Biosignature - Supplements

Couldn’t think of a better title lol.

So I got my biosignature this morning. Beforehands, I had decided that no matter the results, I’d be bulking up some more before dieting. I was shocked to be at 18.ish, close to 19. Change of plans, I’m gonna start dieting next week. :smiley:

I’m starting to figure out a carb-free diet, but I’m wondering about supplement use because obviously it’s my first time attempting a fat burning diet. I’ve been using pre and post workout protein shakes forever, and would really like to keep that habit throughout my diet. Should I? I’ll make sure to use one with minimal sugar of course. Do you have suggestions for any brands? Is Metabolic Drive a good choice? Haven’t checked the macros for it yet.

I was also looking forward to try BCAA’s, Flameout and Superfood from Biotest. I’ve seen good feedback on the superfood and I know how BCAA’s and fishoil work, I’m just wondering how to incorporate them into my diet and obviously, if I should even include them.

I know I’ll be eating lots of green vegies and some fruits, and I’ll never substitute real veggies for a supplement, so should I just pass on Superfood?

I’m thinking BCAA’s will help me recover more efficiently since I won’t be counting on a carb-heavy diet, while providing the best amino acids. Is there any reason I should NOT use them while dieting?

And finally, do you have any other suggestions as far as supplements? I’m not interested in fat burners, always managed to meet my goals by working hard and eating well, I don’t want to use such a product.

Thank you all for your time

If you got a biosignature, didn’t they give you a program to follow to lose fat?

Or was that extra $?

It was extra $. Cost me 50$ for the test, and was like 30-40 for a program+diet. I don’t need anyone to design a program for me, and I can work a diet from info I get on this site and books I own. I’m not taking anything from the trainer who did my test, I just do everything I can on my own, I like to think it’s the best way to learn.
It’s mostly the supplements that I don’t know shit about, and would like to learn how to incorporate them into my diet.

I see.

However, if it was me, I’d fork over the extra $ for the program/diet since they know what exactly I need to do in order to lose fat and get my hormones in check.

Look at CT, his problem was his back fat (insulin resistance)despite looking really really lean, and he followed their high fish oil dosage protocol. He could have done that on his own with all the knowledge he possessed, but did followed their way anyway. Result? got down to 2.5% BF in two weeks.

Same with Damici and he tried to do it on his own but couldn’t get rid of his lower abs fat. (Coristol problem) He even went on a low-carb diet couple times before he found out from the test that he is carb tolerant! Couple weeks after following their way, he’s seeing results.

But to each his own. I guess.

You’re right actually. I’ll be calling him later today to schedule another meeting and I’ll pay for a diet. I love experimenting and I can accept failing and starting over but If I’m gonna pay for a biosignature I might as well make sure it works, don’t wanna waste time and money.

Thanks

Does anyone know of a trainer in the DC Metro Area I get with for this? Poliquin’s website has a trainer search that is not very helpful. Hard to believe I can’t find someone in DC, MD, or VA.

[quote]FatPixelStudios wrote:
Does anyone know of a trainer in the DC Metro Area I get get with for this? Poliquin’s website has a trainer search that is not very helpful. Hard to believe I can’t find someone in DC, MD, or VA.[/quote]

I had the same problem with Poliquin’s website when I tried to find someone in the SoCal area.

The website didn’t link any good emails or trainers.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
FatPixelStudios wrote:
Does anyone know of a trainer in the DC Metro Area I get get with for this? Poliquin’s website has a trainer search that is not very helpful. Hard to believe I can’t find someone in DC, MD, or VA.

I had the same problem with Poliquin’s website when I tried to find someone in the SoCal area.

[/quote]

What about the guy in Irvine I recommended you? he doesn’t do bio-sig?

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
FatPixelStudios wrote:
Does anyone know of a trainer in the DC Metro Area I get get with for this? Poliquin’s website has a trainer search that is not very helpful. Hard to believe I can’t find someone in DC, MD, or VA.

What about the guy in Irvine I recommended you? he doesn’t do bio-sig?[/quote]

I did look him up on the website and I did see Irvine listed but there was no phone number and the email address wasn’t a good one. My emails came back and there was no other way to contact the trainer, not even a name of the facility.

My emails to the Poliquin Center have gone unanswered.

I’m going to fall into the crowd of people trying to find out if there is a person or place where I can obtain a BioSignature Analysis as well.

Same as the others I checked Poliquin’s site, and even Googled BioSignature Modulation 35 different ways from Sunday…no luck though.

I’m in Tallahassee, FL but I’d be willing to take a reasonable drive if anyone happens to know of a place in these parts.

For those looking to find someone in your area:

Caroleen@charlespoliquin.com

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
FatPixelStudios wrote:

What about the guy in Irvine I recommended you? he doesn’t do bio-sig?

I did look him up on the website and I did see Irvine listed but there was no phone number and the email address wasn’t a good one. My emails came back and there was no other way to contact the trainer, not even a name of the facility.

My emails to the Poliquin Center have gone unanswered.

[/quote]

you should call Poliquin’s assistant and see if you can find one, I can’t believe there wouldn’t be one in Southern Cali. Or ask Thib in his locker room. Maybe he knows. If you find one though, PM me, because I will probably be using it, Southern Cali is closest to me.

If your going to do the Bio-Signature, its a really good idea to make sure you have you’re ZMA (add copper) and R-ALA in place. Poliquin is a stickler about his Insulin supplements and believe me, ALA is a fantastic supplement for your carb meals at the correct high(er) dosage.

Wow, only 50$ ?

What does R-ALA do?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
What does R-ALA do?[/quote]

R-ALA allows your body to increase insulin sensitivity without the release of insulin from your body. When taken in high doses (600mg to 1g) w/ your high carb meals, it shuttles the nutrients to the muscle rather than allow it to be stored as fat.

R-ALA is ALA without the S form, Regular ALA has both R and S forms which work against each other. R-ALA is the more powerfull version.

Did that help?

{Edit} Will PM a Link -

Yes, thank you.

So, can’t I achieve the same effect with high doses of BCAAs? I.e., aren’t BCAAs insulinemic, shuttling nutrients to your muscles without raising insulin?

Finally, why do I take R-ALA with carbs? I thought the idea was to mimic the effects of insulin without actually releasing insulin? Wouldn’t the carbs raise insulin?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Yes, thank you.

So, can’t I achieve the same effect with high doses of BCAAs? I.e., aren’t BCAAs insulinemic, shuttling nutrients to your muscles without raising insulin?

Finally, why do I take R-ALA with carbs? I thought the idea was to mimic the effects of insulin without actually releasing insulin? Wouldn’t the carbs raise insulin?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated![/quote]

ALA allows less insulin ( and in term’s less carbs) to do the work and allows better ( and more carbs) to be shuttled into your cells.

BCAA’s are on the opposite spectrum in terms of releasing insulin. They release insulin on their own by being an amino acid. In order for them to have an effect on your body, they should only be used to stabilize and create and anabolic/anti-catabolic environment during your workouts.

If you can’t take 20-40 grams of BCAA’s DURING your workout, its not really worth it, in my opinion and through the mouths of the guys that created the first marketable drinkable BCAA powder w/ glutamine.

i am just surprised that you got your biosig done with the sole intent of ignoring it and bulking more. Dont get me wrong, i think the biosig data can help you ditch the fat. (and i know your dieting now), but your hormonal profile is a dynamic thing, your signature pre bulk and your signature post bulk would be different things. It would of essentially been a waste of money. Especially at higher levels of bodyfat. Even dieting from 19% to 12% would be little different with the biosignature data.

Just my opinion.

Beatnik is right, should you follow the protocol you can add muscle while losing fat. Poliquin says that when nutrition and training are both in place, thats usually what happens. Through improved insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning, it is possible to add lean body mass while dropping fat.

Along with ALA, glutamine helps with restoring glycogen levels while not spiking your insulin, which is crucial during a fat loss phase if you are a bit on the fat size. You earn your carbs, so if you havent reached 10% bodyfat for men, you dont get many :frowning: