Bite Much? (Copying Songs)

MGMT- Of Moons Birds and Monsters

2:47

Papa Roach- Forever

1:00

yeah i was listening to the Papa Roach song and im like wow this sounds REALLY familiar matter of fact i think i know where this came from and of course MGMT did it first unless someone did it before them that i dont even know

You have the same link for both.

Doesn’t surprise me.
Papa Roach is just a low-budget Faith No More hack anyway.

Uhh… the album that the MGMT song was on was released in October, 2007. The Papa Roach album, September, 2006.

Also, the songs sound nothing alike.

Papa Roach is a low-budget Faith No More? I’m no Papa Roach fan, but they don’t sound like they’re ever trying to emulate FNM.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Uhh… the album that the MGMT song was on was released in October, 2007. The Papa Roach album, September, 2006.

Also, the songs sound nothing alike.

Papa Roach is a low-budget Faith No More? I’m no Papa Roach fan, but they don’t sound like they’re ever trying to emulate FNM.[/quote]

lmao@ the songs sound nothing alike, are you deaf? theyre EXACTLY the same…well not the whole song but that one part, i mean theyre unmistakeably similar.

btw i refuse MGMT copied anyone let alone Papa Roach, theyre a decent band but they arent hugely innovative.

The sound is sort of similar, as in tone and what not, but the melody… not even a little.

Who the hell listens to MGMT anyways that isn’t a chick or an emo scenester?

And I mean, refuse to believe it all you want, but Papa Roache’s album came out a year earlier.

I wouldn’t care if you were a prostitute
And that you hit every man that you ever knew
You see it wouldn’t make a difference if that was way before me and you
And you don’t ever have to worry about me
As long as you keep it real
Whatever is on your mind
You speak on how you feel
Stay truthful to me
Never lie to me
And don’t ever keep no secrets
No matter whatever, whatever no
Girl you know what I mean

They could say what they want
But it will never change my views
Cause they’ll never know you the way that I know you
See I’m trying to share the rest of my whole life with you
And if we got to be alone, so be it baby
If they can’t understand our love
Then we don’t need them baby

Some lyrics from “You and Me” by Musiq Soulchild

I Wouldn’t Care If You Were A ProstitutE and
That You Hit Every Man That You Ever Knew
See It Wouldnt Make A Difference
If That Was Way Before Me And You Girl
See You Dont Ever Have To Worry About Me
As Long As You Keep It Real
Whatevers On Yo Mind
Speak On How You Feel
Stay Truthful to me
And Never Lie To Me
And Dont Ever Keep No Secrets
No Matter Wutever Uh Uh…
Girl You Kno Wut I Mean Yea
Well If Ya Dont Then Ill Explain
See They Could Say Wut They Want Girl
But It Would Never Change My Views
Cuz They Will Never Know You The Way That
I Know You
You See Im Down To Spend The Rest Of My Whole Nite Wit U Girl
And If I Gotta Pay A Loan
So Be It Babe
And If Ya Friends Cant Understand Ya
You Dont Need Em Babe

Lyrics from Lil Wayne’s “Prostitute Fling” song

Just something I noticed.

Live, those two songs are not even close. The only thing that they share in common is a similar tempo and a similar pulsing rhythm. But even then, the pulsing rhythm is more of a transition part in the MGMT song compared to it being essentially the main riff of the Papa Roach song.

Other than that, they are in different keys, they have different melodies(pop quiz, what musical element is copyrightable?) and mostly different rhythms(pop quiz, what musical element is not copyrightable?) as well as different instrumentation, different arrangements, and, as best as I can tell different lyrical content.

But more importantly, what are you doing listening to these two bands anyway? both songs were terrible.

I can understand him being compelled to listen to MGMT. There really aren’t alot of innovative things being passed around the stations. In fact, I bet he thinks he’s struck gold just hearing them. With all the disgusting things passing for music, who could blame him. By comparison with right now, MGMT look like geniuses. If you don’t know where to look.

Live from the whereveryouare, there is much better. I promise. You just have to dig deep down, and everyone here has you pegged as shallow, but I think you have the capacity to understand more things. If you stop being such a Boston cunt.

ghostface - Holla - Live In NYC (DVD) - YouTube

Best bite ever.

That shitpile Nickelback is guilty of ripping themselves off.

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
I can understand him being compelled to listen to MGMT. There really aren’t alot of innovative things being passed around the stations. In fact, I bet he thinks he’s struck gold just hearing them. With all the disgusting things passing for music, who could blame him. By comparison with right now, MGMT look like geniuses. If you don’t know where to look.

Live from the whereveryouare, there is much better. I promise. You just have to dig deep down, and everyone here has you pegged as shallow, but I think you have the capacity to understand more things. If you stop being such a Boston cunt.

[/quote]

how can you not like MGMT?

and im not saying the WHOLE song is identical im saying the parts at those specific incriments of time…jeez. if you still dont think they sound similar then i have no idea what to say, theyre as plain as day to me

[quote]meangenes wrote:
ghostface - Holla - Live In NYC (DVD) - YouTube

Best bite ever.[/quote]

well he didnt bite them, he used the song in it’s entirity and just rapped over it.

i cant find the song on youtube but Ghostface Killah has a song called “My Guitar” aka “Beatles” which samples this song

just about any decent rap song samples an older rock song, its actually pretty pathetic.

matter of fact, everyone bites Willie Hutch

That song is a surefire way to get me to change the radio station.

Either they’re not identical songs or your band copied Papa Roach. Which is it?

And Iron Dwarf, what do you have against Faith No More to insult them like that? What did Mike Patton ever do to you my friend?

[quote]Aggro wrote:
Either they’re not identical songs or your band copied Papa Roach. Which is it?

And Iron Dwarf, what do you have against Faith No More to insult them like that? What did Mike Patton ever do to you my friend?[/quote]

theyre identical, not in their entirity but in 2 brief segments. it could be coincidental, but i just feel like MGMT is more creative than Papa Roach, again i dont hate Papa Roach but thats just how i feel.

If, somehow, someone could possibly perceive any part of one song as being identical to a part in the other song, then MGMT ripped Papa Roach off, not the other way around despite you feeling like MGMT is more creative.

Peter Schilling- Major Tom (vocals@ :50 )

Weezer - In My Garage (vocals@ :59 )

Weezer - Say It Ain’t So

Asher Roth - I Love College