Biotest Supplements Post Surgery

Hey, Iâ??ll be going under the knife to get ACL reconstruction in December. In the meantime, Iâ??m trying to get in as good as shape as possible so I bounce back faster. Regarding surgery, I was wondering if anyone out there used any supplements that may have contributed to a speedier than normal recovery. Metabolic Drive shakes, Flameout, Creatine, etc. was what I had in mind. Iâ??m not looking a for miracle but if this will help shave some time off my convalescence than Iâ??m all ears.

WG

Curcumin 500, iboprofen, Flameout for recovery after the surgery.

no to creatine, but try some Surge after your really tough workouts and you’ll build some mass.

I just got done with my surgery recovery and I used Curcumin 500, Flameout and Superfood

first two weeks-
Flameout 4 pills 2x a day lunch and dinner
Superfood- 2 scoops 2x a day bkfst and dinner
Curcumin 500 2 pills 2x a day bkfst and dinner

third week-
Flameout same dosage
Superfood 2 scopps in the morning
Curcumin 500 1 in the morn, one in the night

never touched an NSAID or opioid (i was prescribed 2xstrength vicodin)

One key: cut out everything 2 weeks before surgery.

[quote]byukid wrote:
I just got done with my surgery recovery and I used Curcumin 500, Flameout and Superfood

first two weeks-
Flameout 4 pills 2x a day lunch and dinner
Superfood- 2 scoops 2x a day bkfst and dinner
Curcumin 500 2 pills 2x a day bkfst and dinner

third week-
Flameout same dosage
Superfood 2 scopps in the morning
Curcumin 500 1 in the morn, one in the night

never touched an NSAID or opioid (i was prescribed 2xstrength vicodin)

One key: cut out everything 2 weeks before surgery. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have ACL surgery?

Cut what out 2 weeks prior to surgery?

Fish oil, because it inhibits blood clotting.

[quote]Schlenkatank wrote:
Curcumin 500, iboprofen, Flameout for recovery after the surgery.

no to creatine, but try some Surge after your really tough workouts and you’ll build some mass.[/quote]

I’m not sure I would recommend ibuprofen with Curcumin 500 because of the potential interaction between piperine and ibuprofen. I think I recall reading some studies showing that ibuprofen’s mechanism of action is blocked by piperine. The Curcumin 500 and Flameout might possibly be enough anyways, as other posters have reported.

I think it’s safe to say that Curcumin 500 and Flameout are winners, and Superfood wouldn’t hurt because you often don’t get proper nutrition after a surgery. About Curcumin 500 and ibuprofen – I don’t know if that’s a good idea because ibuprofen generally isn’t considered a good post-operative pain killer. It’s hard on the stomach and has asprin-like tendencies to lower clotting at the surgery site…which is why hydrocodone and tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol is the most common post-op pain killer for outpatients as opposed to any NSAIDs (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs, including aspirin, naproxin, ibuprofen, or ketoralac).

But given the apparent anti-inflammatory effects of fish oil (like Flameout) and pain blocking effects of Curcumin 500 make both good candidates. All evidence so far is that both supplements are very good for you on many levels, they may assist in reducing post-operative inflammation, and I’ve seen nothing that would indicate that they shouldn’t be used post-op.

[quote]LHT wrote:
I think it’s safe to say that Curcumin 500 and Flameout are winners, and Superfood wouldn’t hurt because you often don’t get proper nutrition after a surgery. About Curcumin 500 and ibuprofen – I don’t know if that’s a good idea because ibuprofen generally isn’t considered a good post-operative pain killer. It’s hard on the stomach and has asprin-like tendencies to lower clotting at the surgery site…which is why hydrocodone and tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol is the most common post-op pain killer for outpatients as opposed to any NSAIDs (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs, including aspirin, naproxin, ibuprofen, or ketoralac).

But given the apparent anti-inflammatory effects of fish oil (like Flameout) and pain blocking effects of Curcumin 500 make both good candidates. All evidence so far is that both supplements are very good for you on many levels, they may assist in reducing post-operative inflammation, and I’ve seen nothing that would indicate that they shouldn’t be used post-op. [/quote]

That is because you have not even read all posts in this thread.

You think ibuprofen is not a good idea when it inhibits blood clotting and yet you think fishoil might be good when it does the same?

Actually, I did read all the post and all its replies, and one of the reasons I opted to make my own contribution to the thread was to counter misinformation on fish oil. Every doctor I’ve known has said to avoid NSAIDs, and I have yet to find one that has said ‘avoid omega-3’s/fish oil.’

And in case you were going to ask, yes I have gone out of my way to both ask practicing physicians about this matter as well as read any med journal article I could find on the topic, both because I like to be informed on something that’s part of my daily diet and out of general curiosity on health matters.

Read any study on fish oil…it doesn’t inhibit clotting to anywhere near the degree of NSAIDs. Unless you’re a hemophiliac, some small degree of anti-coagulation of the blood is a good idea because having a clot form then break off into some critical system (such as a pulmonary embolism) is one of the more common post-surgery causes of morbidity and mortality. Omega-3’s are not the same as ibuprofen, and offer plenty of recovery benefits.

You don’t want extreme platelet aggregation after surgery – clot formations is one of the main causes of post-surgical death, and this risk increases exponentially as people age. This plus the inflammation reduction weigh heavily in favor of omega-3 supplementation before and after a surgery. Yes you don’t want the extreme anti-coagulating effects of NSAIDs, but comparing the relative effects of the NSAIDs and fish oil is like comparing a summer drizzle to a monsoon.

Of course, I’m amenable to new information, and not too proud to be proven wrong. Feel free to cite any studies that indicate omega-3’s are a significant risk factor in surgery.

example sources –
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=203&catid=1
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=410&RETURN=/searchlist.php?howsearch=site&keyword=blood+clot&Submit=Search&return=
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=954&RETURN=/searchlist.php?howsearch=site&keyword=blood+clot&Submit=Search&return=

[quote]LHT wrote:
Actually, I did read all the post and all its replies, and one of the reasons I opted to make my own contribution to the thread was to counter misinformation on fish oil. Every doctor I’ve known has said to avoid NSAIDs, and I have yet to find one that has said ‘avoid omega-3’s/fish oil.’

And in case you were going to ask, yes I have gone out of my way to both ask practicing physicians about this matter as well as read any med journal article I could find on the topic, both because I like to be informed on something that’s part of my daily diet and out of general curiosity on health matters.

Read any study on fish oil…it doesn’t inhibit clotting to anywhere near the degree of NSAIDs. Unless you’re a hemophiliac, some small degree of anti-coagulation of the blood is a good idea because having a clot form then break off into some critical system (such as a pulmonary embolism) is one of the more common post-surgery causes of morbidity and mortality. Omega-3’s are not the same as ibuprofen, and offer plenty of recovery benefits.

You don’t want extreme platelet aggregation after surgery – clot formations is one of the main causes of post-surgical death, and this risk increases exponentially as people age. This plus the inflammation reduction weigh heavily in favor of omega-3 supplementation before and after a surgery. Yes you don’t want the extreme anti-coagulating effects of NSAIDs, but comparing the relative effects of the NSAIDs and fish oil is like comparing a summer drizzle to a monsoon.

Of course, I’m amenable to new information, and not too proud to be proven wrong. Feel free to cite any studies that indicate omega-3’s are a significant risk factor in surgery.

example sources –
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=203&catid=1
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=410&RETURN=/searchlist.php?howsearch=site&keyword=blood+clot&Submit=Search&return=
http://www.omega-research.com/researchview.php?ID=954&RETURN=/searchlist.php?howsearch=site&keyword=blood+clot&Submit=Search&return=
[/quote]

That is not a theoretical discussion.

Surgeons usually ask you not to take them and then, in real life, while you are under anesthesia, take a very sharp knife and cut you open.

I do not know about you, but when my surgeon expects me do to something before he takes a knife to me I do it.

Because there are situations when I do not trust my interwebz study skills but the one who is doing the job and who does not want to live with any interesting complications in the midst of surgery.

So, to the OP, ask your surgeon and go with his advice.