Bitten by the Lifting Bug

Greetings, Everyone!
A few days ago, my kettlebell trainer gave me my first taste of traditional lifting in the gym. I already knew that I wanted to take my strength training to the next level by incorporating lifting into my current routine (i.e. lifting bells 2x/wk and doing weekly boot camp for more conditioning), but WOW…after Saturday, I’m really excited about it to say the least!

He kept it very light as it was only meant to be a quick intro. to some things before regular kbell class, but I really enjoyed it and am eager for more! He told me after the fact that I had bench pressed 75 x 5 (obviously, I knew how many reps, but I had no idea how much weight…he kept adding until I was challenged). I think I squeezed out 3 more reps before stopping; had never done those before, so I was happy with that.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to get into the gym regularly within the next couple of weeks (need to iron out the schedule), but in the mean time, I’ll continue to lift KBs and do boot camp. Trainer has been encouraging me to sign up and share that here, so for anyone who might also lift KBs, I’ll be looking forward to sharing notes.

I’ve been doing it for a little over 2 years solid, and to say that I’m hooked is an understatement. Really quite happy with the progress I’ve made and how it’s changed me for the better. I lost fat, built muscle, and got stronger - and in combination with improving my nutrition plan, it’s been a great journey thus far towards creating a better “me.” Btw, for you regulars here, you know my trainer: Rick Fischer. I’m super blessed to have him not only as my coach but as my friend!!!

Basics: When I first started with KBs, I was probably ~145lbs. and had wasted 3 yrs. after the birth of my second child saying that “I need to get back into shape.” For several months now, my weight had been pretty steady at 123lbs (I’m 5’3" tall, age 43), and in the past couple of weeks, I’ve been hovering ~120-ish. Short-term KB goals include staying on the heavier end of my range for sessions (i.e. use 40 and 45lb bells more than the 35) and messing around w/adding weight to my pistols, which I’ve been having fun working on.

Longer-range goals include HKC (Hardstyle Kettlebell Certification) and eventually RKC (Russian Kettlebell Challlenge Certification). This is more for personal development than anything else as I’m not a trainer. Looking to tweak things with the addition of lifting outside of KBs to build stronger shoulders, stronger back, stronger…everything. :slight_smile:

Not sure how consistent I’ll be with keeping up a log, but I look forward to reading more of yours and learning lots.

oh - kinda hard to quickly find a “regular” pic of me, since I’m the shutterbug in the family and am rarely IN the photo, so the one I posted is from my first-born daughter’s “Dress like a Rock Star” 7th bday party last October. We have lots of fun w/her parties each year, since she was born just a few days before Halloween.

Jean

Rockstar!!

Wouldn’t you be better pictured with a Grand Piano…

Welcome aboard Jean(Mighy Mouse)!

Hey Fisch good job on getting your peeps in here.

Welcome glad to see you here, dont listen to Edgy when he says KB are the tools of the devil. He is old.

Welcome KBgal.

"He kept it very light as it was only meant to be a quick intro. to some things before regular kbell class, but I really enjoyed it and am eager for more! He told me after the fact that I had bench pressed 75 x 5 (obviously, I knew how many reps, but I had no idea how much weight…he kept adding until I was challenged). I think I squeezed out 3 more reps before stopping; had never done those before, so I was happy with that. "

Fantastic and Welcome!

welcome, nice to add another female to the mix too. I’ve only gotten one “skullbell” but I really like him.

Welcome and well done for getting started.

Welcome. I’ll second Vicki in that it’s nice to add another woman to the mix.

Welcome KBgal! Another Rick Disciple! good luck in all your lifting endeavors.

Another Body by Rick! Welcome.

Musicians who lift are definitely hardcore! :wink:

(p.s. there’s an ignore feature somewhere that you can use to make the posts of crazy people disappear)

Welcome always room for more.

I don’t post as much as I use to and I see some rudeness has seeped into our little isle of civility. Be assured it’s the exception and not the rule. Make yourself comfortable and share as little or as much as you like. We really don’t have a lot of serious kettlebell users in here and your input will be interesting. Welcome.

KB gal you are in good good hands

welcome

Hi, Everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome and well wishes! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Derek - Thanks, too, for the note on Edgy. No worries, KBs don’t strike everyone’s fancy, but the proof is in the pudding. Using only KBs, I went from…let’s see, how did Rick originally describe me…oh yes: from “squishy” to not-so-squishy and strong! :slight_smile:

On the other hand, maybe Edgy was right. A friend just sent this to me yesterday (wild, but might scare away any newbies if we got one for the gym, haha): http://www.demonbells.com

Matty

hmmm, looks like something happened to part of my last post, so here it is again (sorry if it somehow duplicates):

Matty & punnyguy - Yes, I consider myself DAMN lucky to be another “Body by Rick” in the making! (Thanks for the tip on the ignore feature…that will come in handy.)

Now regarding the negative commentary on here, I will say this and then be done with it:
By trying to insult me, you have insulted my coach who invited me to join this community in the first place. In case you haven’t noticed, he is a pretty well-respected member here whose contributions add value to people’s lives, something you clearly haven’t yet mastered. To say the least, I am SO not cool with that, so please refrain from posting here; you’ll just be ignored.

Bogatir, you ROCK! Great session tonight!

Ok, folks, it’s recovery time. I’m spent from a great kettlebell LIFTING session tonight (w/35 or 45# bell): lots of swings, clean/press, swing snatch, sotts press, squat press - w/pushups in between. He called this one “At the Gates of Hell.” Indeed. :slight_smile:

Welcome.

You’ll find a great variety of people on this forum, from beginners to elite lifters. There’s something to be learned from everyone.

And I must admit, I’ve never even picked up a kettlebell in my life.

Welcome to the forum, I just replaced cable pulls with kettlebell pulls…good stuff…very hardcore :slight_smile:

My new gym actually has some kettlebells. I played with them for a moment, don’t know what to do with them.

welcome, and although I haven’t personally used kettlebells much, my wife digs them, so they gotta be good

Welcome.