Biology of Race

1 word: poorly, even worse with Trump as president. [quote=“therajraj, post:1454, topic:228119”]
Maybe black people don’t care for school
[/quote]

Maybe.

1 Like

From my thinking, this method of tracking down the right people would have to be damn near foolproof (I’m thinking 99%+ accurate). The level of harm vs good that stems from paying a single person money they weren’t owed and the public finding out, coupled with the fact that the level of incompetence we see out of the government on a damn near hourly basis, that even if a way COULD be determined to that accuracy (it probably can’t) I still wouldn’t trust the US govt to execute it.

I’m still seeing a sea of downsides and virtually no upsides, and hell I don’t even agree that a single penny should be spent. To entertain the idea fully would probably uncover more downsides than my brain can handle.

For levity sake:

2 Likes

I read
Their bones are too dense from the rice.
Whaaaaaaa? LOL

3 Likes

I see.

I don’t mind a discussion, that’s what we’re doing now, and that’s what was done after Coates published his article. But I see no value in escalating it to the point where we take it seriously as policy.

Re: your view on the weakness of progress if it can be upset so easily: that’s human relations, and it extends beyond race. Could be a business relationship, a marriage, anything - it exists with mutual respect, and at times, armistice and forgiveness over bad history. Add a fresh round of blaming for wrongs done and demands for contributions to make it right? You run the risk of fraying or even destroying those relationships. Race relations are no different, and that isn’t a sign of the weakness of the progress made. It’s an unavoidable condition to human nature.

That doesn’t make any sense. Tolerance is based on mutual respect and trust, and how easy is it to forfeit trust? Moreover, getting mad at one another doesn’t translate into all the whites joining the Klan and all the blacks joining racist black separatist groups - it means they trust each other less and spend less time with one another or personal levels, a bad outcome in light of the progress we’ve made.[quote=“EyeDentist, post:1451, topic:228119”]
Funny, I suspect they’d say the same about you and your opinions on the subject.
[/quote]

Well, between them and me, one of us has to be right and one of us has to be wrong, and I didn’t rely on abstractions in my example. I produced real-world fears that stand a very good chance of coming to pass. Based on the list of potential real-world risks that could come from advancing a case for reparations to Congress, that’s not an era I want to live through, nor do as think my country would benefit from living through it.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I missed this, was busy trolling the troll. This is priceless. I hate falling through those floors when I go ice skating :fearful:

3 Likes

It would be like America status post the civil war. Republican Congress passed all kinds of measures to help improve the lives of African Americans. Lincoln was assassinated, and Andrew Johnson was like “nah congress” to please all his Southern democrats…and everybody was pissed. It was a shit show.

But I don’t think it would be the same for a reason I’ve been noting: right after the Civil War, the perpetrators of the crime were present. And a number of “reparations” were undertaken (40 acres and a mule, Freedmen’s Bureau, land carve-ups, etc.). Those efforts were short circuited later, but the people of the era had the benefit of being able to point the finger at the perpetrators to say you are responsible for this, and you are going to pay for it, so give up land, etc.

Fast forward to now, we don’t have any of the perpetrators, we have no one who caused the harm. We can’t point the same finger. We have an attenuated argument that well, you may not have caused it, but you enjoyed the benefit of it is some way.

To which, moderns will say, how can I be liable for slaveholding when I never held slaves? And it’s a really good argument.

Imo it’s a pretty unbeatable argument. Unless we want to cross the threshold into territory of punishing people for the crimes of their ancestors.

For anyone keeping track, @EyeDentist view of race has no way of recognizing Rachel Dolezel isn’t African American

Hey @EyeDentist

Here is a picture of Toronto Raptors color commentator jack armstrong with his adopted children. Often times children who have been given up for adoption do not know their family history prior to being adopted. How do we figure out if they’d be eligible for reparations?

It may be worthwhile to note that the same problems he would face in determining the lineage of these people and deciding which race they are, you would face tenfold.

No it would not

If you’d care to elaborate beyond a dog analogy I’d be genuinely interested.

You’re a troll it was explained to you in Other thread

Secondly there are people who are mullatto that have slavery ancestry even if they aren’t fully African American.

Since race is biological dna testing could be done

You posted a quote from someone acknowledging races exist and completely dodged when I asked for clarification. Maybe I misunderstood?

Is mulatto a race now (because that was kinda the origin of my entire “define race” question)?

Agreed. So what race is someone whom is 33% chinese, 33% western EU, and 33% african?

1 Like

Whatever you say troll

Shouldn’t be all that hard to acknowledge race exists but subsequently accept that you don’t have an answer on how to define it.

I sure have.

Trololololol

Famous last words of the new age man that doesn’t have an answer. Kudos, you’ve become part of the new age.