Biology of Gender

You seem to have failed to notice that part about '“certain STEM fields are well down the list.”

You missed the point here. The point is that one cannot use the terms ‘IQ’ and ‘intelligence’ interchangeably, because the relationship between them is not well-elucidated.

I said nothing of ‘not liking IQ.’

On a different subject, you have posted two extensive quotes without providing a link to the source. Bad form.

So much for “Not trying be combative.”

Why do we even need to measure intelligence or IQ?

Better understanding our brains cannot be a bad thing

Yeah…many white men on the left seem to hate white men for some reason. I wonder why they find it difficult to have as much pride in who they are as any other group? Of course the left dictates that only minority groups are worthy…

Awfully broad brush there my friend.

It’s entirely possible to acknowledge white men caused a lot of problems in history without hating them for it.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a broad brush. But it was to make a point.

I agree that white men have caused a lot of problems. But on the same token they have also virtually created almost every aspect of our modern society. From inventions to art, science, literature…the list is virtually endless.

So…I wonder why I never hear of the great things that white men have done?

No balance right?

Really?
Yesterday you tried to swamp my statement that a tenured professor would likely know more about who could succeed in his chosen field than a college student who had sat under one of his classes.

My evidence - 2 sets of numbers showing that women are barely represented in that field, while graduating 50% more college students overall.

Your evidence - there are now black QBs, when they used to be considered not up the task
Your summary - Pro coaches know more than misogynist professors
Your coup de grace - finding an exception is far more important than an expected result that occurs with many times more frequency.

1 Like

Um, what? The “mainstream liberal media” isn’t exactly suppressing information of the achievements of white man, lol.

I managed to learn about Thomas Edison (inventions!), Vincent van Gogh (art!), Albert Einstein (science!), and Charles Dickens (literature!) before leaving junior high school. I can hear about the latest iPhone and the Tesla and Uber’s work on autonomous cars simply by clicking an open Internet browser and seeing the day’s default headlines. Are you salty that they don’t credit Steve Jobs and Elon Musk specifically for being white men?

Are other people being given credit for this? Also we’re now in the age where innovation isn’t on behalf of a single race. 200 years ago pretty much every scientific achievement was achieved by white men. Such is not the case anymore.

What things has the white man done lately that he deserves exclusive credit for and isn’t getting it?

Whenever it’s a technology invented by white men they use “we” as in humanity as a whole. Whenever it’s a non white they specifically name the population.

"We landed a man on the moon "

Are you under the impression that white men were the ONLY driving factor into landing on the moon?

1 Like

Bro, it was one white guy. Stop being politically correct.

1 Like

Yes.

Title: Blacks scarce as men on moon at launch

read page 6

What you don’t understand is that arguing on the Internet is far more important than the actual topic being discussed. I feel that as long as we are both occupying our time here…pounding out post after post…that this will somehow eventually do two things: First it will change the world and how people think, Secondly, it will certainly help us achieve our personal and career goals.

:sunglasses:

I’m not sure what “tried to swamp” means. I did attempt to rebut it, but did so in (what was intended to be) a civil manner.

I’m not sure why you feel this supports your argument. It seems to support mine at least as well, if not moreso.

I must not have explained myself well. My point was, the argument ‘highly experienced authorities in a given field believe that women/blacks/etc aren’t well-suited to work in the field’ has a checkered history and unimpressive track record.

That’s Karl Popper’s contention, not mine. And it has proven highly useful as an approach to advancing knowledge in empirical fields of inquiry.

Exactly. Why doesn’t America celebrate White History Month? Because every month in America is white history month. Not because of intentional racism; rather, as a function of America’s history of being a white-dominated society.

I don’t expect that to ever happen. But what baffles me is why we don’t have a “Native American” history month. Then again maybe we do and I missed it. I don’t pay much attention to that stuff too busy working and of course posting.

To be fair, you were questioning whether or not a professor is telling all women they don’t belong in engineering because they know better or if they’re simply being misogynistic.

Are these profs privy to some knowledge that women as a gender are inherently incapable of high level math?

You are incorrect. Non whites not physically stepping onto the moon isn’t the same not being a driving force in making it happen.

It was 6 months ago (Nov '16). Probably not publicized due to the population size. To be fair the only reason I know is because my daughter’s school dedicated a couple days to it.

As usual you are on top of things!

I missed that bit since you were talking about top 10 of the high IQ’s. [quote=“EyeDentist, post:125, topic:228430”]
The point is that one cannot use the terms ‘IQ’ and ‘intelligence’ interchangeably, because the relationship between them is not well-elucidated.
[/quote]

Did you miss the part where I said the benefits of a high IQ and they are elucidated quite well.

Well I inferred that you didn’t like people using IQ as a measuring stick of intelligence, perhaps because you score poorly on them and view your self as intelligent or perhaps another reason for the distaste.

My reasoning for knowing someones IQ would be to know their intelligence and see how well they could complete mentally challenging tasks.