Biology of Race

Seems to me the study says that in obese post menopausal women diet changes over the course of 12 months (this is long term?) is 10x (-8.5% vs -.8%) as powerful as no diet and exercise, diet AND exercise is ~12x (-10.8% vs -.8%) as powerful as no diet and exercise.

Am I reading this wrong?

We found that a year-long lifestyle-change program, incorporating either combined or separate dietary weight loss or moderate-to-vigorous aerobic exercise interventions, produced clinically important and significant reductions in body weight and improvements in body composition among overweight-to-obese postmenopausal women.

Raj do you yourself actually workout at all?

Of course, the best benefit for exercise and diet is to maximize your sexual attractiveness/quality of life.

Doesn’t show much for obesity or life extension

That’s completely right everyone, no need to post anymore, eating healthily or exercising doesn’t help you live longer. End of discussion.

I agree. You first

Still confused, am I reading the study wrong? I admittedly don’t read them very often.

“A mortality reduction of 40% was associated with a moderate use of time (30 min 6 days a week) irrespective of whether the activity was light or vigorous.”
Wow, science is rational, who would’ve thought.

Here’s a nice graph for you as well, so if you look at line it goes down as you do more exercise per week. So the more you exercise per week the lower your mortality.

Really ground breaking stuff I know.

It’s 12 months with no follow up. It’s evidence just not overly compelling

Stop being fucking lazy and sinking down to “regular guy” level. It isn’t that hard for other “regular guys” to read shit and learn. Or is it your genes brah? Must be your genes. Nothing you can do to improve your life.

Such a sad outlook on the world.

1 Like

I particularly love how blatently these two things contradict each other. If you improve your sexual attractiveness by default you are improving body composition.

Obvious troll

How does that translate to long term there’s no impact? Was I reading the wrong link?

Not a troll, my comments are in relation to fighting obesity long-term

This is an interesting analysis between obesity and iq

I don’t dispute that overweight and obese people are in poorer health on average, and perhaps do have shorter lives. However, I don’t think it’s at all clear that this is caused by the obesity. It is quite likely, given what we know, that the poorer health results from a higher mutational burden in the overweight (i.e. genetic load), which contributes to both the obesity and the poor health.

In any case, impact from obesity on say cardiovascular health fairly small, less than a factor of two, which, for a wholly correlation result is pretty weak.

The idea is that people who are in poorer health have all around poorer genetic quality – in other words, they tend to have higher levels of genetic load (see here at West Hunter, or my HBD Fundamentals page for some discussion on genetic load). And thanks to pleiotropy – that is, genes that impact multiple systems in the body – we tend to see a lot of bad things going together.

Possibly evidencing that in the case of obesity is the connection between obesity and low IQ. It is commonly known that poorer (i.e., stupider) people tend to be fatter. It is commonly believed that this stems from things associated with low IQ, like poor impulse control and low future-time orientation, and indeed those things likely play a role. But it’s telling to see just how stark the relationship is.

Satoshi Kanazawa (who, despite the removal of his Big Think page, still very much publishes; see his website) did just that. Looking at a nationally representative primarily White British sample (n just under 10,000 in the last waves, 97% White), he found that IQ measured in childhood excellently predicts obesity at age 51:

I’m still confused how you presented a study that showed significant short term benefits for weight lose in regards to diet/exercise, and it had zero long term data, which you take as there being no long term benefit to weight in regards to diet/exercise?

1 Like

So based on your reading comprehension from earlier you should be YUGGEEEE amirite?

3 Likes

Just found out my nephew is in the 96th percentile in head size (IQ correlates to head and brain size).

I come from premium stock

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Did your nephew give Birth to you? I’m not sure that’s possible.

3 Likes

African, right?

I mean, don’t we all?

2 Likes

Lol y’all still going at it

Help us