T Nation

Biotest Surge = Gluten Free?

Hey y’all…I am a new member to the T-Nation forum and after doing a search on both the forums and the net I was unable to find any information regarding this issue. I have a fairly rare genetic disease called Non-tropical Sprue which results in the malabsorption of gluten, which is contained in grains like wheat, rye, barley, bulgur, durum, and a host of other sources that are produced with these products. Consumption of anything containing gluten renders me unable to absorb nutrients through my small intestine.

Anyways, I’ve lived with it basically my entire life; I’m now 28, and a federal law enforcement agent with the Dept. of Homeland Security. I’m in very good shape, an avid runner, and I’ll soon be up for inclusion in one of the Special Response Teams for my section.

I’m looking to up my training regimen, and after reading Dr. J.B.'s nutrient timing article, I’d like to begin taking Biotest Surge. However, I haven’t been able to find any conclusive info stating that Biotest Surge is gluten-free. A little help from some admins or anyone with concrete information would be greatly appreciated and I thank you ahead of time.

is that like celiac disease?

Non-tropical sprue is another name for celiac disease, which is actually called Celiac Sprue.

From the allergen warning on the bottle I have (yes, I know that celiac disease isn’t an allergy, but it’s still relevant): “Produced in a facility that processes. . . . wheat.”

The supplement facts for the current formulation states: “ALLERGEN WARNING: Contains milk, soy, tree nuts (hazelnut) and wheat ingredients.”

Thanks for the info Marza. It’s not what I wanted to hear, but it answers my question.

[quote]marza wrote:
From the allergen warning on the bottle I have (yes, I know that celiac disease isn’t an allergy, but it’s still relevant): “Produced in a facility that processes. . . . wheat.”

The supplement facts for the current formulation states: “ALLERGEN WARNING: Contains milk, soy, tree nuts (hazelnut) and wheat ingredients.”

[/quote]

None of that means anything. Almost every god damn product on the shelves today carry the same warning. The only products that are truly Gluten free are ones who are processed in an isolated setup in the factory, or at an isolated factory. I bet less than half of the so-called Gluten free products are really even 100% Gluten free.

Sinuous,
I have a mild form of Celiac (more of what they labeled as gluten intolerant vs. full-blown Celiac). Anyways, Surge does not bother me one bit. I love it. And by the way, Metabolic Drive is also the only protein drink that doesn’t bother me. I don’t respond to the bars too well, but the other stuff = no ill effects. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Mike

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
marza wrote:

None of that means anything. Almost every god damn product on the shelves today carry the same warning. The only products that are truly Gluten free are ones who are processed in an isolated setup in the factory, or at an isolated factory. I bet less than half of the so-called Gluten free products are really even 100% Gluten free.[/quote]

Well, the OP’s question was whether or not Surge was gluten-free. The manufacturer says wheat is an ingrediant, so my answer is, no, it’s not gluten free.

I understand what you’re saying - pretty much all processed foods and many supplements carry risks of some contamination for people with food intolerances and I agree that’s a really unfortunate situation. And, I suspect that many manufacturers put in the “processed in a facility” warning as a CYA, whether they think there is a real possibility of contamination or not.

However, where the manufacturer actually, explicitly says the product contains the trigger substance, then I’d say it probably does. What the OP does with that information depends on how extreme his sensitivity is and how risk averse he is.

[quote]marza wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
marza wrote:

None of that means anything. Almost every god damn product on the shelves today carry the same warning. The only products that are truly Gluten free are ones who are processed in an isolated setup in the factory, or at an isolated factory. I bet less than half of the so-called Gluten free products are really even 100% Gluten free.

Well, the OP’s question was whether or not Surge was gluten-free. The manufacturer says wheat is an ingrediant, so my answer is, no, it’s not gluten free.

I understand what you’re saying - pretty much all processed foods and many supplements carry risks of some contamination for people with food intolerances and I agree that’s a really unfortunate situation. And, I suspect that many manufacturers put in the “processed in a facility” warning as a CYA, whether they think there is a real possibility of contamination or not.

However, where the manufacturer actually, explicitly says the product contains the trigger substance, then I’d say it probably does. What the OP does with that information depends on how extreme his sensitivity is and how risk averse he is. [/quote]

It’s also been discussed numerous times that it actually does not contain wheat or soy or goddamn hazelnuts. They don’t put it on their as a CYA- they do it because they have to.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
It’s also been discussed numerous times that it actually does not contain wheat or soy or goddamn hazelnuts. They don’t put it on their as a CYA- they do it because they have to.[/quote]

If that’s the case, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do what 95% of other manufacturers do and simply state “May contain traces of soy, wheat, and hazelnuts.” Stating that the allergen in question is, in fact, an ingredient is incredibly misleading given your proposed scenario. Traces I can deal with, but ingredients I would never chance.

Thanks everyone for your information and advice.

[quote]marza wrote:

[/quote]

The allergen warning on Surge Recovery Raspberry states: Contains milk ingredients.

You should see the same or similar warning on Surge Recovery Original Flavor soon.

[quote]Sinuous wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
It’s also been discussed numerous times that it actually does not contain wheat or soy or goddamn hazelnuts. They don’t put it on their as a CYA- they do it because they have to.

If that’s the case, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do what 95% of other manufacturers do and simply state “May contain traces of soy, wheat, and hazelnuts.” Stating that the allergen in question is, in fact, an ingredient is incredibly misleading given your proposed scenario. Traces I can deal with, but ingredients I would never chance.

Thanks everyone for your information and advice.

[/quote]

That’s a good question. I don’t know why they don’t do that. I’m sure they have a good reason or the FDA is just being pricks because they don’t really like the supplement industry anyway.

Surge does not list wheat or gluten as an ingredient. I have a mild to severe case of Celiacs and use Surge without incident.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to order a tub and find out for yourself if it gives you trouble. With Biotest’s money-back guarantee, you could probably return it if you start “blowing the bottom out” (you know what I’m talking about) after using Surge.

Nevermind about the possibility of a money-back guarantee. I just remembered that Surge is now technically a “Metabolic Drive product” and hence is not subject to the normal return policy. Still, it is only $30 down the tube if Surge makes you blow the bottom out. I say go for it.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
marza wrote:

The allergen warning on Surge Recovery Raspberry states: Contains milk ingredients.

You should see the same or similar warning on Surge Recovery Original Flavor soon.[/quote]

Are you saying that the allergen warning was in error and is being corrected Moderator? If so, I’ll head on over to the store and pick some up right now, pending your confirmation.

Looking for a Moderator response. The issue is time-dependent.

Expanding on the topic of this old thread, do any Biotest products besides the Metabolic Drive Complete and bars contain gluten?