Bitches & New York City

Let’s just start at the beginning. I made reservations to take a trip to the apple with a girl who has promptly cancelled on me. I now face the prospect of spending a weekend in the city alone (non-transferrable, non refundable tickets, she is still paying for hers btw). Being the resourceful person that I am, I plan on making the most of this trip. At least now I won’t have to do all of that bullshit girl stuff such as shopping and paying 2 prices for food and Broadway plays. I am eagerly seeking advice from those of you in the know regarding T-man things to do. Maybe recommend a hardcore gym where I can lift, suggest some off the beaten path things to do, list the best libraries, or name some cool places where I can drink cheap beer. Please hurry. I leave Thursday.

atlas Lots, of things to do in NYC. As far as hardcore gyms check out Bev Francis Gold’s Gym on 235-c Robbins Lane Syosset, NY 11791 or Johnny Lat’s Gym on East 17th Street, between 5th Ave. & Broadway. Johnny Lats would be probably the closest to you. A little less hardcore try CRUNCH. and if you want to be real plushy or see the rich and famous train at either LA sports clubs, Reebok sportclub or Equinox( don’t think Equinox allowes out side members w/o a guest pass. Its more Exclusive. I am not sure about LA Sports Club or Reebok if they allow outside guest or not. I believe they do. I highly reccomend training at LA Sports Club & Reebok once because it is an experince! The size of the gym and what they have inside is unreal. its 10 floors of fitness.)

By the way a great way to sneek in these clubs with out paying a guest fee and they probably let you train for a week is to tell them that you are moving to the city and looking for a place to work-out at and say that your on a business trip for now and feeling the place out. Sure, you will have to sit through a BS sales pitch but its worth it if you can get a free pass for a week at the end. At Johnny Lats though I’ll just pay for the guest fee. I beileve its somewhere around $10.

Plently of clubs,bars, resturant to go to also. And if you like strip clubs a few good ones in the city.

Personally, I don’t care for strip clubs anymore, at one point in my life I did frequent them but now I think its a waste of money now.

Clubs to check out “The World”(inside the WWE resturant) ESPN Zone is cool also if your in Time Square.

Don’t forget to eat in NYC also pick up a copy of ZAGAT. Go downtown and check out Little Italy, Chinatown, and if you like to shop Soho. You can relax in Central Park or head uptown to check out museums.

hope this Helps.

In Health,

Silas Chen

No way. She didn’t want to travel out of town with a guy who refers to women as “bitches”. I find that hard to believe.

Doogie, you’d refer to her as a bitch too if you were excited about taking a chick to the city and she cancelled on you.

fitone: Thanks for the recs. I’ll definately check out a couple of those gyms, and while strip clubs aren’t my thing, I will hop into a couple of those bars. I spent a long weekend in the city before, and my favorite activity was simply walking and taking it all in. I will probably end up doing a lot that this time.

doogie: Grim pretty much said it. When I mentioned the possiblity of going to NYC she was all over it, very excited. Then yesterday, less than 48 hours before we leave, she cancels by e-mail. I don’t refer to all women as bitches. But I think you, and even most women, would agree she earned the moniker. I’m just glad I discovered her status before I invested anymore than the past six weeks into the relationship.

Grim: thanks buddy

I second the motion for Jonny Lats. It’s a little grungy, but it’s a hardcore gym with lots of equipment, and it’s open 24 hours!!!

I would actually recommend a couple of “touristy” things…

First, you should go to the top of the Empire State building, and spend some time up there. It’s now the tallest building in NYC and the view is totally amazing. I try and urge all my guests to do it, so I can tag along! It’s about 6 bucks, and you should expect to stand in line about 20 minutes or so, (depending on whether it’s a weekend or not, it can get busier.) The observation deck is open from like 8 am to midnight. Totally worth waiting in line for, in my opinion.

I also recommend you shell out some bucks for a double-decker bus tour, and ride on top. Also a great view of the city, from a vantage point you simply can’t get as a pedestrian or in a cab. To do the whole “circuit” takes about an hour, and you will see basically all the main drags from midtown to lower Manhattan. The best thing is your ticket is an all-day pass (ask and make sure) or you can buy a “weekend” pass, and you can get off the bus at various points of interest, walk around, and hop on the next bus that comes by that drop-off point. Busses come around every 15 minutes and it’s a great way to see the city, even if you’ve been here before. You can really get a sense of how the different neighborhoods are connected, etc. Prices are a little steep, maybe 30 bucks (?) but it’s an all day ticket. You’d pay more to take trhe same trip by cab one time. The tour guide I had was only okay, but you will get “some” info. If it’s nice out I highly recommend it. You can pick up a bus outside the Empire State building. I used to sneer a little bit as the double-decker busses went by. Then I rode one with some out-of-town friends, and I was sold. I’ve lived here for 5 years and I still enjoyed seeing the city from up high.

Then you should take the Staten Island Ferry. The tour bus does drop off by there, as well as regular public transportation (lower Manhattan). The ferry is free if you don’t get off in Staten Island, and return back to Manhattan. You’ll go past the Statue of Liberty, and the view approaching lower Manhattan as you return is really worth it. It looks like the island is crammed full of skyscrapers as you approach (which it is). Avoid rush hour (4-7 on Friday evening) if possible… if not, no big deal, and if weather permits, sit along the right hand side on the way there, to see the statue best, and at the “front” of the boat as you get close to Manhattan again.

If you give some idea of specific things you’re interested in, I can direct you towards specialty stores, events, etc.

Have a blast!