How do you pass?

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
Avocado wrote:
I try not to get that well pinned.

-chris

o

How do you pass?

[/quote]

Well I assume (maybe wrongfully, maybe not) That If you are face full of chest hair then he has you pinned hard in either mount or North south/ It could possibly be some kind of bastardized side control as well but unlikely.

So for me personally I find that to keep the fuzzballs, and everyone for that matter, I make sure to keep strong posture and use pushing tools to create space between my face and his nipples.

I suppose it is a more experienced level that you learn to “pre-escape” as it were. What I mean is that I try not to let people get fully into any “positions” such as mount or North south. By keeping their head or arm back and spoiling their ability to base out on you you can keep them from getting strong pins and thus hair out of your mouth. Albeit that it wont work on all the strongest players in your facility or in the world but it is by far the one thing that I think most constantly about: “if im not in an orthodox position I won’t have to escape from it.”

Also I always use the “wrestling rule” that is if you have both shoulder blades on the ground you are fucked. Even in the guard we all know that you don’t want to be on your back, you want to be on your side using your shrimping movement to create space and prevent him from pinning and passing you right? So same goes for all positions. Inside the guard don’t let him cross his legs. under the side mount don’t let him get chest to chest, stay on your side and keep his head and hips back. In back mount either grab your feet (seems odd know but he wont be able to reach your head and it gives you an escape window) or pin your legs together. pinning the legs together prevents his hooks from sinking between them and allows an easier escape.

All these things are methods of not getting pinned or put into the bad side of a position. I find that If im always working on never being in a “real” position and im in a dynamic one or a scramble most of the time then I have better chances of sinking my own pin without expending the energy of escaping from a fully sunk in side mount or something. And also i avoid stinkies and fuzzballs.

Easier said than done i suppose but fat for chewing.

Or you could just tell him you wear a shirt and relax underneath his behemoth mass.

What’s worse is a dude that shaves his chest with stubble on your face in the clinch or something like that.

-chris

I’ll give one example: basic butterfly guard passing and sweeping from the butterfly. You don’t press the top of your head into their chests do you?

Alright two: the lock down when you’re in someone’s guard and you have your hands on their biceps…

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I’ll give one example: basic butterfly guard passing and sweeping from the butterfly. You don’t press the top of your head into their chests do you?
[/quote]

Are you asking for a pass for butterfly guard? My favorite is the basic, reach my right hand around their left left leg to my opp right foot and hold onto it, then force them to their back and slowly work my way around to my left.

A good one, that has to be done quickly, is to kick my right leg back releasing their left hook and then bringing it in quickly to their right leg trapping their right hook with both legs and then working around while maintaining an under hook on their left side with my right arm.

I never press my head in as that would probably give away my base and facilitate my opponent’s sweep. If I feel unbalanced in an opponent’s butterfly guard while he is sitting up, I try to work my hands around to my opponent’s knees in order to push on them and prevent being rocked back and lifted up.

I’m not sure the position you’re referring to, if this is from half guard and someone tries that lockdown, I like to stand up as quickly as I can which puts a shitload of pressure on my opponent’s feet.

If I time it properly and he doesn’t release the ‘lockdown’ (why do we have to use EB’s stupid ass names for everything. The ‘twister’ was a wrestler’s guillotine long before mr bravo came along) he will end up footlocking himself. worst case scenario he readjusts his legs and I end up in a regular half-guard.

After reading the thread over I see JRT6 was referring to earlier topics regarding chest hair. I guess I should clarify, I do press my head in when I’ve got the butterfly hooks stalemated (either smashed or one removed) and I’m working my pass around. I guess there really isn’t much way to get around smashing your face into another dude’s chest hair.

BJJ is one of the more disgusting sports I take part in. Somedays at the end of practice I’ll be sweeping the mat and end up with piles of what look like pubic hairs.

Even more amusing is the amount of women the current MMA trend has brought to our academy…I foresee a distinct drop-off in enrollment the minute one of them gets staph, ring worm, or a little cauliflower ear.

i do no gi bjj and when i come home i got so many different BO’s on me i get confused about life and who i am, i got shirts that i washed 3 times with a shit load of soap and they still stink like my training partners its just apart of the game.

For takedown defence and shoots at wrestling we sometimes do this drill with a group of people.

One person grabs a light medicine ball (bit smaller than a basketball).

Make a small area that everyone has to stay in, your always in wrestling stance when you move around. Person with ball throws/passes it at someone elses knee area. This is to emulate someone grabbing for your legs so your reaction to stop them with your first line of defence(arms)by catching it. then new person with ball does the same by throwing it to someone else. You can’t move with the ball.

Then after you’ve done that. As well as throwing it you can also ROLL the ball to other people. When the ball gets rolled to you, you sprawl and the ball will hit your chest. Then grab it stand up as quick as possible and carry on.

The real fun begins when you do a few rounds, and pick up the pace so your sprawling and defending your legs while also practicing your movement.

Can also be made into a knockout game where if you don’t sprawl/catch or do a bad throw your out.

When I wrestle what happened when I trained with only guys better than me is I got very defensive and learned how to get out of moves and how to keep guys from taking me down. So when time came for me to wrestle other guys, I couldn’t shoot.

I’m now learning that the key to a good defense is a strong offense. If you constantly shoot on people and push into them, they’ll have no time to work their moves because they’re defending yours.

[quote]Chris82362 wrote:
When I wrestle what happened when I trained with only guys better than me is I got very defensive and learned how to get out of moves and how to keep guys from taking me down. So when time came for me to wrestle other guys, I couldn’t shoot.

I’m now learning that the key to a good defense is a strong offense. If you constantly shoot on people and push into them, they’ll have no time to work their moves because they’re defending yours.[/quote]

yeah this is exactly right. I found that once I started having more confidence in my ability and became more aggressive I had to worry a ton less about people fucking with my shit. I suppose the short form would be to never just give up a top position for the guard. push until you get the advantage or he has to use his energy to get on top of you.

Now I am not what anyone would describe as a “grinder” because im too lazy but I still try and put guy under the heat in my own sloth-like way. constant movement for posture is always a good bet for this even if you aren’t a type A fighter. plus it’s just good habit to be able to move from posture to posture and one day you start seeing where the “windows” are and thats when you can finally get into some submissions.

-chris