T Nation

BJ Penn May Have Trained Properly

Credit to insidefighting:

BJ Penn may have actually trained. This can only be a good thing. One of the greatest things about him moving back to 155 lbs may that in order to get down there he has to, you know, do cardio.

Without straying too far, I cannot imagine what it must be like to be BJ Penn. Having that level of talent is something I cannot comprehend.

BJ Penn, in terms of physical gifts, is the most talented MMA fighter who has ever lived. I know there are some sections of the board who will call him a, sometimes, tubby fuck and then dismiss him because his bench does not meet their expectations. However BJ is frightening.

He acquired his BJJ black belt in three years, faster than any other American. He was the first non-Brazilian to win the black belt division of the Mundials.

He has great stand-up.

Matt Lindland won an Olympic Sliver medal in wrestling. Lindland has spent his whole life wrestling. He thinks that BJ Penn is the best athlete he has ever encountered. BJ spent, something like, a month training with him. After that month Lindland said that HE had trouble taking Penn down.

BJ Penn fought Loyto. This is prior to Loyto moving to 185 lbs. Loyto has stopped Bonnar and Franklin at 205 lbs. BJ went to distance. Yeah, I know David Heath did the same thing at UFC 70 however BJ is a guy who turns up carrying fat at 170 lbs.

Basically, BJ actually training properly is a truly great thing.

He is looking to be very motivated for this fight, I think he realizes that he isn't getting younger and if he wants to leave his mark on the UFC, he needs to pull it together.

I for one, do not like these posts idiolizing these guys(even though I've done it in the past) as it only makes the loss(should it happen) that harder to take. People are heavily favoring BJ in this fight, and while I do agree that he is the more well rounded fighter by far, it is hard to discount Jens' accomplishments and skill. BJ has not performed well in the past when he has come in to the fight as the favorite.

I know popular opinion is that Jens only has a "puncher's chance," but he is a very solid fighter that is very hard to get down and hold down...he gets up very well for a lightweight striker. I don't know that BJ will be able to stand and trade with him, but I'm hoping he can and will.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that as good as BJ is, Jens is a skilled and worthy oponent with a good shot at a win against almost anyone in the division.

It's nice that you have so much love for another human being

And i'm sure an 8 mile run is ideal conditioning for explosive/high strength fighting work......not :stuck_out_tongue:

Something I don't understand...

Why everyone pushes this high intensity cardio so fucking much. Yes I understand thats how fights are fought and it helps with your recovery, but I can't think of a fighter that doesn't incorporate long distance running. When I say long distance running I mean LONG distance running. I know for a fact that if I dont do alot of distance running before a fight and only focus on high intensity, I burn out in a couple of rounds.

Some of the best fighters I know are the some of the best runners I know. Rocky Marciano ran 10 miles a day exclusively and he never got tired in a 12 round fight. I think the knocks I'm constantly hearing about long distance cardio and fighting are complete bullshit. But what the fuck do I know.

Rant over.

It will be interesting to see BJ in the next fight but I think Jens will give him trouble.

Legend, I am going to start with the question have you ever been in the ring as an amuture or professional? Right, I didn't think so. The main reason that we can see for Penn to be going 8 miles at a stretch is that his stamina is terrible. Most fighters just have to survive the first two rounds with BJ, get him into the thrid round and they come out with a submission.

He is training his endurance because that is what he needs. He is already an explosive fighter he just needs to be able to carry if further. But feel free to call up Team Penn and let them know your concerns. If you get through your first sentence I am sure you will hear a click and a dialtone soon after.

Love
Thai Boxer

I wasn?t trying to do that.

Jens is a good fighter, no doubt.

He has boxed at 147 lbs.

In MMA , if anything, he should be at 145 lbs. He has spent his whole career fighting above his weight class and it has been a successful, but not easy, career.

I think Penn will beat him because, despite how good Pulver is, I think Penn truly is, talent wise, the greatest MMA fighter who has ever lived.

When Pulver moves to the WEC and starts competing at 145 lbs I expect people to realise just how good he is.

Pulver taking on Faber or Yamamoto excites me no end.

What are the odds on this fight?

Thanks

I agree. Sparring, hitting the bag etc is already HIIT. Adding more HIIT on top of all of this is very demanding physically and may actually take away from fight specific training.

I think some long distance work has a place in may athletes training.

I was not trying to do that.

Jens is a good fighter, no doubt.

He has boxed at 147 lbs.

In MMA , if anything, he should be at 145 lbs. He has spent his whole career fighting above his weight class and it has been a successful, but not easy, career.

I think Penn will beat him because, despite how good Pulver is, I think Penn truly is, talent wise, the greatest MMA fighter who has ever lived.

When Pulver moves to the WEC and starts competing at 145 lbs I expect people to realise just how good he is.

Pulver taking on Faber or Yamamoto excites me no end.

Aye lad, Kickboxer for many years, mostly trained circuits, shuttle sprints carrying mate, skipping jumping and sparring.

they do the long run as that is what they always have done

do a Waterbury search

A focused, motivated, in shape BJ Penn is scary thought. Win or lose Pulver is always game though.

But I read on the Internet that long runs are a waste of time. Why would I look to what champions are actually doing when an Internet guru (who wants to sell me his book, by the way) is telling me differently?

I've never bought in to the BJ Penn hype. I've seen him fight plenty....Pulver, Gomi, Hughes twice, St Pierre.

He is a great fighter but his hype far outweighs his accomplishments in MMA.

IMO opinion, as a 10-4 fighter and having never been a reigning champ, he has a lot of work to do if he is to be truly called one of the greatest. I'm looking forward to him getting in the mix with the lighweights and seeing him take on the best in the division.

I don't see how the fact that something is done because it is a tradition could be viewed as a criticism against it. Most of the time traditions start and are kept up for very good reasons.

Because they are all on bucket loads of steroids and are lying, that's why. Quit using reason, it's a dangerous thing in these parts.

But yeah, I'm a bonafide BJ nut hugger. He is so goddamned gifted, and when he's on his A game there is no one more entertaining to watch.

And they are genetic freaks!

In any event, BJ Penn, like Fedor Emelianenko, is unable to dead lift three times his bodyweight. Therefore, he is not a complete mixed martial artist. I read this on the Internet. And if you can't trust the Internet, who can you trust?

Once BJ Penn reaches his 2.5 x bodyweight squat and bench, and 3 x bodyweight dead lift, I'll entertain discussions of his greatness. Until then, there's really nothing to discuss.

Sorry for just reading the first couple posts, as I might be repeating what someone has already posted.

His nutrition supplemented by his conditioning/training got him to the 170lb weight class. Or was it his training supplemented by his eating? hahaha

Let's understand this, he ate local Big Island/Hawai'ian style of excess. We all did this when training and trying to get into a higher weight class. One of the best ways to stay in shape while eating so damn much crap was to go running ironic statement. Pretty much the same approach to conditioning he is going through now. So it is very safe to say that he has cleaned up his diet, which is opposite of what he did to gain weight. SO is his running what is getting him into condition? That's what the media is promoting. Most of us "training dummies" knew he didn't hit the weights like the double bodyweight DLs etc. The CrossFit wasn't as strong as everyone thought it to be, but that doesn't mean he does use the same dedication to deal with some tough work.

Just remember, running long distances never correlated to champions in any sport other than running long distances. It would be cool if BJ did do some double bodyweight DLs though. I already got my imu setup for the party on Saturday.

Don't forget the barbell complexes! You're not a real fighter until you can do 10 sets of barbell complexes with 95 pounds.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but what does BJ Penn bench?