T Nation

Biotest BCAA Powder?

Any plans for Biotest to come out with a BCAA Powder? Capsules could really be a pain to take if your looking at putting in 40 grams + of BCAA a day.

I’m pretty sure this has been covered before:

BCAA’s taste horrid. Want proof? Chew a tablet, not very pleasant. Caps make it easy.

Didn’t someone already do a price comparison as well?

BCAA Powder is much much cheaper. Case in point. Do some research on different bcaa products out there. 50 or so bucks for 90+ servings of 10 grams of BCAA per serving is not bad at all. Much cheaper than pills. I use Extend by scivation, JB says to use ICE By Xtreme formulations.

[quote]Houshin Akai wrote:

BCAA’s taste horrid. Want proof? Chew a tablet, not very pleasant. Caps make it easy.
[/quote]

Also, I dont care about taste. I care about results. most are flavored anyways. Its almost like saying Squats make my muscles hurt so I’ll do leg presses instead.

Never thought it was cheaper. Just stated the price comparison has been done.

Try the product thread, this was brought up in it as well.

I will do the math for you friend.

BCAA Capsules : 3.6 Grams BCAA per serving total. 84 servings per container. 27.99 per bottle. 302.4 grams total BCAA per bottle

BCAA Powders : 9.5 BCAA Per serving total. 90 Servings total per container. 50.00 dollars per bottle. 855 grams total BCAA per bottle.

Now again friend, which is cheaper?

Listen, I’m not arguing about what’s better for what you want. I’m trying to factually state it’s been covered before. Go read the product thread. Here is the two posts that hopefully answer any questions you have for Biotest.

Mod Brian
07/21/06
02:41 PM

Sure, we could offer BCAA in powder, but I doubt that we’ll do so because most people prefer the convenience of tablets.

As for being too bulky, our goal from the start was to pack as much BCAA as possible into each tablet, so they are big. However, there’s very little material other than BCAA in the tablets. Regardless, I routinely swallow 10 or more tablets at a time without a problem. The size of this many tablets is still quite small compared to a snack or meal that I don’t notice it in my stomach.

TC
06/27/06
09:51 AM

TheReasonSF3 wrote:
question- what makes this stuff better than the bulk bcaa powders that you find online?
there are right around 300 grams of BCAA’s in a bottle of Biotest BCAA.

I found 1000 grams bulk bcaa powder on a site for $40. please lol, give me a reason to buy Biotest’s insntead of the bulk powder, cause i hate bcaa’s in powder form and would love it in tablet form, but i don’t want to waste money.

I’d like to take a look at that bulk powder. It’s not that I don’t belive you (I do), but most bulk BCAA products really shortchange the customer on isoleucine.

Our BCAA doesn’t shortchange you on isoleucine. In fact, as we mentioned, we dupilcated the exact BCAA ratio found in human muscle.

Aside from that, I’d match the purity of our product against anybody’s.

I’m out, hope this answer’s your question. Oh, and someone in the product thread did show Biotest as 3x expensive… like I said, been done before.

[quote]iannotti wrote:
Also, I dont care about taste. I care about results. most are flavored anyways. Its almost like saying Squats make my muscles hurt so I’ll do leg presses instead.[/quote]

That’s a pretty stupid comparison and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

If you don’t like the tablets and want something cheaper go buy it somewhere else. It most likely won’t be as good of quality, as TC and Mod Brian have routinely pointed out (and copied in on of the previous posts), and not nearly as convenient.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
iannotti wrote:
Also, I dont care about taste. I care about results. most are flavored anyways. Its almost like saying Squats make my muscles hurt so I’ll do leg presses instead.

That’s a pretty stupid comparison and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

If you don’t like the tablets and want something cheaper go buy it somewhere else. It most likely won’t be as good of quality, as TC and Mod Brian have routinely pointed out (and copied in on of the previous posts), and not nearly as convenient.[/quote]

I don’t know about you, but who wants to swallow 30 pills a day for just BCAA? It is convenient at times, but when one needs to intake 40 grams a day, why would you take it in pill form? Not me brutha. And as far as my comparison? Its not far off. Its an analogy. If you know what that means, Im sure you can figure out the comparison.

You’d rather drink “flavored” ass than pop some pills?

I don’t get people who complain about taking pills. As if everything else we do is easy

[quote]iannotti wrote:
I don’t know about you, but who wants to swallow 30 pills a day for just BCAA? It is convenient at times, but when one needs to intake 40 grams a day, why would you take it in pill form? Not me brutha. And as far as my comparison? Its not far off. Its an analogy. If you know what that means, Im sure you can figure out the comparison.[/quote]

So if you are taking 40g of BCAA daily- you think it is the correct thing to take it all at once then? (It’s not) If you were to take it in throughout the day, what is the difference between taking 6 pills 5 times a day or mixing the powder up 5 times a day? If your response is to mix it in with a shake, then the only way this would work is if you’re on the V-diet.

I know what an analogy is- apparently you don’t. You are trying to say that your BCAA powder would be squats (more effective) and the tablets would be leg presses (less effective). The problem with your “analogy” is that the tablets are not less effective, whereas leg presses would be.

The only issue with the tablets is the quantity of pills you would need to take and the cost. Neither of which can be related to squats vs. leg presses. At this point I’m just being argumentative. I got your point originally, however it doesn’t negate the fact it was a bad “analogy.”

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
iannotti wrote:
I don’t know about you, but who wants to swallow 30 pills a day for just BCAA? It is convenient at times, but when one needs to intake 40 grams a day, why would you take it in pill form? Not me brutha. And as far as my comparison? Its not far off. Its an analogy. If you know what that means, Im sure you can figure out the comparison.

So if you are taking 40g of BCAA daily- you think it is the correct thing to take it all at once then? (It’s not) If you were to take it in throughout the day, what is the difference between taking 6 pills 5 times a day or mixing the powder up 5 times a day? If your response is to mix it in with a shake, then the only way this would work is if you’re on the V-diet.

I know what an analogy is- apparently you don’t. You are trying to say that your BCAA powder would be squats (more effective) and the tablets would be leg presses (less effective). The problem with your “analogy” is that the tablets are not less effective, whereas leg presses would be.

The only issue with the tablets is the quantity of pills you would need to take and the cost. Neither of which can be related to squats vs. leg presses. At this point I’m just being argumentative. I got your point originally, however it doesn’t negate the fact it was a bad “analogy.”[/quote]

I don’t like pills, the less the better. Only pills I take is Flameout and a Multi. Rest I like in powders at all possible…

I definitely think mixing the powder throughout the day is more of a pain than popping the pills.

Right now, on workout days I take 20 BCAA pills split between 5 different times (one of which is during my workout). Adding 2 more pills to each time I take them wouldn’t be any more difficult to me. I’ve swallowed 6 at a time before (when I forgot a serving and split the missed serving between 2 other times) and it was no big deal. If it was, I’d just take them with 2 gulps of water instead of 1.

Mixing the powder, for me, would be a pain due to all the dirty glasses, or having to wash the shaker bottle over and over every day (more than I already do with the protein shakes).

It’s all a matter of what you like better. The powder is cheaper, so I wish I did like it better, but the extra cost is worth the convenience of the pills IMO.

[quote]iannotti wrote:
I don’t like pills, the less the better. Only pills I take is Flameout and a Multi. Rest I like in powders at all possible…[/quote]

To each his own I guess. I just don’t like losing all the time involved in mixing and then cleaning up afterwards. Either way I would imagine Biotest will stay with the tablet form from what I’ve read.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
iannotti wrote:
I don’t like pills, the less the better. Only pills I take is Flameout and a Multi. Rest I like in powders at all possible…

To each his own I guess. I just don’t like losing all the time involved in mixing and then cleaning up afterwards. Either way I would imagine Biotest will stay with the tablet form from what I’ve read.[/quote]

:slight_smile: Wish they would make a powder. I used VPX BCAAex . Being an Ethyl Esther perhaps that may be why I didnt like the way it went in my stomach.

Just get the bulk powder somewhere else bro. If Biotest’s sales on BCAA’s start to hurt then maybe the’ll decide to offer bulk powder. BTW if you throw in some cystal lite or buy a flavoring system then the taste is fine.

Also the squat analogy makes perfect sense. Don’t be a pussy for the sake of convenience.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
Just get the bulk powder somewhere else bro. If Biotest’s sales on BCAA’s start to hurt then maybe the’ll decide to offer bulk powder. BTW if you throw in some cystal lite or buy a flavoring system then the taste is fine.

Also the squat analogy makes perfect sense. Don’t be a pussy for the sake of convenience.[/quote]

Thanks you someone understands it!

I use the pills for certain situations and the powder for others. The powder isn’t very soluble in water and tends to stick to the side of the glass. Also as mentioned it tastes like a 3 month old unrefrigerated corpse’s asshole if you get the plain unflavored stuff. I use it in certain drinks when I want to significantly bump up my quantity but in many situations it’s just inconvenient. The pills are ideal for in the car, middle of the night, and times when I want a smaller serving without the hassle of mixing.

You can mix a few scoops of the flavored/powdered BCAA drinks in a jug of water and sip it throughout the day. Scivation Xtend has a lemonade flavor that is great.