian Vale Tudo.

I’m sure you can still rent Royce vs Ken Shamrock, Royce vs Dan Severn, Royce vs Kimo etc…

[/quote]

Yea, I saw these fights and it was crap. Shamrock and Royce rolled around the ground for 30 minutes in a missionary position, and Gracie used his Gee to thwart any submission from Shamrock. And guess what, the few times they stood up, Gracies face was bloodied byu Shamrock. So praytell, where is rolling around in missionary for 30 minutes, and using a gee as a weapon applicable in any current MMA sport?

And the same thing with the Kimo fight, the gee was used far too much to considered atire. It was a defense mechanism and a weapon and a distinct advantage.

Why do you suppose Gracie got his ASS handed to him by little on Matt Hughes?

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
At many points in that match the football player could have crushed the BJJ guy. When he was shooting for his legs, he could easily have picked him up and slammed him on his head.

I seriously doubt the football player knew any submissions, so exactly what was his arsenal? To pin the guy? [/quote]

Picking someone up and slamming them is not easy, even if you are much bigger and stronger. That is especially true if you are trying to pick up and slam someone with gil castillo’s ability. I guess you haven’t tried it.

[quote]XxMAGxX wrote:
Well, considering that bjj never deals with disarmament, it’s all speculation.

BTW: I think a baseball player would be the best at wielding a bat. But that might just be my crazy notion of sport specificity. lol

[/quote]

Not true. BJJ deals with disarmament.

Tony Soprano is better with a bat.

Scrappy wrote:
And it carries over to the point where you can’t even post a vid of bjj vs. footballer without people getting mad.

I could care less if people get mad. Next time the OP can forward the video to me. I will post it. [/quote]

Yeah - you are the king shit, huh?

Are people supposed to cower in fear of the mighty CL’s posting strength?

LMMFNBJJAO!!!

Internet tough guys…gotta wonder, WTF?

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Here is what would really happen if a BJJ guy fought a fucking huge powerful NFL lineman…Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ‘Minotauro’ vs Bob ‘The Beast’ Sapp.

Awesome stuff…

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ‘Minotauro’ vs Bob ‘The Beast’ Sapp

Incredible, incredible fight. But, keep in mind that Sapp did have several years of training at that point with some of the best fighters on the planet, it’s not like he walked straight into Saitama.

Scrappy wrote:

Already said, but great post.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’m pretty sure that BJJ is defenseless against a base ball bat.

Now I have no empirical data to support this, but in the real world - BJJ will lose to a baseball bat almost every time.

I’m just saying - if your gonna really fight, fight to win or just keep your ass on the bar stool. [/quote]

THANK YOU.

ENOUGH WITH BJJ BULLSHIT!!!

Yes, it’s nice to know. Might get you out of jam. But keep pulling that streetfighter closer to you on the ground like BJJ does, and watch when he sticks you in the ribs with a knife or his buddy kicks you in the head.

Fuck, I’ve had it hearing about this crap.