Biotest ZMA versus Other Brands?

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Repeat…any ZMA that uses the SNAC formulation is identical to any other ZMA that uses this formulation.[/quote]

Not quite true.

While they may use some of the same raw materials, the actual formulations can be, and are, quite different.

[quote]yerba wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

Repeat…any ZMA that uses the SNAC formulation is identical to any other ZMA that uses this formulation. Biotest is one company that uses this high-quality formulation.

Yes, I know, but GNC gets around this by labeling it “Zinc Magnesium Asparate” instead of ZMA. Hops and velarian root are added to this formulation. The point being that there are "ZMA"s floating around that really aren’t the SNAC formulation. Just look at the ingredient labels to be sure. [/quote]

I wasn’t specifically referring to GNC. Does it claim to be the SNAC formulation? It’s not.

Read the nutritional label on the back. The more compounds ending in “ate” than “ide”, the better. Don’t take it with dairy either- the calcium messes up the absorbtion.

[quote]scorpinaut wrote:
I am currently using GNC brand ZMA, although i have used T-Nation’s brand in the past. Maybe i got a bad batch or something, but my ZMA smells like shit…like actual shit. I didn’t detect any difference in “feel” or effect but the fact that T-Nation’s doesn’t smell like ‘goose shit’ is a big plus.[/quote]

GNC’s brand, in addition to not being the SNAC formulation, contains Valerian Root.

Anyone who’s tried Valerian on its own knows it smells ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

ZMA definitely makes me have strange dreams, something I enjoy, actually. Last night’s included my cousin in a thong and my grandmother eating paper towels, before my family turned on me and apparently tried to murder me. I’m not entirely sure why.

I think I prefer my dreams without relatives in them.

ZMA is cheap. Buy it from Biotest for a few bucks more, and say thanks for kicking ass in a very general way.

[quote]scorpinaut wrote:
I am currently using GNC brand ZMA, although i have used T-Nation’s brand in the past. Maybe i got a bad batch or something, but my ZMA smells like shit…like actual shit. I didn’t detect any difference in “feel” or effect but the fact that T-Nation’s doesn’t smell like ‘goose shit’ is a big plus.[/quote]

GNC’s always makes me throw up every single serving. i recently got the Biotest brand and no more ill feeling after i take it plus i have more dreams. bad thing is im breaking out like crazy too…

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Anyone who’s tried Valerian on its own knows it smells ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.[/quote]

Let’s call it something like soggy Cheetos that got buried inside your gym bag for a few months.

Everyplace I have found ZMA, it is more expensive then here at Biotest, so, that would be my reasoning.

[quote]varouet wrote:
I hate to rain on the parade here, but studies show ZMA supplementation has no effect on strength or mass gains.

There’s already a thread that discussed this:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2168506

If you’re going to take ZMA take it for its sleep-inducing side effects. I suppose you could also just buy it to support Biotest if you’re really that hardcore.[/quote]

ZMA does’nt “induce” sleep, it improves the quality of it. This will improve your recovery rate and theoretically should improve gains.

I guess this is one of those situations where theoreticals are’nt good enough. Even though it might not increase gains, the added restfullness would still justify using it.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
Everyplace I have found ZMA, it is more expensive then here at Biotest, so, that would be my reasoning.[/quote]

Haven’t looked to hard have ya?

When do you guys take it? I know you’re not supposed to take it with calcuim but I have a casein shake or cottage cheese before bed…so should I take it about an hour before bed then?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Classifying ZMA as a mass-gainer is like trying to call Superfood a mass-gainer. That’s not really their purpose directly, but if deficient in one of the ingredients it can indirectly lead to improvements in mass[/quote]

I should amend what I said. What I intended to refer to was the advertisements (such as Biotest’s own) that state ZMA is meant to increase anabolic hormone levels and provide strength gains. There’s no evidence that ZMA does this in any direct fashion.

However, you do make a good point in that it may indirectly do so. Assuming one does not have a zinc deficiency for whatever reason. Would there be any benefit of taking ZMA? Also, does anyone know the percentage of the general population with a zinc deficiency?