T Nation

Biting the Bullet. Gotta 'Diet' Now

Height: 5'11
Weight: 193lbs
Lean Weight: 162.12lbs
BF% - 16%

Training history:

I started when I was 18 @ 123lbs. since then have been up to 183 and LEAN (in my pic). I've been off training for a year.. personal issues, substance abuse etc... and no real weight training until now. I'm sort of unsure where to go with diet.

I've been eating a LOT of carbs, and JUNK food... Annihilating bags of chips... GALLONS of ice-cream.. etc... I'm a mess... lol Apparently quitting chemical drugs also slows down the metabolism.. haha!

I know I've lost muscle, and put on fat... and i guess I wouldn't mind getting back into my avatar shape again. Slowly but surely... with time.

So...

Here's where I'm at:

TDEE: 3000

I figure I should eat ~2500 to cut... or 3500 to gain... but I'm unsure as to what to do. I DO enjoy heavy lifting, and am deathly afraid to lose the muscle I do have.

Any ideas as to whether to bulk/cut or otherwise?

I've added a pic... mind the red skivies, and messy house... :stuck_out_tongue:

Let'r rip!

Pic # 2

Just for shits... this is my diet (to critique) for both ranges:

2500 Calories:

Meal 1:

1 scoop(s), 100% Whey Gold Standard
0.5 cup, Quaker Oats
0.5 cup, Berries

Meal 2:

6 Large Whole Egg(s)
1 cup, Spinach (cooked)
1 tbsp, Udo's Choice

Meal 3:

5 oz, Chicken Breast (no skin)
1 cup, Broccoli (raw)
1 oz, Almonds (dry roasted)

Meal 4:

2 Cans of Tuna
2 tbsp, Reg. Mayonnaise
1 stalk(s), Celery (raw)

Meal 5:

1 scoop(s), 100% Whey Gold Standard
1 scoop, GlycoCarb
2 tbsp, Gatorade

Meal 6:

5 oz, Chicken Breast (no skin)
0.5 cup, Broccoli (raw)
0.5 cup, Brown Rice (cooked)

Totals:

2500.00 250.00 150.00 100.00

Calories Protein Carbs Fat

More or less the same deal... but with more food...

3500 Calories:

Meal 1:

2 scoop(s), 100% Whey Gold Standard
0.5 cup, Quaker Oats
0.5 cup, Berries

Meal 2:

6 Large Whole Egg(s)
.5 cup, Spinach (cooked)
1 tbsp, Udo's Choice
1 oz, Almonds (dry Roasted)

Meal 3:

7 oz, Chicken Breast (no skin)
1 cup, Broccoli (raw)

Meal 4:

2 Cans of Tuna
2 tbsp, Reg. Mayonnaise
1 stalk(s), Celery (raw)

Meal 5:

2 scoop(s), 100% Whey Gold Standard
1 scoop, GlycoCarb
3 tbsp, Gatorade

Meal 6:

250 gram, Sirloin Steak
0.5 cup, Broccoli (raw)
1 cup, Brown Rice (cooked)

Totals:

3550.00 350.00 200.00 150.00

Calories Protein Carbs Fat

Personally I'd keep adding size, otherwise you'll just look like a skinny dude with abs like you do in your avatar.

Thanks LM... I think I'm more or less gunna just go with the 'building' mentality... 3500cals to start... and see where we go. If I keep my food clean, the rest should take care of itself... Lower the junk... up the good stuff... we'll see what's up... :slight_smile:

If you haven't trained in a year, why not get back into it eating maintenance or a little above. Your body is going to be a lot more responsive to training after a long layoff if you are feeding it adequately. I can understand the sentiment that you are unhappy with your bodyfat and want to do something about it, but jumping into a fat loss diet when you haven't lifted seriously in a year is a sure fire recipe for ending up smaller than you were before.

Yea eh? Thanks Stronghold... I appreciate that man...

I wouldn't "cut" quite yet. Just eat tons of whole healthy food, chicken breasts, tuna, tilapia, almonds, walnuts, and oats just to name a few. You need to have a good base of muscle before you start worrying about leaning out. Get caught up in cooking and be healthy instead of that substance abuse bullshit, eh? :slight_smile: basically everything people have been saying previous to my post is great advice, too.

If you are afraid of losing muscle then you shouldn't be thinking of cutting. At 16 you are still lean enough to add a few more lbs.

.....O yea and 193 at 16% Bf is actually 162 lbm

Can I ask what is your waist measurement?

Yea. you're right... I'll change that up there.. thanks... Ummm Hmmm... lemme check...

I wear a 31/32 pants... but the actual circumference (belly button around) is 36"s... I'm one of those 'Hold it all in your belly' types... :S

I checked my BF with the 7 point test using calipers...

Hey VibeAlive! Nice to see you here again!

Hey Deb! Awww.. thanks... :smiley:

ok thanks.

Yer welcome? :slightly_smiling:

When I saw your first pics I though that your waist looked really wide so I guessed It to be around the mid 30 mark but in your new avi your waist looks great.

Oh yea.. yea.. that 'new' AVI is my OLD pic.. the one up there is my NEW pic... :S the old ones up there is where I'm at now.. and the new one is where I want to be.. :slight_smile: Again.. :slight_smile:

Oh yea.. yea.. that 'new' AVI is my OLD pic.. the one up there is my NEW pic... :S the old ones up there is where I'm at now.. and the new one is where I want to be.. :slight_smile: Again.. :slight_smile:

Your new pic you look skinny. Add 20-30 lbs with that leanness.