Biotest ZMA versus Other Brands?

So I’ve found cheaper ZMA in other places… is there any merit to sticking with Biotest ZMA over the other brands?

At this point it’s really just to support the company. But why would I go for a months serving for 15 bucks when I can get a two month supply for 18 bucks?

All ZMA should use the SNAC system.

you do know this is a T-Nation product right?

why would you ask a question, then answer it yourself…instead of thinking price, maybe you should think more along the lines of quality and results and choose which one delivers

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

It is a Victor Conte product and he licenses it to a number of manufacturers.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

It is a Victor Conte product and he licenses it to a number of manufacturers. [/quote]

yeah, I’m sure he has great ethics, lol.

For something like ZMA, as long as you’re buying from a reputable company, you should be fine.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
why would you ask a question, then answer it yourself…instead of thinking price, maybe you should think more along the lines of quality and results and choose which one delivers[/quote]

Well I’m kind of asking about differences in quality here… that’s the purpose of the thread. I’m looking to see if anyone has noticed a clear difference in quality between Biotest brand ZMA and other brands.

I hate to rain on the parade here, but studies show ZMA supplementation has no effect on strength or mass gains.

There’s already a thread that discussed this:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2168506

If you’re going to take ZMA take it for its sleep-inducing side effects. I suppose you could also just buy it to support Biotest if you’re really that hardcore.

Good thread. Personally i don’t use it for strength gains or test boost etc… because I thought the initial study was questionable. However, ZMAs have given me better sleep, greater dream recollection (really cool), and a great immune system. In all seriousness, I haven’t gotten a cold since I started taking ZMA back in March. I love the stuff. But yeah strength gains? Perhaps only as an affect of better sleep = better recovery.

[quote]FutureGL wrote:
All2ez wrote:
why would you ask a question, then answer it yourself…instead of thinking price, maybe you should think more along the lines of quality and results and choose which one delivers

Well I’m kind of asking about differences in quality here… that’s the purpose of the thread. I’m looking to see if anyone has noticed a clear difference in quality between Biotest brand ZMA and other brands.[/quote]

I doubt you’re going to get an honest response on this board regarding Biotest supplements vs. whatever other brand you’re considering. Its like walking into McDonalds and asking the customers if the whopper is a better product.

I am currently using GNC brand ZMA, although i have used T-Nation’s brand in the past. Maybe i got a bad batch or something, but my ZMA smells like shit…like actual shit. I didn’t detect any difference in “feel” or effect but the fact that T-Nation’s doesn’t smell like ‘goose shit’ is a big plus.

[quote]varouet wrote:
I hate to rain on the parade here, but studies show ZMA supplementation has no effect on strength or mass gains.

There’s already a thread that discussed this:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2168506

If you’re going to take ZMA take it for its sleep-inducing side effects. I suppose you could also just buy it to support Biotest if you’re really that hardcore.[/quote]

yeah, because a study is a definitive source.

Most hard training individuals will be deficient in zinc, which you will see benefits from supplementation

[quote]scorpinaut wrote:
I am currently using GNC brand ZMA, although i have used T-Nation’s brand in the past. Maybe i got a bad batch or something, but my ZMA smells like shit…like actual shit. I didn’t detect any difference in “feel” or effect but the fact that T-Nation’s doesn’t smell like ‘goose shit’ is a big plus.[/quote]

Wow, same thing here. I didn’t get GNC’s brand, but Vitamin Shoppe’s, and it STINKS. I did a quick google check on it, and it seems like this is fairly common with the GNC brand (which, I think, strays from the common ZMA formulation. A different type of magnesium is used, plus some extras are added).

[quote]yerba wrote:
scorpinaut wrote:
I am currently using GNC brand ZMA, although i have used T-Nation’s brand in the past. Maybe i got a bad batch or something, but my ZMA smells like shit…like actual shit. I didn’t detect any difference in “feel” or effect but the fact that T-Nation’s doesn’t smell like ‘goose shit’ is a big plus.

Wow, same thing here. I didn’t get GNC’s brand, but Vitamin Shoppe’s, and it STINKS. I did a quick google check on it, and it seems like this is fairly common with the GNC brand (which, I think, strays from the common ZMA formulation. A different type of magnesium is used, plus some extras are added). [/quote]

Repeat…any ZMA that uses the SNAC formulation is identical to any other ZMA that uses this formulation. Biotest is one company that uses this high-quality formulation.

I use Vitamin World brand. The price is right and it doesnt zmell like shit.

-M

GNC brand has some extra B vitamins and such, and smells absolutely terrible. In fact, if I take it on an empty stomach (like suggested) it leads to projectile vomiting.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

Most hard training individuals will be deficient in zinc, which you will see benefits from supplementation[/quote]

I didn’t say studies were definitive sources, but they shouldn’t be dismissed either. This study in particular was done with better procedure than the one that originally perpetuated the idea of ZMA being a god supplement. Does that mean that ZMA is worthless? No. However, the fact that ZMA does not have clinical evidence to support its weight as a mass gainer still stand. No pun intended.

As aforementioned if ZMA works for the individual then it boils down to a matter of price as most formulas as identical.

[quote]varouet wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Most hard training individuals will be deficient in zinc, which you will see benefits from supplementation

I didn’t say studies were definitive sources, but they shouldn’t be dismissed either. This study in particular was done with better procedure than the one that originally perpetuated the idea of ZMA being a god supplement. Does that mean that ZMA is worthless? No. However, the fact that ZMA does not have clinical evidence to support its weight as a mass gainer still stand. No pun intended.
[/quote]

I’ve never seen ZMA promoted as a “mass gainer” by any reputable company.

That doesn’t mean that it isn’t effective for what it’s intended to do.

[quote]varouet wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

As aforementioned if ZMA works for the individual then it boils down to a matter of price as most formulas as identical.[/quote]

Classifying ZMA as a mass-gainer is like trying to call Superfood a mass-gainer. That’s not really their purpose directly, but if deficient in one of the ingredients it can indirectly lead to improvements in mass

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

Repeat…any ZMA that uses the SNAC formulation is identical to any other ZMA that uses this formulation. Biotest is one company that uses this high-quality formulation.[/quote]

Yes, I know, but GNC gets around this by labeling it “Zinc Magnesium Asparate” instead of ZMA. Hops and velarian root are added to this formulation. The point being that there are "ZMA"s floating around that really aren’t the SNAC formulation. Just look at the ingredient labels to be sure.