BJ Penn vs. Wanderlei Silva

http://www.thefightgame.tv/bj_penn_interview_total_combat_january_29_2005.htm

I posted this in the MMA Talk thread. Just wanted to see everyone’s reaction if they didn’t catch it in my other post. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

im a huge penn fan, but he’d be in for a bad beating against wandy

A 200 lb version of Penn and this would be a great fight. I don’t mean Penn putting on a bunch of weight either, but if he was/had been fighting at 200 lbs for a few years, his skills would make for a good matchup. I don’t see him giving up 30 lbs or so to Silva (or more if he drops to 155), and winning.

He couldn’t even handle GSP what makes him think he could survive Silva. Wandi is in demand right now, hopefully he can pencil in a smash of Penn after he crushes Lidell.

Why does everyone want to fight Silva right now? Don’t they realize this guy is probably in the top 2 of MMA fighters in the world right now? Maybe they are trying to throw him off his game so he doesn’t wint the Pride OWGP event against opponents who all outweigh him by 50 or so pounds.

Wandy has to fight Cro Cop, possibly Nog/Barnett if he somehow beats Mirko, then he wants to fight Lidell, THEN if he beats Cro Cop and winner of Nog/Barnett he has to fight Fedor, AND there isn’t even a single title defense for his Pride belt in there. I’d say Wandy has his hands full for the time being. BJ calling attention to himself is the last thing on Silva’s mind.

BJ Penn couldn’t handle GSP?

You are joking right? He manhandled GSP, and inflicted far more damage. GSP came out looking weak and Penn came out strong.

Penn also schooled Hughes and if it weren’t for a contract dispute with UFC
he might still be the champ.

[quote]Thad wrote:
He couldn’t even handle GSP what makes him think he could survive Silva. Wandi is in demand right now, hopefully he can pencil in a smash of Penn after he crushes Lidell.[/quote]

Interesting link, thanks bigblue.

Re: the challenge, all I can say is: the interview took place in tijuana after some heavy partying. That’s the only explanation I have for 5’9 chunky BJ Penn challenging 6’3 roided up Silva. Penn prob walks around at a chunky 185 or so, Wandy walks around at a lean and jacked 225.

Now Sakuraba vs Penn, THAT’S a fight I’d love to see.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
http://www.thefightgame.tv/bj_penn_interview_total_combat_january_29_2005.htm

I posted this in the MMA Talk thread. Just wanted to see everyone’s reaction if they didn’t catch it in my other post. Pretty crazy if you ask me.[/quote]

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Wandy has to fight Cro Cop, possibly Nog/Barnett if he somehow beats Mirko, then he wants to fight Lidell, THEN if he beats Cro Cop and winner of Nog/Barnett he has to fight Fedor, AND there isn’t even a single title defense for his Pride belt in there. I’d say Wandy has his hands full for the time being. BJ calling attention to himself is the last thing on Silva’s mind.[/quote]

Exactly…

I recently heard someone talk about how it’s not fair that Lidell has to fight Babalu before he gets to Silva. I’m not sure most people realize how full of a schedule Silva takes on.

Nor do they realize, that you can’t group guys like Babalu with CroCop and Nog.

Seem’s to me like BJP is only calling out Silva because he knows it won’t happen anytime soon.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
BJ Penn couldn’t handle GSP?

You are joking right? He manhandled GSP, and inflicted far more damage. GSP came out looking weak and Penn came out strong.

Penn also schooled Hughes and if it weren’t for a contract dispute with UFC
he might still be the champ.

Thad wrote:
He couldn’t even handle GSP what makes him think he could survive Silva. Wandi is in demand right now, hopefully he can pencil in a smash of Penn after he crushes Lidell.
[/quote]

Too bad the Judges didn’t see it that way! We have had this argument before, the thing is he LOST. Which means he didn’t “handle” GSP, who is talented but no Silva.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Wandy has to fight Cro Cop, possibly Nog/Barnett if he somehow beats Mirko, then he wants to fight Lidell, THEN if he beats Cro Cop and winner of Nog/Barnett he has to fight Fedor, AND there isn’t even a single title defense for his Pride belt in there. I’d say Wandy has his hands full for the time being. BJ calling attention to himself is the last thing on Silva’s mind.

Exactly…

I recently heard someone talk about how it’s not fair that Lidell has to fight Babalu before he gets to Silva. I’m not sure most people realize how full of a schedule Silva takes on.

Nor do they realize, that you can’t group guys like Babalu with CroCop and Nog.

Seem’s to me like BJP is only calling out Silva because he knows it won’t happen anytime soon. [/quote]

I agree with you 100%. The only thing I can think of is that Wand knows he is in huge demand and everyone wanting to fight him is at the top of their game. With that said, maybe he fears a loss to at least one of them, and he could use Penn as a rebound for some easy money.

Just a different thought to switch it up a bit.

Using the UFC judging criteria GSP won the fight. If we were using the Pride judging criteria then BJ won the fight.

It was close.

BJ did inflict more damage though.

I think BJ is outgunned in that fight. I’d like to hear what SlimJim has to say…

Something about Penn is that he has never been stopped. In fact he has gone the distance with Ryoto Machida who has stopped both Rich Franklin and Stephan Bonnar, and out weighed BJ by quite a lot.

Granted despite his skills Machida doesn?t fight enough to be truly compared to Silva, but it?s wroth noting anyway.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Interesting link, thanks bigblue.

Re: the challenge, all I can say is: the interview took place in tijuana after some heavy partying. That’s the only explanation I have for 5’9 chunky BJ Penn challenging 6’3 roided up Silva. Penn prob walks around at a chunky 185 or so, Wandy walks around at a lean and jacked 225.

[/quote]

Silva is 5’11.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Silva is 5’11.

Yep, and doesn’t he fight at 205, not 225?

Silva cuts to 205. He’s not really a 205 lbs guy. He weighs in at 205 lbs at the weigh in, but he’s not really 205lbs come fight time. That is true of most fighters though regardless of weight.

[quote]thuderliger7134 wrote:
Silva cuts to 205. He’s not really a 205 lbs guy. He weighs in at 205 lbs at the weigh in, but he’s not really 205lbs come fight time. That is true of most fighters though regardless of weight.

[/quote]

Yeah I read a Japanese interview with Chuck Liddell and Chuck said he walks around at 102.5kg(226). HE said he gets down to 96kg(212) befoe he starts to cut water.

What is Penn going to do this year? AT one point he was going to fight in the K-1 85kg Hero’s tournament. NOw he isn’t. SOme people said he would go back to LW in the UFC. I think he should fight at 170. From what I know he does not have a fight lined up. Does anybody know?

[quote]thuderliger7134 wrote:

[/quote]

Silva weighed in at 220 for his fight with Fujita.