T Nation

Biotest's Protein Powder

Can someone explain to me why this stuff is so cheap?

33 dollars for 1672 grams of protein is 50g per dollar.

The milk it is derived from gives you about 40g protein per dollar.

Somehow, it became cheaper following the costs of processing it into powder?

[quote]Gael wrote:
The milk it is derived from gives you about 40g protein per dollar.
[/quote]

How did you get this figure?

That’s because it’s from the future.

I used 3.50 per gallon and 130g protein per gallon. Even if milk varies from 3 dollars to 4 dollars per gallon, the ballpark is the same. And at some grocery stores it’s a good bit above 4 dollars per gallon.

Cheap? Which economy are you not getting fucked in?

[quote]Gael wrote:
I used 3.50 per gallon and 130g protein per gallon. Even if milk varies from 3 dollars to 4 dollars per gallon, the ballpark is the same. And at some grocery stores it’s a good bit above 4 dollars per gallon.[/quote]

I’m fairly certain Biotest doesn’t go to the grocery store to get milk to make supps. Wholesale versus retail. We are the end buyer in the grocery store as well as here.

[quote]Vash wrote:
Cheap? Which economy are you not getting fucked in?[/quote]

LMFAO!

Hey, you if took the average GNC shopper and showed them this website, they would think it was cheap too. Most the 5lbs jugs of whey at GNC are at least $50.

TC, Patterson and the boys have had access to a flux capacitor for a while now (installed in an old Pinto I believe). They actually obtain their raw materials from the 1950’s but utilize the processing technology from the 2050’s. Try to keep it under your hat though, wouldn’t want the M-Tech people finding out.

S

[quote]Gael wrote:
I used 3.50 per gallon and 130g protein per gallon. Even if milk varies from 3 dollars to 4 dollars per gallon, the ballpark is the same. And at some grocery stores it’s a good bit above 4 dollars per gallon.[/quote]

I suspect Biotest does not buy milk to make whey powder. Whey is a by-product of other dairy products that likely have a greater value so the various products that are extracted from a gallon of milk probably sell for much more than a gallon of milk.

I’m actually going to try Biotest protein. I’ve used many of the other supplements, but always found whey locally cheaper. This has changed since whey prices have increase in the last year or so. My local Sam’s club no longer carries the 6 lb bag of EAS for 30 bucks, the King Soopers Body Fortress price for a 2lber is now $20 and now that Biotest has the free shipping the 5lb Grow is a good deal.

The problem I have is I always have to add something to the order. I really wish I could afford Metabolic Drive and Metabolic Drive Complete, but that is what I have to look forward to in the future. As long as protein doesn’t exponentially increase in price. If thats the case I may have to go BCAAs all the way.

I assume the OP was talking about Grow!, how does it compare to the average run of the mill whey proteins out there? What was nice about the EAS was it stated exactly how many BCAAs per scoop, about 5.6g per scoop, it doesn’t look like that information is available with Grow!.

First, Zap is right, whey is a byproduct of the dairy industry, nobody is buying milk to make it. Which is probably why whey protein prices aren’t rising as fast as some other foods.

When you buy Biotest you buy direct from the manufacturer. You’re not paying for a middleman or two. Biotest also does very little print advertising, which probably saves them a ton of money over companies with eight-page spreads in every exercise magazine.

I assume the OP was talking about Grow!, how does it compare to the average run of the mill whey proteins out there?

It tastes better, it’s easier on my stomach, and the weird acne on my shoulders went away (which means now I have to figure out what protein source I was using gives me acne!). It also has one of the shorter ingredients lists I’ve seen, which is usually a good sign that it’s not being adulterated with stuff I can’t pronounce.

Because Biotest loves us.

[quote]mtd25 wrote:

I assume the OP was talking about Grow!, how does it compare to the average run of the mill whey proteins out there? What was nice about the EAS was it stated exactly how many BCAAs per scoop, about 5.6g per scoop, it doesn’t look like that information is available with Grow!.[/quote]

I was wondering that also, does the Grow! Whey have any BCAA’s in it? I need to get some more whey asap and was going to check out the Grow!.

A quick check at the end of the product thread and the mod answered that all quality whey has BCAAs but its silly to list how much?

dreads989 wrote:
what’s the BCAA breakdown on this whey protein? Are there glutamine precursors included?

“Grow! Premium Quality Whey has the standard BCAA composition of high-quality whey. We don’t list them seperately like some companies because it’s plain silly. All whey has BCAAs.”

To me taste and mixability are great, but subjective, BCAA content should be known, since the cheap brand body fortress stated how much BCAAs were in there product.

Maybe Biotest doesn’t know, or could at least let us know what this standard is in each scoop, 4g, 5g, 2g?

Whey is a by product of cheese making. They can either sell it off or throw it away. Think Little Miss Moffett…curds and whey, aka cottage cheese and whey…delicious and nutritious.

Whey protein is a rich source of BCAAs, containing the highest known levels of any natural food source. Most of the companies don’t add extra in, they just put what naturally occurs. The other possibility is that they could be lying. The supp industry is has very few checks and balances and is notoriously corrupt.

On a side note, all the Biotest supps I have ever used, including the proteins, feel better once ingested than others. Also since there is no flavour in Grow! that keeps the price down (and they did recently raise is a few dollars).

Grow is primarily whey concentrate…so they can charge less for it. Some other brands 1st ingredient is isolate, thus they cost more.

I’ll vouch for Biotest Protein. There is a slight oatmealy flavor to Grow but I don’t do shakes for eating enjoyment. That is what the outdoor and indoor grill are for.

[quote]mtd25 wrote:

The problem I have is I always have to add something to the order.[/quote]

And that, in part, is why it can be “so cheap”, comparatively at least. If you inevitably buy two items when you only intended on buying one, Biotests revenue increases, Given that the price of Grow! has not increased very much while some of the other supplements have, I would suspect they are selling Grow! with a very narrow profit margin, however, since they know most people won’t only buy “Grow!” when they visit the store, and since they have better profit margins on other products. They are able to support that.

Or maybe not, just a theory.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
TC, Patterson and the boys have had access to a flux capacitor for a while now (installed in an old Pinto I believe). They actually obtain their raw materials from the 1950’s but utilize the processing technology from the 2050’s. Try to keep it under your hat though, wouldn’t want the M-Tech people finding out.

S
[/quote]

Get them while they are hot…

[quote]supabeast wrote:
When you buy Biotest you buy direct from the manufacturer. You’re not paying for a middleman or two.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Biotest isn’t the manufacturer. I would be very surprised if they didn’t have a copacker for most their products. This isn’t a bad thing though. A copacker can save them lots of money because they don’t have to make the huge investment in capitol and manpower. Their prices are pretty good, especially with Grow, so, apparently they pass the savings on.