Bitches, Gripes, Complaints and Plateaus

Hey all, first I want to say that 5/3/1 is an absolutely amazing program that I have seen great gains on, and have no plans on abandoning it for a long time. Thank you, Jim, for the great program.

Why I made this post is I’m going to share some of my frustrations regarding recent plateaus, but more importantly where I think that I have gone wrong in my programming, so that I can hear what you guys have to say. And maybe some young buck can read this and learn, as well.

About me: I am 19, and had just busted through the 160 pounds barrier, but due to recent changes am around 153, but increasing (I’ll elaborate). I go to Texas A&M University and am a Sophomore in the Corps of Cadets (The weight loss). I’ve been lifting for 4 years, with about a year long break when I was a freshman last year, and have been strength training since roughly the end of that break last year.

How I got into weights: My dad introduced me to weights after I would constantly pester him to sign us up for a gym and unfortunately his approach was the typical bro-split get-a-pump type workouts. Due to this, I was never introduced to the squat or deadlift, but had to introduce myself to them through this site, years later.

My 5/3/1 experience up until 1/14/14 (when I came back to college): Due to financial reasons, after finishing my spring '13 semester I could not return for my Fall '13 semester, so I focused on two things: work and weights. This allowed me to begin 5/3/1 with very little distractions, and an ability to focus on diet, rest, and recovery. Sadly the only gym my family could afford was planet fitness, so lower body lifts were done with dumbells… I know… So, I would do every lift at least twice a week with minimal assistance exercises (Rows, close grip Bench, pull ups, and face pulls were really it. I hate doing arms, generally). Now something that I wouldn’t do is deload. In my mind I was 19 years old, I piss vinegar and crap thunder and was feeling great. Now in this period my training max for the bench press went from 170-245 pounds, with no apparent slow down in progress, until the 245 mark. During this time I would sporadically use Jokers after reading about them on here, but it was really up to how I was feeling any given day.

(since then I purchased beyond 531. Before I had only read 531 for powerlifters. Both great books)

The 245 mark was about 1/1/14, so the time for me to return to school was quickly approaching. The hurdles I knew that would accompany me were the following: A lack of sleep due to the Corps, an increase in “useless” PT or working out due to the Corps, added stress and reduced time due to studies, and a change in diet. As soon as I got to school I introduced the squat and deadlift and have been working on form for those and am seeing nice consistent gains. Now for my bench press, my very first workout back at school I did 235 for a grinding triple. My most recent 1+ joker set, I grinded out 230 for one.

I have adjusted my training max accordingly having dropped it once around March, and again I dropped it to 205 last week. Today’s workout I did 205 for a difficult 5. Quite disappointing. Now this being said, my frequency has dropped to twice every ten days and I’ve introduced new lifts, on top of all of the other hurdles, so I’m taking this in stride and am going to trust the program. I am now consistently doing Jokers and FSL sets.

(This above was mainly the bitches and gripes section feel free to skip)

Where I believe I went wrong: Firstly, no deloads. They can’t hurt, might as well do them. Next, I became too focused on the Training max, and letting it reach 245 was way too close to my actual max at that time. Third, the jury is still out on doing 5/3/1 workouts 2 or even 3 times in a week, but I’m not sure, they may have helped. Lastly, is diet. I have been gaining weight back which is great, but I’m sure the first thing a reader will notice is my weight. It doesn’t help that I have twigs for legs (Think maxx chewning).

If any of you have had extended periods of just shitty training, feel free to share. I know Jim emphasizes that there will be bad workouts, bad weeks, and bad months, so I’ve just focused on surviving the drought through consistency. Think NOV :wink:

[quote]dubez wrote:

If any of you have had extended periods of just shitty training, feel free to share. I know Jim emphasizes that there will be bad workouts, bad weeks, and bad months, so I’ve just focused on surviving the drought through consistency. Think NOV ;)[/quote]

Dude, I’m 41 now a days. I’ve had more “set back time” than you’ve prolly even been lifting lol. Stuff happens, stuff WILL happen and you have the choice to use it to sharpen your gym skills, or dwell on it and let it mess you up. Don’t get bummed. It does nothing but slow you down. Know that progress waits for those who persevere.

Do you know how many battles in real life are simply for HOLDING your ground? The answer is, MANY. If perpetual ass kicking was the norm, this weight lifting shit wouldn’t be so rewarding. Easy come, easy go right?
I know this stuff can be rather frustrating, but this will be the last time you have a bitch session or we’ll pull your man card. lol Consider that some Big Iron brother advice :slight_smile:

Lastly. look over your training logs. You DO have one right? if not get one NOW. Look back at the stuff that works for you and the stuff that doesn’t. Shit can the fluff, if any, and carry on to greatness. On the training log. Many guys nerd it up BIG TIME. They can tell you exactly what weight was lifted, tempo, rest times, exact % of 1rms etc but come sleep time and food eaten it’s crickets. Make sure you are doing the right stuff OUT of the gym as you are in it.

ok that’s my suggestions, good luck and God bless.