Biology of Gender

Well it was your story. Did you ever ask the prof if he had evidence that women were ‘ill suited’ due to lack of natural ability, inclination to be in STEM field as a career, or if he was just being an asshole to women?

The last was your conjecture and I was more or less ribbing you personally - since I am probably the prof’s (and your dad’s age) and you are definitely my daughter’s age.

My daughter thinks I don’t know jack in the same proportion that I didn’t think my parents knew anything,
:slight_smile:

Now if we could just get an “Asian American” Month, “Puerto Rican” month and naturally a “Women’s” month. And who could argue that we definitely need a “gay” month and a “Transgender” month we’d be on our way to having some seriously good multi culture,err race…gender, sexual something or other um equality that is so very necessary for the US to survive and prosper. Because before all of this well we were just limping along.

I’m for it!

:wink:

Would his answer matter? Does a person exist today that could possibly have enough accurate information to say that 50% of the planet isn’t capable of performing a non physical job?

If the information did exist, again, would it matter? To tell someone they’re not right for something based on their gender before they’ve had a chance to prove themselves is a pretty hard line to back up.

Imo his age is a negative factor here. Trying to evaluate 50% of a generation that is completely different than the one he grew up with seems pretty damn stupid.

Also he was much later in life when I took his class. Probably late 60s early 70s if I had to guess.

Edit: I see @pfury beat me to it.

If you’ll remember, my original comment wasn’t directed at you, so it doesn’t really matter what you said.

There are myriad problems with using IQ as a measuring stick of intelligence. I suggest you educate yourself on that score before jumping into a discussion of the subject with both feet.

Oh good it’s nice to see that we are getting there. We are celebrating all the differences in our country. That will certainly unite us in the end.

Huh?

Do minorities who celebrate their “history month” actually feel more pride from these months?

My guess is no, they probably feel it in their (dense) bones that if a month is needed how could it possibly be that important when looking at history as a whole for a country.

The most important history should naturally stick out and doesn’t need a special month

1 Like

This will be my last reply of he said / he said due to a rat’s nest I must sort out
(4 months of a new client’s business records unrecorded and in a box, and an admission that "I don’t really understand QuickBooks and have just put entries wherever [in business 11 years] but I am having a hard time telling if I really make any money. man oh man @anon50325502) :grimacing:

This I don’t follow - more women graduate than men by a huge number and for decades, with only 1 in 7 in engineering. Is your main attribution to the end result, sector discrimination by entrenched males? Or some cultural dissuasion, rather than a female’s predilection towards other areas, that might be biological based?

I am familiar with Black Swan (from the standpoint of an economic event). In reality, how many subjects can be proven to be absolutely true without there being one false case? Humans have 1 head per body.
Have any conjoined twins ever been born, miscarried, aborted? The same with 2 headed babies?

Yes, but since it is so few out of tens of billions of births, miscarries, abortions - isn’t it practical (while not passing Falsifiability test) to consider humans have 1 head? Useful to stimulate the thinking process - perhaps. Other than that, I don’t see the value.

Anyway, we’re good on my part.
I have a morass with my name on it.

1 Like

Ok I’ll drop it.
See my post to ED.

I have a beating to take and I’m stalling instead of eating the frog.

I’m aware of these problems however it is the most efficient way of categorising someones intelligence from a fairly simple test. Sure it’s got flaws as only measuring certain forms of intelligence, but until someone comes up with a better system it’s the best system of measuring intelligence we have. [quote=“EyeDentist, post:149, topic:228430”]
If you’ll remember, my original comment wasn’t directed at you, so it doesn’t really matter what you said.
[/quote]

Still missed the point I was making of the benefits of a high IQ and then stated the relationship between them and intelligence isn’t well known or clear. You can’t just ignore someones point and blatantly say something to someone else about the very nature of the point.

I’m saying that it is at least as likely that women’s under-representation in, e.g., engineering is due to discrimination/cultural dissuasion as it is to be due to some sort of ‘female predilection.’

That depends upon the assertion under consideration. If the assertion is ‘All swans are white,’ then it only takes one black swan to burst it. (This is why scientists test theories/hypotheses by looking for evidence against, not for them.) If the assertion is ‘The vast majority of swans are white,’ or ‘Most swans are white,’ then a couple of black swans don’t matter as much. Of course, such statements are profoundly weaker formulations, so there’s a tradeoff involved. And while you make a reasonable point concerning extremely rare events, it’s important to recognize that, lurking on the other side of looking for counterfactuals, is the gremlin known as confirmation bias–something to be avoided to the extent possible.

Godspeed to Treco the poster in his dealings with Treco the morass.

This reminds me of the old joke about the guy who loses his keys one night in the middle of the block, but insists on looking for them near the street corner because the light’s better down there. He probably won’t find what he’s looking for, but at least he knows the search will be efficient.

I don’t know what “blatantly something to someone else” means, but am not inclined to pursue it further.

And this reminds me of my initial experience with IQ tests.

On a personal note: I was given them periodically when I was younger because my behavior seemed a bit bizarre. There were a good hand full of problems, and I guess they used it to find out “Well, it isn’t because he’s stupid.”.

Which leads me to the question- What are they actually for?

Seems hilarious. So what do you propose to measure intelligence since you are far more inclined to know what constitutes a satisfactory test than Alfred Binet. Maybe a comprehensive test of social, language, comprehension, mathematical problems or a myriad of signs of intelligence.

Good luck brother!

An IQ test is used to measure your IQ. And your IQ low or high predict various things such as:
“Scoring highly on an IQ test can forecast significantly higher success levels in all areas of life. In fact, even though IQ tests were initially designed to predict only school achievement, more than a century’s worth of scientific research has shown they’re also predictive of other, seemingly nonintellectual achievements, like better, longer, and happier romantic relationships, creative and artistic talents, socioeconomic status, and even health and longevity. IQ tests have even been found to predict a person’s life expectancy as well as personality traits like self-control, prudence, and risk taking.”
Source:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/04/what-does-iq-really-measure

About your story in particular, if you scored below 70 on the IQ test it’s a very accurate way of testing whether your mentally retarded. So congrats on passing that test I guess.

lol, nice…

hugh: I say this with all respect, because I generally like you and I’m especially impressed given your age.

With that said, please be advised that a lengthy, lengthy discussion of IQ tests has taken place on the “Biology of Race” thread. And comments like this:

And this:

…are not a great way to foster discussion. The guys that you are speaking to are well beyond the need for testing their IQ; at a certain point, what you’ve accomplished in life matters an awful lot more than an IQ test. EyeDentist is on his second career as an ophthalmologist after a first act as a clinical psychologist (not that I expected you to know that, just letting you know some background). As for Skyzyk…well, actually he might be retarded, actually, I wouldn’t put too much stock in him passing that IQ test :slight_smile:

Seriously, I like you and think you’re a great contributor here. Please don’t make the mistake of assuming you’re telling these guys something they’ve never heard before.

3 Likes

This is an honest question because I just don’t get the infatuation on here with IQ, what insight does knowing an IQ number provide? Does it mean this person will be a good employee? Does it mean this person will be able to complete x or y task?

So I’m like double retarded and then some?

Not too disregard your input, but there are some specific reasons I was looking for EDs insights in this. As a predictive tool I guess it may offer some insights in a general way, but there are a plethora of co-factors that contribute to level of achievement in life.

How will America fare if the average IQ of a European is 100, while the people coming into replace them average 85?