T Nation

BJJ Belt Rankings

I have heard multiple responses in regards to the reasonable amount of time to move from white belt to blue, and blue to purple and so on, but if Im training 8-10 hours a week, would getting my blue belt in a year be an attainable goal?

I think it depends on who you are training under. Like if its a Gracie you might get one in 3 years :slight_smile: but a non-gracie good instructor you will get one much quicker.

You can be at the same level and recieve you belt from one instructor while another instructor might not want to award the belt yet. Gracies are stingie (sp) about giving out belts…they like to keep you locked in the system…pretty good business men actually.

Yeah, that’s pretty reasonable, depending upon your ability and how intelligently you train.

8-10 hrs/week for 52 weeks eh…maybe/maybe not

depends where you are at and your background. 2 years for sure

I train under a Ricardo Almeida(ie Renzo Gracie) black belt, it took me 8 months to get my blue belt. I had 16 years of wrestling prior to this and a willingness to learn from the ground up. I did not rely solely on my top game to dominate other white belts. I started right away developing a guard game to compliment my takedowns and top control.

The point of BJJ is positional control working towards a submission. Does it really matter how quickly you attain a belt? Just know that you will get your ass handed to you at first and most people do not stick with BJJ past the first few months.

[quote]BMass wrote:
I have heard multiple responses in regards to the reasonable amount of time to move from white belt to blue, and blue to purple and so on, but if Im training 8-10 hours a week, would getting my blue belt in a year be an attainable goal?[/quote]

Focus more on learning, belts are nice, but they are just meant to hold up your pants.

I could care less what belt I have so long as I can beat your ass.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
BMass wrote:
I have heard multiple responses in regards to the reasonable amount of time to move from white belt to blue, and blue to purple and so on, but if Im training 8-10 hours a week, would getting my blue belt in a year be an attainable goal?

Focus more on learning, belts are nice, but they are just meant to hold up your pants.

I could care less what belt I have so long as I can beat your ass.[/quote]

I hate the belt meant to hold up the pants line. The belt keeps the GI top closed.

I got my Blue from Roger Gracie and Mauricio Motta Gomes in a year and a bit of training 10-15 hrs per week. I got my purple about 3 years later.

Belt only covers a couple of inches of your arse, the rest is down to you…

[quote]snipeout wrote:
apbt55 wrote:
BMass wrote:

I could care less what belt I have so long as I can beat your ass.

I hate the belt meant to hold up the pants line. The belt keeps the GI top closed.[/quote]

It is something Royce says to everyone that asks about belt promotions. Then he will put on a white belt and say, now lets see if this changes anything and if the person actually consents to rolling with him it is usually pretty amusing to watch.

so sorry it was meant more of a joke quote than anything.

apbt55, funniest thing was a couple of TMA blackbelts turned up to a seminar with Royce here in Mexico and decided to wear their black belts with a BJJish gi for the duration.

I was worried that Royce would be offended, his response was “the only one looking stupid is them, they are tapping to my white belts”

During sparring I proceeded to hogtie one of them with his own belt, just for sh1ts and giggles.

The guys I train under trained under Helio Soneca so they are pretty legit but they don’t do the whole belt system. I just roll no gi. But how does the order of belts go in Jiu Jitsu. I know in karate it’s like the fucking rainbow.

white, blue, purple, brown and black

Snipeout, I used to train at Ricardo’s school in Hamilton. Who do you train with?

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
Snipeout, I used to train at Ricardo’s school in Hamilton. Who do you train with?[/quote]

Bill Scott.

Awesome. I like him a lot.